Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorCade, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Thanks!

Do I need one of the "Optional Wiring Harness" offered?

https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblock-Wiring-Harness-5ft-length_p_2.html

Bill
  2. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Stone has an LED tach. It sweeps across the top of the display.
  3. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    I sent the following around a few days ago as an email to some “usual suspects."

Decided to post it as a thread on some Guzzi websites in case I missed someone. These “Mutton Runs” are always a highlight of my motorcycling year, and I think that anyone who has to been to one agrees.

[And, it is particularly apt here, as I plan to ride there on my Stornello -- my other Guzzis have BTDT. And Inmate "Lash" -- who has a Norge and new V85 Travel at his home in Florida -- is flying here and will ride my III on this romp to Kentucky! :clap]

Let me know if interested, though there is no effort to make it a group ride … well, except possibly on Sunday morning to the picnic itself. I might need to alert the parish lest they think Hollister 1947 has morphed into Whitesville 2021! :augie

Three Guzzisti have already indicated a desire to leave from here, another will meet us along the way, and several others have said they will meet us in Owensboro.

[​IMG]

=======

Craving Mutton in September 2021?

Well, there are several ways to sate your mutton urge, e.g., have some delivered to your door; see https://www.moonlite.com. We’ve done that ourselves. Mmmmmutton. :clap

But, a more fun way is to ride your motorcycle to Daviess County, Kentucky, and smack your lips at the biennial picnic at St. Mary of the Woods in Whitesville on Sunday, 26 September 2021.

This will be a return to the great picnics of old after three Covid-cancelled or modified “drive-thru” events.

Several getting this have been on previous “mutton runs” over the years. Those lucky folks know what it’s all about.

If, OTOH, you have no clue about this and want to know more — and, heck, if you are still reading this, you must care at some level however small :joker: — take a look at one or more of these slideshows.

May 2016 -https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Men-Motorcycles-Mutton/n-GRNH7j/

May 2018 -https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Mutton-Running-May-2018/n-dHftGV/

Sep 2018 -https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Muttoning-Sept-2018/n-7HZKSL/

May 2019 - https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Mutton-Run-2019-/n-9V3j52

I plan to leave home on Thursday, 23 September, RON somewhere — Maysville, if doable — then RON at the Holiday Inn Riverfront in Owensboro, “in 24, out 27 September (Monday);" https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/owensboro/owbdt/hoteldetail

Owensboro has lots of other lodging available. See, e.g.,https://tinyurl.com/Yellow-Banks-Lodging

The plan is to take (something like!) this route (from here, anyway), tho this may be of the “Bridge Too Far” sort of plan:

https://tinyurl.com/Cross-Junction-to-Mutton-Land

The route includes a cameo on the second day at the Kentucky Guzzi rally near Frankfort.

We usually stop only for fueling (the Guzzis and a quick snack), hydration, bladder maintenance, and occasional overlooks, compelling photo opps, and some historical markers (my personal flaw!). In other words, no leisurely Italian lunches followed by Riposo!

We travel almost exclusively on tertiary back roads, and only hit major roads or the slab if WAY behind or to avoid trafficky city centers, tho places like Lees Lick and the like have little traffic unless the daily freight rolls through!

Return routing TBD.

Questions? Ask.

Let me know if you are interested in joining me on all, part, or meeting me along the way of this motorcycle curve-carving, culinary, and corn-sipping* trek.

Bill
    404.EIGHTZEROEIGHT.8486
    wrhagan-AT-earthlink-DOT-net

* Yes, it is possible that some a-maizing liquid will be tested, tasted, & toasted! :D
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not responded directly, but am quite interested.
  5. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill, the Fuzeblock has a relay built in so you can wire devices to be powered only when the ignition is turned on. Example: if your heated grip are wired directly to the battery, and you forget to turn them off -- dead battery. The examples you posted do not have this feature. You will need to find a switch power wire to tap into for the relay.
    One issue with the V7's is finding a place to put the Fuzeblock. It is about 38mm thick with the mounting plate. On my V7II I put mine under the left side cover and screwed it directly to the airbox, without the mounting plate.
    If you have some wiring and connectors you do not need that wiring kit. I prefer Posi-tap and Posi-lok connectors https://www.posi-products.com/.

