Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorCade, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Avner

Avner Not noob anymore Supporter

Oddometer:
    2021-06-12 13LR.jpg 2021-06-12 19LR.jpg The combination of Bill's hospitality and John's cooking is unmatched. Photo of post ride led by Bill and John's legendary Tres Leches cake with Irish Cream. Go Guzzi!
  2. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  3. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want to go to there!

[​IMG]
  4. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drone pic...:D

Wife just had her knee replaced, so couldn't leave home. Had a camping trip planned for this weekend at Pipestem, but had to move it. I hope to come East on a trip in July weather permitting.

Looking forward to more pics. It looks like a good crew made it.
  5. Tripod66

Tripod66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amber Alert? Everyone is on their phone!:rofl
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  6. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    NOT the two NJ guys.
  7. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Fair comment.

In, however, my questionable "defense," I was taking pix, not calling HQ's. You will pay the price of that in due course when I post those. I have 500 in my album now -- and 65 vids! -- but will cull those to at least a mere 450 & 20 or so. :D

Five survivors are still here. I can hear some snoring and little else, so their scheduled departure c. 9 may be ... erm ... delayed. :augie

Then, comes the reckoning of cleaning the battlefield before my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess returns from Seattle tomorrow. :sweeti

Seriously, the <20 Guzzisti and smattering of Other Branders who have been here for the past four days have been -- aside from convivial company :clap -- remarkably considerate. Avner, who posted the pix above -- and is the "pitcher" here ...

[​IMG]

... is a local Guzzista who will return at 10 to help me restore the place to at least resemble what Kathi left. Dave M., a Virginia Guzzista (& official MGTTD bartender), critiques Avner's form.

Must go. I heard a snort. Someone will be up for coffee soon.

Bill
    twowings, Allucaneat, Kevm and 4 others like this.
  8. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    So I might have a set of icon shocks that are coming off a 2017 V7III special for sale. These Icons are are the model you can adjust the weight and has 3 or 4 position rebound dampening. When I open the attic I will see if I have the model number on the box. The springs are setup for an American sized person and can be cranked up to support an American sized wife and some luggage. They have just around or less than 2000 miles on them. never down, garage kept.

Also I have to put the chrome bar back on the back and pull off a black rear rack for same bike that has even less miles on it. If someone is looking to pick up in person I might even sell that case and mount I have for it.

No idea what resale would be on something like this. I am in central Fl.
  9. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210612_113415612.jpg IMG_20210611_134208096.jpg After a greet weekend of riding some wrenching and all that goes on when 20 +/- MC enthusiasts gather at the Moto Grappa, knowing the back and off road prowess of the Stornello TT, I decided to see what 2 hours of super-slab would be like, I decided to stick to highways and do some 8oMPH cruising. Bike was stable as a rock, loaded pretty heavy with the left case loaded with guns & ammo, right case with tools & such and topcase with clothes. A bit more NVH than others, but LD highway riding will not be an issue.

The only hiccup was the rear tire pressure which went up to 105 and 45PSI. The PTMS started blinking red and beeping. So this leads to a dumb question. Starting pressure was 38PSI, and generally runs up to 42 for most of my riding. This was first time in a long while, and first time on the Shinko 705's. I would not have been worried about these temps or pressures on a normal ST tubless tire, but didn't want to push it. Slowed down to 70 and pressure dropped to 44 and 102. What is a safe/expected range for a 70/30 tube type setup?
  10. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m not a tire authority by any means, but I’m thinking the heavy load is too much for the 38 psi cold starting point. I suspect bumping it up to 40 or 42 would carry the weight better and prevent the squish that’s causing your friction/temp problem.
    pyoungbl likes this.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, does the manual give a “loaded” psi? On my AT I ran 42 in the rear 705 when I had a passenger, and it stated the same for full luggage.
  12. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere on this site--so it must be true!--that for street tires the target hot pressure should be 10% higher than cold. :dunno
  13. kottomack

kottomack blahblahblah...go ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can’t stay away from the Goose. So this followed me home today.
    2019 V7iii let the mods begin
    DBC46D41-33E1-42ED-8FFF-2547F35DC317.jpeg
  14. GerryP69

GerryP69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do. heading up tomorrow am. Staying at the Bridges Inn B&B.

I'll be waitin' for ya!!

0160211dc2a77303a3dc6ff93e338764e403a276e3.jpg

Gerry
  15. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking the same about starting at a higher pressure. Tubes and knobbies are a new experience. The rear is a tubless tire with a tube, so that may have generated more heat as well. Next trip that involves highway will adjust pressure. Was fine at 60-65 mph, only when sustaining 80 that I had a 'problem'. I haven't been able to find a recommended max HOT pressure, max cold is 41-42. I was also thinking that even the 105 temp was not a big deal as that is often the ambient temperature.

I was impressed with the comfort and ability of the bike, the windscreen, suspension and bags settle the bike and it tracked very well, even with the 70/30 rubber.
    HarveyMushman likes this.
  16. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have Dunlop motorcycle tires made right by us. As such, we have the tire guys come and speak every year. Rule of thumb is no more that 10% change between cold and hot. They say this gets you real close and personal preference +/- a pound or two at most from there.
  17. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    I find that 10% on the front is rare but 15% on rear is common. Brand and ambient temps affect it too. A gold wing rear will go 20 in 85 degree heat easy. As to temperatures front rarely goes up 5 but rear 15-25 is common. All based on ten years using on as may bikes and tire brands.
  18. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would seem to suggest starting values need to be adjusted.
    Bulldog9 likes this.
  19. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    KoF, I think you meant to write "no more than 10% change". The 10% goes way back in time...I remember hearing it from racers in the '60s, like it was old news then. The 'recommended' pressure, either from the bike manufacturer or tire maker, will be something super general and processed through the legal department. Extra weight, really hot road surface, high average speed...none have been factored in. The 10% rule reflects your individual situation on a given day. On a long cross country trip I'll check pressure every day because it can change due to elevation changes or even atmospheric pressure. Yes, anal but I have been caught by excessive tire wear mid trip where I had to buy an 'almost the right size' tire just to get home. Never again!
    HarveyMushman and Bulldog9 like this.
  20. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've always followed the no more than 10% rule, and on my normal rides, backroads, etc, both come up 3-4lbs. It was only the rear that went up so high almost 10lbs when at sustained highway speeds. I should have aired up to 40lbs before the ride with all that weight.