Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorCade, Oct 20, 2012.

1. bdcfe

bdcfe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Versahaul hitch carrier and mounted their external lights, but any trailer lights would work. My setup blocks the taillights so the external lights seemed necessary, especially at night. I have several thousand miles hauling with mine and no issues yet, save for the obscured plate when crossing the Canadian border.

I don't love the hitch carrier- the bike bounces around alarmingly on rough roads and all that weight hanging off the rear really affects handling, even on my truck where it's well under max tongue load. I have never had an issue though. I also use about 8 high quality ratchet straps and check them every couple of hours.
  2. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OMG! (the rest of the comment is censored).
    The only wires you should have connected to the battery are 1) OEM power and ground, 2) a pigtail for charging the battery, and 3) leads to a Fuzeblock, https://www.fuzeblocks.com/, or other power distribution device. The Fuzeblock allows you to organize connections and have switched (ignition on) connections (so you don't drain your battery if you leave your heated grips or driving lights turned on, or always powered connections.. The Fuzeblock uses fuses, so you can get rid of those inline fuses.
    And that wad of wire - if it is not functional cut it to fit.

Dan
  3. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Bulldog9: One other (likely useless :lol3) point of information is when I had the Dart screen and just side bags, I got the same isolating weave at high speeds 70+ you describe. I found shifting my weight forward and back made a difference, but the real change was the addition of the larger screen and topcase.

That's interesting. I have a Dart Marlin on the V7II and an MRA screen on the V9, repurposed from the Ducati Scrambler days. It would put you in the mind of a slightly wider and shorter Marlin. Doug's after me to try the big MG touring screen on the V9, yuck. I really dislike riding behind a large screen. I'm a bit frustrated in general. I never experienced any such handling issues on the Scrambler or the MT07 using the same sidecases, windscreen set-ups and under the same riding conditions. Difference being the mono-shock frame design I suppose, so apples to oranges I guess.

Sarah
  4. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    CONGRATULATIONS!

You, Sir Redhawk, have just won an all-expenses-paid -- less, of course, travel, per diem, lodging, and incidentals :augie-- to the top of Virginia, where eager Guzzisti await to observe your practicum on motomotive electrical systems, using Bill Hagan's battlefleet of Guzzis! :clap

Actually, I understand all of that ...

... in theory. :fpalm

It'll be winter -- year yet TBD -- before I can get to that. The "wad" started because I was unsure if I needed to rerun it and did want not cut it short. Then, my primary character traits of indolence, lethargy, and sloth took over and it's just stayed. I may go wild and crazy soon and chop it back. "May" is the operative word, especially now that I know it offends the electrically educated. :D

And, by way of extenuation and mitigation not defense, the clutter actually looked better before I was pulling on it to check hidden fuses in there. Heck, I thought my use of cable ties deserved kudos. :-)

Seriously, I appreciate your comments and will look into the whole Fuzeblock approach. Getting over the hurtful tone of your intro will, however, take me a few days. :rofl

Bill
  5. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    I bought the cheap chinese one. Everything that bolted on was welded up solid and I took the DR to Maggie Valley for a few days of riding a couple of weeks ago. 362 miles each way. The bike does bounce around a bit even with the clamp between the carrier and hitch. 4 made in the USA straps are used lol. Canoe straps were used to hold each wheel to the ramp. Added a board on the rear, so the bike supports itself prior to getting the ratchet straps on. Easy load and unload by yourself. I used el'cheapo magnetic brake lights not seen in these pics. Some wheels on the ramp side make it easy to drag around. Last, turnbuckes installed from the ramp to foot peg on the way down, but didn't use them on the way back. I don't think they are needed.

za.JPG
  6. mazeppa

mazeppa y = x/0 Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks, this reinforces contentment with my mkIII, although the mkIV is improved and moving forward.

I was curious if the mkIV extra 100cc of power could be felt by the seat of the pants over the mkIII.

The only problems I have with the mkIV are; the aesthetics with the bend in the exhaust system, and to get a tachometer you have to get wire wheels.
  7. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong you CAN feel it and it's great, but I just (very subjective) don't think it's as much of a difference as I expected purely from the numbers.
  8. greer

Oddometer:
    Isn't a tach incorporated in the single gauge on the other models?

