Anybody get a ride on the new Vulcan 650S yet?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by LuciferMutt, Mar 28, 2015.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I've never owned a cruiser, but the littlelest Vulcan has really piqued my interest. Think it looks awesome in white (without the stupid green wheel stripes). I haven't found much in the way of (good, professional) reviews on it. May toodle over to the dealer soon to sit on one. The ergo-fit thing is pretty cool too, and makes you wonder why more manufacturers didn't do that sooner. Anybody manage to get a ride on one or own one yet?
  2. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    I haven't as of yet, however there is a very positive review by Bruce Steever in the April 2015 MCN.
  3. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looked at one.
    Was more impressed with the CTX 700 naked.
    Better handling, better mileage
  4. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Many cruisers look great but, the weight has always kept me away from them. I sat on a Vulcan 650S at the dealer expecting it to be another block of lead & was pleasantly surprised when it popped up off the stand feeling not much heavier than the CB 500F I rode in on. It must carry it's weight down low as it has a claimed weight of 498lbs.

It was the white one & I thought it looked GREAT, much better in person than in pictures. Fit & finish all seem to be of quality but, I wasn't looking too seriously at the bike. I just found myself thinking about it more & more as I rode home. I'd love to get a test ride on one myself as I'm far more impressed with the Vulcan S than any other cruiser I've seen. I like the idea of it being a P-twin which breaks the image of it being a "Harley clone".

I'm thinking it will be a big seller for Kawasaki & hopefully it will inspire an 800-1000cc (as long as the weight stays down) "big brother". The Vulcan S has the best chance of putting me on a cruiser of anything available so far. :wink:
  5. Wallachian Spikes

Oddometer:
    Did you come to this conclusion from an actual ride or did you figure it out from a simple "look"? Nothing wrong with liking what you like but, a test ride can often change your mind.

I do like the look of the CTX but, I didn't see any claim of wet weight on the Honda web site.
  6. nbsdave

Oddometer:
    A ride on each.
    The CTX was more responsive through the gears in my opinion.
    It's almost 500 lbs. but felt a lot lighter to me. Stopped well and shifted real nice. The forward pegs were different from my V Strom, but not a deal killer.
    As a result of the rides, I sold my '08 DL 1000 and got a naked CTX (red).
    I will be adding a windshield, no bags (I used to carry too much crap), have small tail bag. Doesn't need much else for me. Didn't buy it for mpg but it's been 65 or so on the first 4 tanks. Not as soft a ride as the Strom(or previous bikes-better than my Triumph America though) but it is what it is. 6400 rev line takes getting used to-so you work the gears 2500 - 5500 instead of 3500 - 7500(or more). Does it for me.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  7. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Ditto....I've never owned a cruiser, but the new Vulcan has me questioning my "cycle orientation..."
  8. jwoods986

jwoods986 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never owned a cruiser either, but would consider one now since I rode my first one last Fall. The Vulcan S is interesting, and worth a look, but if you're looking for something that is not a Harley clone, don't forget about the Triumph cruisers, they have parallel twins too.

I was expecting this S to sell well, and hope it does, but I was at an Open House on Sat and they had demo rides going with 4 bikes to choose from - an 1190 adv, super duke, CB1100, and the new Vulcan S. By the time I got there, the rides were over, but I was looking at the sign-up sheets, and ONE person had ridden the S all day! Not good. Of course, the 2 KTMs had pretty full sheets, but even the CB (which isn't exactly selling like hotcakes) had about 4 names on it.
  9. Wallachian Spikes

Oddometer:
    Does it have the "frunk" like the NC700X? The frunk is an awesome bonus compared to any machine. Weight wise they are about the same & C.O.G. could easily be lower on the CTX.
  10. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 600S is included in a small cruiser comparo in the June issue of Motorcyclist. It came in second behind the Bolt, and ahead of,(from 3rd to 6th), the Triumph America, Honda CTX700N, Suzuki Blvd M50, Harley Street 750. Comments were generally positive. The biggest negative was limited rear suspension travel(kinda normal for cruisers, it seems). They really liked the adjustable ergos.
  11. nbsdave

