Any V. Islanders present?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tashunka, Oct 4, 2005.

1. tashunka

tashunka GottaGetDirty

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    I'm new to this board and even newer to the community. To be honest I don't even have a bike yet, but the wife (and the banker) have given me the go-ahead, so I'll probably be on 2 wheels before christmas.

Any riders from Vancouver Island here?
  2. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check your PM
  3. Taxguy

Taxguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup. Riding up to Boomerang Lake and beyond tomorrow - meet at Wastelands at 10:00 if you are in.
  4. tashunka

tashunka GottaGetDirty

Oddometer:
    Hey Taxguy....
    So, how was the ride this weekend? A wee bit wet perhaps? I'm actually still in the process of buying, just beginning my hunt really. So I probably won't actually OWN a bike for a couple/few weeks. But when I do, you can bet I'll be eager to get out there.

What kind of riding do you typically do? What do you ride?
  5. Taxguy

Taxguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The weather was good on Saturday and we had a great ride. I crashed early on and broke my clutch lever, but who needs a clutch anyway?

I do a lot of trail riding with my kids on my KLX400 and also do some forest service road exploring on my V-Strom 650.

What type of bike are you looking for?
  6. tashunka

tashunka GottaGetDirty

Oddometer:

Ah, that sucks about the clutch lever, but I guess it could have been much worse.

I'm not 100% on what bike I'm going to get. I've always wanted a KLR650 and was pretty sure that would be my best bet, but I ran into an '88 DR750 and was thinking that might be a good choice.... then I was thinking a DRZ400 might be better, more fun in the dirt and on the trails but I think I might be a bit too big for that (6'1", 210 lbs)..... so now I'm leaning back to the KLR650. Ultimately, if money wasn't an issue I'd go for a F650-gs, but that aint gonna happen this time around. KLR's are reasonably easy to find and there are tons of parts and aftermarket tweaks available.. probably my best bet.......
  7. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
    The DR750 sounds interesting...

Don't overlook the newer DR650. A very capable Dualsport bike. (btw...I have an '03 for sale!) hehe

There's a bunch of us Islanders that meet for coffee and rides.
  8. tashunka

tashunka GottaGetDirty

Oddometer:

yeah Buck, I've seen your '03 on the islandriders board. I'm very interested. I've decided against the dr750 and right now I'm leaning towards the Dr650 as 1st choice and KLR for 2nd. It'll matter on the financing. I should have cash in hand and actually out there shopping first or 2nd week of november. If you still have your bike then, I'll take a look for sure.
  9. Van Isle

Van Isle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't got around to registering with dualsportbc yet, but soon. I have been for a few rides with those guys, and I check the website often. Good times, and the group seems to be growing all the time, which is good.

I ride an F650GS which I beat the snot out of. The last ride I did with these guys I managed to do some slide testing of the gear. Not much damage, nothing a little bit of electrical tape on the turn signals and judicious bending of soft metals didn't cure.

Vancouver Island is, as you probably know, a pretty awesome place to ride dualsport.

Peace
  10. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
    Thinking back...was that our Nitinat/Walbran ride in late spring?

C'mon out for a coffee most Thursday evenings.
  11. Taxguy

Taxguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems to happen to the F650GSs, another one went down just last weekend.