Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorCade, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    I'll second that SE Ohio motion with some V7 content.

[​IMG]

Other than those grand places to ride already mentioned, I'll toss in the Driftless area of SW Wisconsin, SE Minnesota, NE Iowa (yes, Iowa), and NW Illinois.

I spent two years riding out there 2011-13 and miss it. Well, I don't miss the Official State Bird of the area (the Housefly) or the olfactory delights around dairy farms, but the roads made it worth it.

Bill
  2. T120

T120 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike ya got there ;-) IMG_8035.JPG
  3. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    555 in OH is a blast
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    True that. I'm also recalling a 55? Or a 51? And something with a 2? Anyway, just lots of great options in a small area.
  5. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The South end of 555 is 30 minutes from the house. I'll put it on the list. Looks like I can loop up 144 thru Coolville hit 329 then 78 and come back 555. Looks like fun.

Capture.JPG
  6. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    I have the Rough which came with the Pirelli MT60 tubed tires. I've rode on Metzeller and Michelin 80/20 style tires but these Pirellis don't give me a lot a confidence in the corners. Can anyone else relate? Often times I can scrape pegs but I just get some uneasy feeling being leaned over on these tires.

I'm about to replace the rear and then after that one wears out, I can switch to a whole new set.

EDIT: Also, how do you reset the maintenance icon? I have a 2018 Rough. Instructions I've found mention a button on the dash. I don't have that. All I have is the MODE button by the starter switch. Followed the same procedure but did nothing.
  7. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    Plenty of us have switched to the Conti Road attack series. Much improved if you ask me.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  8. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    i rode up there with my cousin a couple of years ago. Full of hope only to find them pea graveling it!
  9. ParkedPatina

ParkedPatina Duke of ROFLs and LMAOs

Oddometer:
    When I was shopping for my now-current bike 2 years ago I test rode a V7/III Racer and it was really really tempting, especially considering the price. I only stalled it once, it felt like we were made to be together.

I ended up going with a BMW because it seemed less risky as BMW is a "bigger" company (even though I know Guzzi is owned by giant Piaggio).

About 6 months later our only Guzzi dealer, Moto International, went out of business. *THE* moto guzzi dealer in the country. So I felt like I dodged a bullet (but I was still really bummed about the news).

Then this spring the only BMW (and Ducati) dealer in my city went out of business with no warning. Freakin' bike industry.

I still really want a V7/3 stone or Racer, I love the V85TT as well.
  10. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    We all make mistakes.

Or stated another way, there are no guarantees. Follow your bliss!
  11. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Test rode a V7 III Special today. I'm feeling... confused... I liked it, but not sure it's for me... I still gotta sleep on it.

The good - sounds good, even stock. Engine is a peach, didn't seem to care what gear I was in (within reason). Looks phenomenal. Enough power to enjoy a good backroad, and even hangs on a normal freeway.

The bad - we don't have 'normal' freeways, here. On my ride back home, I'm not sure if I'd be able to change my riding style to fit the bike and still feel safe. I used an awful high percentage of the power of my Ducati on the ride home. So that's something to think about. The seat was a little weird, felt like it wanted to tip me away from the bars and off the back of the bike. Nitpicking for sure at this point.

The test ride loop was short and didn't really give me a chance to gel with the bike. I think with more time I would have liked it more. For now I just gotta think on it.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sound like my London area friend who maintained that without the power of a liter bike he would be run over by Audis on the M1. If folks can ride 400cc bikes in the LA area, or Harleys, pretty sure a V7III will do just fine.

Plus your highways are at a standstill half the time anyway :p.
  13. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Somewhat unhappy with some recent “oil issues” with my Stornello, I ordered a sump extender from GuzziTech.

It came quickly, but I am still awaiting the gaskets from AF1. Still, I wanted to see how it fit and looked installed, especially as I also wanted to put on the Agostini sump protector I had on it with the stock sump.

In addition to gaskets, also had to order longer screws for the Ago plate. Got those from my McMaster-Carr; what an amazing operation that outfit is; impressive website, selection, and service. :clap

I hung it all together without torquing down tightly and here’s the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inasmuch as I really only ride dual-track roads when off pavement — at least that’s my theory when I set out :fpalm — I am not too concerned about the reduced clearance and think the risk worth the additional capacity and cooling. And, besides, that’s why I have the bash plate. :augie This is a "before" without the Ago.

[​IMG]

Bulldog bought one from a different vendor for his Stornello, so will be curious about differences. The GT one is very well machined and finished.

And, while a not inexpensive experiment, it will come off if problematic.

Bill
    wncstrada, chethro and Dave Swanson like this.
  14. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Ditto. :clap

Black Mountain Overlook?

BTDT on all except Stornello and the blue III. In good time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill

The only time I have scraped the pegs is when "I laid her down." :D:fpalm

That said, I am not as enthusiastic about the Contacs as others here, tho think their numbers and experiences outweigh my own anecdata. I try hard not to be a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge man "for life," but keep coming back to Michelin. Tire technology seems to advance exponentially, so when it's time for new shoes, I'll be open minded.

Have to say that I have overcome some initial disappointments with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires I put on my Stornello and now really like them. Yes, not a pure road tire, but the Rough isn't pure road. The PST II's are quite fine ... as were, BTW, the OEM's on the Stornello. Might even think about those for my III as I seem often to get lost on roads I shouldn't take! :augie

Oh, that "wrench" icon? It's a Piaggio scam to get you to the dealer. Only those forks have the magic machine to reset that. :dirtdog

Bill
    wncstrada, Dave Swanson and chethro like this.
  15. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    Never let seat or screens determine if a bike "fits" or not. WAY too easy to change and most likely need it anyway as OEM is code for "torture chamber".
    Roadscum likes this.
  16. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Never owned anything with literbike power, so I'm not quite that far gone (my Ducati is 'only' 100hp). But the point is taken, especialy w/r/t Harleys - though I don't often see 400cc bikes cutting it up in rush hour on the 405 :D

When traffic is at a stand still there's no problem. The problem is when it goes from 80 to 0 to 80 in a breath. I was also riding a brand new bike and I didn't want to use everything it had, so I do think in practice it would be fine. I'm thinking back, and aside from a Van Van 200 I demo'd while working for Suzuki (which was so slow it was hilarious) and a DRZ 400 SM which I mostly hated, the the V7 is the least powerful street bike I've ridden. So I think it's more of a brain recalibration than anything else.

I actually found the seat very comfy - I think a bar with a little more forward lean or sitting further back on the seat might do the trick.

My previous post comes off more negative than I intended. It was a sweet bike and essentially everything I was expecting. I just need to decide if that's something I want in the garage.
    Kevm likes this.
  17. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to buy a V7II Special last year.
    The MT60RS? They’re the stock tires for the Ducati Scrambler as well. The compound is super sticky. You might feel the bike wiggling around a little because the tread blocks are so soft but grip isn’t an issue. They’re kind of infamous for not lasting very long and it’s because the compound is the same as Pirelli’s supersport tires.
  18. Soulbreeze

Soulbreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those that have had the O2 sensor issue: Did you buy an OEM piece or did you just splice in a generic automotive one?
  19. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I wrote a big reply but decided it was too preachy and deleted it. Summary, one DOESN'T HAVE TO ride that way on the highway. And I've got tons of anecdotes about it.

Uh, care to remind us what "O2 sensor issue" because I don't recall ever hearing of one fail on these things?
  20. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    One never knows about a seat until back to back to back distance days are experienced.