Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorCade, Oct 20, 2012.

1. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having had the opportunity to examine a few hemi-head smallblocks now I'm beginning to think they probably won't 4V it. Certainly there is a space for a secondary plug in the head but it's location actually speaks of twin plugging the 2V motor rather than adding two more valves a side and moving the plug to a central location.

To be honest though the 'Radar' I used to have to see what Guzzi were likely to do in the future seems to have stopped functioning since the Piaggio takeover. Perhaps as much as anything because they have ceased to produce anything of any interest to me and they don't look like they will again anytime soon.
  2. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it might be a bit roomier. If I had to guess I’d say the seat is taller. I was comfortable, a bit less scrunched than I am on my III. Was a short ride though.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  3. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    Oh well. I probably have more time for the V7’s than you, but I understand the lament nonetheless. Sure would be nice if they could make another effort at the CARC bikes …
  4. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    I saw a teaser recently...something about Guzzi announcing a new water cooled engine as part of their 100 year celebration. Hummmm.
  5. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely a modern airhead except it actually brakes, doesn't wallow through the curves with frame flex and has fuel injection. And easy maintenance. Enjoy your ride, it gets better every day.
    Kevm likes this.
  6. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently said by some Piaggio droid at a press conference. The thing is there have been precisely zero sightings of even the most basic prototypes anywhere. Usually there will be multiple sightings of new models. Look at the Aprilia RS660. That was seen all over the place up to a couple of years before it's launch.

From Guzzi? Nothing. Nothing around Mandello. Nothing around Noale. Nothing around Pontadera. No rumours in the press. Nothing apart from some windbag in a suit waffling at a press conference. Probably the same windbag who told a journalist a couple of years ago that the Stelvio had been built with two types of engine, one a 4V and one an 8V. Utterly ignorant of their own product and couldn't lie straight in bed.
  7. Yashko51

Yashko51 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone ridden the new V7-850 and a pre-20 Bobber V9?
    I was wondering if the performance and driveability were similar?
  8. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I wanna hear this too, or catch a ride on the 850 myself too compare.
  9. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    It might work on mine. :D:raabia

[​IMG]

Bill
  10. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    Bill, I hear the orange tractor delivery guy will bring a new V7-850 with on the same trailer for free! Delivery that is.
    I think I foresee one it the Az. garage.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  11. Githianki

Githianki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The seat on the 850 fits the V7iii. We swapped one at the rally to try. Made a difference in the seating position.
  12. Dave Swanson

Dave Swanson Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the chance to ride the V7-850 at the MGNOC National Rally in New Hampshire last week.

First and foremost! Major hats off and bow to Jim Hamlin and his crew for supporting the rally with demo bikes and needed service for many rally goers. The combined effort required for Hamlin's et al to pull this off had to be massive.

I told Jim when getting ready to leave on my ride that I had a 2015 V7 he told me "get ready to be impressed". I was hoping that I wouldn't be too overly impressed. :-)

The 2021 is better in all respects to my 3 gen prior V7. The very good stock suspension was the first thing that made itself known on the ride. I don't think I would ever feel the need to upgrade it. It felt very compliant.

The seat was much more comfortable than the stock plank on mine.

The engine was wonderful! It felt twice as powerful as my V7 and I love my V7 engine. I know it was only 15 extra hps or so but it felt like a big block had been squeezed in there! Passing power in 6th gear was a revelation! Passing in 5th on my bike is not it's strong suit.

The larger rear tire of the 2021 V7s is incredible when you compare it side by side to the 2020 V7III Jim brought along.

I was able to compare the pretty blue V7-850 Special side by side with the Centenary Livery. I had always thought I would plump for the blue Special but the Stone in Centenary Livery won me over.

I love my sweet 2015, but this one is just mo better in every regard. It is working on me but I am trying my best not to think about it.

[​IMG]
    jon_l, KildareMan, NickDC and 8 others like this.
  13. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    Nice to meet you, Dave!
  14. TeneRay

TeneRay Shlong Timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have problems riding their V7 III in the rain? I see the intake opening is basically right under the seat and relatively exposed where it can stuck in water. I've been caught in one heavy burst without issue but planning a trip and might have to endure extended rain.
  15. Githianki

Githianki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I felt it was like a high revving big-block engine. Coming off a V7iii it wasn't as drastic of a revelation. But the suspension was that much better.
    Kevm and Iron Cross Junction like this.
  16. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:

Simple answer, no.
  17. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:

@Githianki brings up a good point. Have you ridden a V7III?!? (or while we're at it the previous generation V9?)

I definitely can tell a difference in the push between my MKI V7 (Stone) motor and our V7III (Carbon D) motor.

I haven't ridden the 850 yet and am looking forward to eventually, but I wonder if the difference seems less from a III.

I really REALLY liked the previous V9 motor, so I'm curious if the 850 duplicates that. I described that the same way you did, it felt like a big block comparatively.
    Githianki likes this.
  18. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I helped Jim and crew uncrate those demo bikes and rode that 100th V7 from mile zero. It's really good.
    mazeppa, Kevm and Githianki like this.
  19. Tripledij

Tripledij Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2018 V7 III Milano Sargent seat foam upgrade....update.... from post# 17930

So yesterday I finally got a decent ride in, 500 miles and 11 hours with a couple a fuel and pop stops.

TLDR version - stock seat was a 4 out of 10, modded seat is a 7 or 8... for me money well spent

I didn't need to stand while riding until after 8 hours, with the stock foam I only could make it about 2 hours.

Now that I know that a ride longer than 500 miles isn't going to kill my keister, I can plan a longer one day ride like 600 - 650 miles.

It cost me $265 plus shipping, and was totally worth it. My trips last year would have been much more enjoyable with this seat.

Pic from ride, Omak lake Washington in the background.

upload_2021-6-21_11-3-37.png
  20. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you change the cover too, or just the foam? Is it harder or softer foam? Did you change all of the foam or just a layer (how thick)? What is Sargent's name for the foam.
    Thanks,
    Dan