Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorCade, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know that I'm backsliding here, but I had a question about the airbox oil drain tube on the V7ii. On all my other guzzis the tube is prominent and hangs down but I can't seem to find it on my Stornello. Am I blind? Or do I just need to drink a beer before I look? Haha

I have some serious servicing to do all three of the bikes are due for valve adjustments and oil changes and I'll be doing the first service on the mgx as well.

Has anyone done a beetle map on a stornello or V7? I really like the stock fueling on the bike but know that the beetle map made a big improvement on the Griso and Norge. I did swap out the exhaust can for the Mistral and haven't noticed a change in performance, and there is no popping on overrun. Would be interested to know if anyone has done one and what you think of it.
  2. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    I put the GT shocks, $400 + freight shocks and straight weight fork springs on my III. hard to really say how much better they are because they take about 2000 miles to break in so it's not a instant change. They are certainly better though. Never bottom out, there is obviously a shock working back there. Unfortunately with my 235# and the short stroke you can only expect so much. This is another case where a full 6" would be better! I hope to catch up with Bill this week and switch bikes with him for a bit. I might be able to give a fairer comparison then.
  3. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    Man, all these pics of the IIIs are making me do math... and wondering how much I'd be out if I got rid of my V7 Special and traded up.

...and then I remember how much work it took to get this one "sorted", and unsure if I wanna do that again.
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you'll be able to find some good sorted used deals in the next year or so.
  5. robberst

robberst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My V7 II doesn't exactly have an oil drain tube but has these two stubs to collect a little extra oil.
    image1.jpeg

When I changed oil the first time after the break-in period the airbox probably had a cup of oil in it and had me a little worried. After the second oil change there was a small puddle in the bottom.
    There hasn't been any noticable amount collected in there since.

Attached Files:

Bulldog9 likes this.
  6. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I should check the IIID as it's still on the lift. But IIRC my MKI has a drain tube that runs TO the crankcase to return oil from the breather to the case. I believe it also has the nubbins to catch excess in the box. It wasn't more than damp in the bottom of the box last time I checked, but it's been a while.
    Bulldog9 likes this.
  7. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Quick question: Is there a difference between new and 2017 V7s? I am liking the Milano, but the nearest dealer to me (Honolulu) has a pair of 2017 Stones at $6990. Other than paint and instrumentation, is there any real differences from the 2017s?

Mahalo!

doc
  8. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    If it's a iii it's the same. I'm not 100% sure but I think the v7iii began in 2017.

there are significant differences between the v7ii and V7iii. If you read back in this forum you'll find some pretty thorough discussions on the differences.
    rkover1 and Kevm like this.
  9. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    So my mkI and MkIII look different at a glance, not only from each other but from the MKII Stornello judging from that pic.

The mkI Stone seems to have two directly routed vapor input hoses and one output/drain hose that I think runs to the crankcase (too lazy to crawl on the floor between bikes this morning).

IMG_20190620_072229624.jpg

The MkIII also has two vapor hoses, but they appear very circuitously routed vapor hoses, at least one with check valve of some sort. And instead of a hose run back to the crankcase or dual drain hoses there's one clear inspection/drain nubbin.

IMG_20190620_072023775.jpg

IMG_20190620_072045225.jpg
    Bulldog9 likes this.
  10. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Bold new colors", that's about it. Buy it, ride it, enjoy it, you'll not regret it.

Paul
    rkover1 likes this.
  11. 06motorradman

06motorradman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paint scheme differences for sure, but some models have wire wheels (tubed tires) and some have aluminum wheels (tubeless tires). Some models have a tachometer, some don't. Some have plastic sidecovers, some have aluminum sidecovers. Some have chrome pipes, some are black. Racers had Ohlins rear shocks, and base models did not. You have to decide which features are really important to you to narrow it down. Not an easy task.
  12. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2016 V7II Stone: Same airbox and drains as robberst.