Dan

PS: photos when done!
  6. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    RE Fuzeblocks, I have installed the FZ-1 on each of my last dozen or so bikes. The design allows lots of flexibility....switched or unswitched..pick the amp fuze that makes sense. The built in relay saves space. It is super easy to add a circuit and when you are done everything is protected from the weather. The Blue Sea stuff is great for marine applications where you have lots of room, things are generally out of the weather, and the vibration is less severe. That's what I used when I built my tugboat. One challenge on the V7 is finding space for any electrical junction. I hid mine behind the left side cover. You really do not need their wiring kit.[​IMG]
  7. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'not a fan of group rides myself but this one is pretty interesting, $2,500 for 5 nights with a supplied bike and a $2,500 credit should you buy one down the line:

https://www.motoguzzi.com/us_EN/experience-new/

Interesting routes too for the most part.
  8. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BAHahahaha You should see the others.:hide :jack:jack:photog
  9. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Havent looked at e-mail in a while, but depending on new work schedule I would like to make it.
  10. RedHawk47

Oddometer:
    I did the Moto Guzzi Experience trip in Tunisia in Nov 2019. The "meet" video in the above link is of that trip. Had a wonderful time. However, didn't get the $2500 credit.

Dan
  11. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
    Is that because they didn't offer it then or they renigged on the deal?
  12. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill,
    Any of the NY boys gonna ride down and eat dead sheep?
  13. RedHawk47

Oddometer:
    The credit was not offered. However, the cost of the trip was about half of what a typical commercial trip costs.
  14. Bob Wegman

Bob Wegman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning on attending and will only eat the sheep if they are dead.
  15. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll go if schedule frees up
  16. vagrant1947

Oddometer:
    Is a slight quiver OK?
  17. Bob Wegman

Bob Wegman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think not. I have never eaten it but would lean toward medium well done. I guess.:1drink
    Another thought and V7 content is that, this ride could be a good opportunity for sheep skin seat covers, for those that find the stock seat unacceptable. There must be a few hides in the scrap pile with all that mutton.:-)
    Iron Cross Junction and rixcafe like this.
  18. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I want a long trip on the Mello Yello Stornello, I'm out if they do it Iraqi Style.....
    100_0129.JPG

"Hey Mista...you like?" point point..... We said "Yes" in a split second, not knowing we had bought a the thing, their father whipped out a knife and field dressed it in 3 minutes...... Not having anything to cook it with they also for a nominal fee provided wood, a grate and salt... They kept the pelt. Fun times....
  19. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    I am in Erie ... on the Griso.

Haven't decided on which of the moto-harem -- keeping the SWA motif you started just above :D -- will get the nod for the mutton run.

Bob says he'll take his III; Larry, flying in from Florida, will ride my III.

If you do get to make that and take the Stornello, I'll likely pair it, tho my luggage needs on the road are not as demanding as are those of my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess :raabia, I may need more than the tankbag and one Orbit, good for carrying my AMEX card and little else. :augie

The St. Mary's mutton is very "done." I tend to like my beef in the state of "a good vet can bring it back," but senior-citizen sheep, not.

OBTW, no pix as graphic as yours, but I've had goat quite a few times. "Back in the day," in Kentucky. I still remember the slaughter. The most recent, tho hardly yesterday, was in a Bedouin tent in KSA. The women and kids sat outside until "we" were done. :clap

Ordered a Fuzebox for III. Waiting for return (and EE visitor :fpalm) to install.

Bill
    Bob Wegman likes this.
  20. vagrant1947

Oddometer:
    Now that's real fast food!