Sarah
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  9. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Yup.

The display is a lot like that on our Monster. It's fully LCD/digital with an analog LCD tach across the top and a numeric speedometer display just below that.

The lower portion of the screen has a variable display with the same data as the V7III and V9 models (avg/instant mph, mpg, tripmeters, odo, ambient temperature etc.)
  10. greer

Oddometer:
    Good, thanks.

Sarah
  11. Rocket_Pilot

Rocket_Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great attitude. Gratitude and contentment with what you have is the way to be. If you can afford to do the things you want to do, I say don't work.

My intent wasn't to belittle anyone by saying, "why can't you do it, I did". Too much of that going on on the internet. I'm certainly guilty of being mechanically challenged more often than not. I just wanted to share a possible way to solve the issue. I think I generally stay quiet on forums (and avoid social media) because too many people want to argue. Or misconstrue intent. Life is too short for that. I get enough of that in real life!
  12. Rocket_Pilot

Rocket_Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries. Just trying to help.
    Kevm and mazeppa like this.
  13. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    As for #1, just sent "declination with thanks." Nothing wrong with pursuing happiness until the end, but I sometimes think I have already caught it. :clap

As for #2, doubt anyone read yours as belittling. Enviously, perhaps, as most here are, I think, impressed by the moto-skills that you and others -- and not I :fpalm -- have. As you say, "life is too short for that."

Back now to planning the "Mutton Run" in late September. Getting hungry thinking about it. :D

Bill
    Bob Wegman likes this.
  14. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not exactly V7 content but will be soon with our 2020 V7's headed to Europe as soon as it opens for us. In the meantime we took a quick flight to Alaska for a few days of riding. In 1979, my now wife rode all the lower 48 states, 7 Canadian Provinces, and Newfoundland solo, no cell phone at that time either. Over the years she picked up Hawaii, we rode in Mexico several times, (one was a trip from hell, ever seen snow in Mexico, we have haven't we Redhawk) and we have ridden in Spain. Last week she finally got her 50th state 42 years later. Here she is smiling from our last day of riding. On to Europe soon with the V7's.
    DSCF2446.jpg
    jon_l, Joe?, Allucaneat and 8 others like this.
  15. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    I am voting yours as the best post in this thread so far. :-)

Looking very much forward to your trip reports, and also some details about logistics of all sorts, e.g,, shipping costs, etc.

Congrats on all of this … including your bride. :clap

Bill
    Bob Wegman, Chethro and Lash like this.
  16. Lash

Lash Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember that picture! Please decline the lucrative employment opportunity. For all our sake!
  17. Snicmanor

Snicmanor n00b

Oddometer:

Let me know if you make it to Portugal. I’m 30 minutes south of Lisbon, can show you some great roads.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  18. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    So, Dan, I need to renew my Guzzista credentials for cheapness, so asking now if the link you gave as an option -- https://www.fuzeblocks.com/ -- is worth its 4x the cost of, e.g., these: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=fuzeblock&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Seriously, I have no doubt that it is, but they all seem to be of the "parts is parts" sort to my innocent and ignorant eyes. :fpalm

Don't need a treatise, but would appreciate your confirmation or the like as to the Fuzeblock over the generics.

I did go down and snip all the cable ties around my wiring spaghetti today. Then decided I'd just wait for help. I have an Guzzista EE staying with us next week, so I am thinking about "charging" him for his stay at our "B&B" by having him install whatever is needed on the III.

[And, yes, he has more than an EE degree :augie, and is savvy around automotive wiring. Heck, he keeps his Cal II along with vintage Saabs, Jags, and two Lotuses all running, so he must be pretty good. :D]

Grazie,

Bill
    Bob Wegman and Chethro like this.
  19. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill,
    The Fuzeblock is well worth the money. It has a built in relay making it very easy to wire. I almost went the cheaper route and decided the fuzeblock is actually a bargain when you consider the installation time and not having to wire in another relay.
  20. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 21 year old Centeck fuse block-been on 5 bikes-and still going strong. What more can one say?