Beetle map: My bike ran a bit rough (felt like the timing was off on one cylinder) between 3500 and 4000. Beetle map cured that and it runs amazingly smooth at all speeds (25,000 miles now), maybe a bit more power. Stock muffler. I did take a hit on fuel mileage, from 50 to 45 mpg, but a friend has the same map w/stock muffler on his V7II Stone and get 50 mpg. ??
    Bottom line: If you like the way it is running, don't change it.
    Roadscum and Kevm like this.
  13. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Yep. Doing that. On page 51 now: speculating about the upcoming 2015s.

doc
    Even Madder Matt and Kevm like this.
  14. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback! Of course I left work early today to get home and get to work on the Bikes, and came home to a sick dog who chose to find her 'relief area' RIGHT NEXT TO MY BIKES! :2cry
  15. Bama67

Bama67 Cooler in real life

Oddometer:
    Haven't been through the whole thread bit quick question.

Did the series III get heavier over the series II?
    Online I'm seeimg much higher quoted wet weights on the V7III. What gives?
  16. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Stalked the Guzzi demo truck again today.

I would have ridden the V85 again, if there weren't others who were more interested in it. So to be true to myself I rode the V9 and V7III back-to-back.

It both solidified how much I like the V9, but at the same time how unwilling I would be to get rid of one of our V7s to get one.

Then again it reminded me how the V85 feels like more a V7 motor than a V9, just a freer, higher, revving version with more hp.

Maybe the V85 is more a middle ground between a Duc and a Guzzi smallblock.

In contrast the V9 reminds me more of a Guzzi big block.

Oh and the V7 is more nimble while the V9 more stable than each other. The V85 is both nimble and stable, but feels much different from both.

A little bit, though I don't think it's that significant. It doesn't feel it and my wife has nothing negative to say about the weight of her V7III Carbon Dark compared to her ~ >400# wet M696.

That said I think I remember some bad specs the suggested the V7II was lighter than it was or maybe the III was heavier than it was. In the end there's a difference (which you'd expect from double walled exhaust, better shift and brake pedals that don't look like a high school shop project etc.) but it's nothing I can even feel when I stand up the III D vs my MkI V7 Stone. IMG_20190621_100033788_HDR.jpg IMG_20190621_111446896_HDR.jpg IMG_20190621_095140502_HDR.jpg
  17. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Bama67

Oddometer:
    That very article list curb weight as 467lbs.

I've always seen the V7s advertised as about 417 curb.

Thats whats confusing, because 50lbs is HUGE.
  19. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    If I was on my laptop I'd check my spreadsheet, but quick Google searches suggest that the 417# number was BS (maybe it was dry).

Here's a quote of my own I found with a Google search:

"Motorcycle Consumer News independently verified wet weights of 444# for an 09 V7C and 443# for a 13 V7R.

http://www.motorcycleconsumernews-d.../MobilePagedReplica.action?pm=1&folio=30#pg30
    "
    So even the V7C and MkI V7 were north of that 417 number and almost 445ish.

Add ABS, double-walled pipes, and other stuff and for sure 467 seems real. More importantly it's only 20-something pounds more. And as someone with a MkI Stone, MKIII Carbon Dark, and Duc 696 that weighs at least 67# less.... They all feel about the same.

Edit-quote from a Motorcycle.com article about the V7II Stone:

"The Stone handles better than its name implies, steering deliberately like a traditional Italian bike from the 1970s rather than a modern scalpel. Scaling in at 454 lbs full of about 35 lbs of fuel, the V7 is quite light, especially considering its shaft-drive layout is significantly heavier than a chain. Brakes are by Brembo, but they’re lacking power and feel compared to what we’ve become spoiled by from the famous Italian brake brand."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...i/2016-moto-guzzi-v7-ii-stone-review.html/amp
  20. Bama67

Oddometer:
    Awesome info. That clears it up thanks.
    Kevm likes this.