Oddometer:
    no frunk
    a small cubby in front of the tank fill (which is not under the rear seat) but is under a lift up access cover and a little room under the seat
    it handles surprisingly well once you get used to the feet forward position
  12. tradmark

tradmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, just picked up my wifes in grapevine texas this weekend. The custom fitting they did allowed it to fit her perfectly. My summation is that its a little
    Light cruiser that will do highway speeds easily, its very stable. I was able to overtake on the highway easily in top gear at 80 and the lil thing shot up to 90 pretty quick. It handles very well, enough so that she can have some fun at trackdays with us. This with me being 290lbs with riding gear on. She rode
    It today and loved it. She rode for 3 hrs tonight and quite frankly couldnt think of a more perfect bike for her and ill admit, it doesnt trip the trigger for me like the vmax or my ninja 1000 but its a fun fun bike to ride and id have no qualms about taking it as far as i wanted to go.
  13. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    brother picked his green one up last week. gonna see if he'll let me ride it this weekend... :evil:deal
  14. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Great input, thanks!
  15. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
    Test ride a Bolt too if you can. It's 540lbs same as a Honda CB1100, but the weight is carried low.

They handle great and have a neutral seating position.
  16. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    brother let me ride his for about 20 miles. this is a GREAT town bike, and surprisingly nimble. i mean, you can ride it for distance fine (not sure what the tank size is), but its in-town and low-speed manners are impeccable, even braking in. compared to my old triumph america, this thing feels like it weighs half as much. kawi hit this one out of the park. :freaky

it's really fun to bounce off redline, too :deal
  17. Tigre

Tigre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your 650S experience.
  18. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Went to the dealer today to look at one and sit on it. They already had one set up in the extended position for tall riders (i'm 6'2") and it was surprisingly comfortable and the pegs are not as far forward as I was expecting. They are certainly forward, but they are pretty high too. I did feel like my knees were pretty high and the mirrors seem weird, but I'm not used to mirrors mounted on the handle bars.

I asked for the OTD price and was quoted $8645 for the white ABS model I was sitting on. That's $1245 on top of the MSRP...seems like a lot but I've heard worse. They did not break it down on the sheet what was adding up to that sum, so I asked the salesman. He said tax, documents and "destination." I stared at him for a while and then he said "most of it is destination." What the hell is destination? Freight plus set up fees?

Anyway, the bike certainly has a nice presence. I really like the styling a lot, and I've never been a cruiser guy. The forks are not skinny at all, like some pictures seem to show. Everything looks and feels very substantial, and it's well balanced while sitting there. Foot controls look like they have good adjustability -- they were set wrong given the position of the pegs and I had to lift my feet off the peg to get them on the brake pedal and shift lever.

I inquired about a test ride and was informed, interestingly enough, that they would consider allowing me to take it out. I think it helped that I showed up on the VFR in full gear which is covered in dead bugs. I have most of next week off so I may go back and see if I can swing that test ride.
  19. Star-Bellied Sneetch

Star-Bellied Sneetch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread resurrection. Kawasaki was having a ride event yesterday, and I rode one. Wanting to buy a cruiser. Wasn't really interested in this bike but it was the only cruiser available to ride. Fell in love with it quickly. May buy one today. Loved the engine, the light weight, and the handling. The ergo-fit system is genius. Did not love the rear suspension, but what do you expect with 3.1 inches of travel? Accessories are plentiful and fit my cheap nature. It sits like a cruiser but rides like a standard.

Also rode the W800 and didn't like it at all.
  20. Star-Bellied Sneetch

Star-Bellied Sneetch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought the Vulcan 650s. Picking it up from the dealer Friday!