Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorCade, Oct 20, 2012.

1. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Just signed up for the Ozarks ride, first experience with a Guzzi other than a 10 minute test ride on an already sold used Grisco last week. Been intrigued for years with the brand but lack of dealers in my NC region makes me nervous. V7 with the 850 engine might be too good to pass up. Looks like all the provided bikes are the v85TT model.
  2. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    maybe not fast enough!
  3. mr jazzbo

mr jazzbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Operating temp: I changed my oil today than went for a nice 100 mile lunch ride. Put in Motul Synthetic 10w60. The ambient temp when I got home was 80 degrees with 50% humidity. I checked the engine temperature at the oil pan which was approx. 244 degrees and at the left cylinder head 250 degrees.

Does anyone know if this is normal temperature?

Thanks for looking,
    Jim
  4. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    You're well under the temp at 250 to be concerned about oil temp.
  5. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wobble and Weave

Just a few days ago there was a fellow on the FB MG Owners Group that reported handlebar weave riding his V9 Bobber at much above 70 mph, made worse if he happened to be in the vicinity of semis and such. Jay weighs 150 lbs. I commented that I have the same issue on my V7 II and asked if any other lighter weight riders experienced the same. I got all sorts of the usual suggestions along with a link to an old video, run it on up to the 4 minute mark:

That nailed it, I believe.

Sarah
    KingOfFleece and Speedtrap like this.
  6. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Like I said, have a sammich, maybe some pasta!

So what are you actually going to try next?

Have you considered flatter or lower bars to get your weight a little more forward?

Rearsets?
    More preload or longer shock at rear?
    Raise forks more in trees?
    Different tire profiles (taller at rear, shorter at front)?
    Sammich?
  7. greer

Oddometer:
    Studying. Per Cadre the small blocks have been prone to this problem, and the refinements in the V7 850 steering head addressed it. I don't know. I worry that the twin shock frame design in general lends itself to this kind of trouble. I wore myself out on the California trip messing with the forks and steering head bearings on the V7 II and the only thing that made much difference was taking the sidecases off the racks and moving them forward. I think the next thing I'll try is a duffle on the seat.

Sarah
  8. vagrant1947

vagrant1947 He is free who lives as he chooses!

Oddometer:
  9. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim, on air-cooled motors 185-200 is optimal for oil temps, 225 is about as hot as you want, though full synthetic can take 225 before breaking down.

300 is fine for the CYL head temps, at least on my air cooled P car. Assume it is the same on the Guzzi head. 350 is max.

How are you measuring?

I have a dipstick thermometer on my Stornello, and have never gone over 220f. No idea on the CYL head temp.
  10. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry brother but this is a huge generalization with little connection to data.

Though I don't pretend to have average Guzzi smallblock sump or cylinder head temps I think your points are horribly wrong for average synthetic oil operating temperatures.

Conventional oils can take regular exposure to higher temperatures than you list and synthetics MUCH higher.

And let's remember that head temperatures may be one data point but that doesn't necessarily tell us what the oil temperature is in that head, especially when say oil passages direct some towards the exhaust valve or piston squirters direct spray to the underside of the piston.

So temperature data without more qualifiers can be very misleading.
    pyoungbl and KingOfFleece like this.
  11. greer

Oddometer:
    There's a plan! You're on to something though, stash our beefed up tool kit in one side and our compressor/tire repair kit in the other.

Sarah
  12. moparnut

moparnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that video a couple of years ago, I had forgotten all about it. I once rode a friend's CBX, it would start to weave just short of an indicated 100 mph. Speedometers were wildly optimistic in those days, especially those from Japan so it is hard to say what the actual speed was. It wasn't scary like a speed wobble but unnerving.
    kk
  13. mr jazzbo

mr jazzbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  14. motoretro

motoretro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In regards to the wobble, I believe it was Honda that put a weight at the front of the 1982 GoldWing base model, sans fairing, bags, etc. It basically compensated for the missing faring. I purchase a new basic G/W in 1983 as a left over and it never exhibited any strange things at speed. Without all the stuff most put on a GoldWing, it was a flying refrigerator:wings.
  15. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blaa Blaa Blaa....:rofl This is all related to my air cooled Porsche experience. Make what you want out of it. 225 is too hot for most oil in air cooled motors. Sustained 350+ head temps (measured with sparkplug thermo coupler for CHT) is about as hot as you want unless you want to start dropping valve seats. Short spikes and peaks to 375-400 can happen, but a big concern with air/oil cooled motors is heat soak when the motor gets overheated and can't shed heat. This is more common for oil especially when there is no cooler like on a small block. Perhaps Guzzi motors can manage the heat better, but if I ran my oil up to 240+ regularly, I'd Change the oil as insurance. There's a reason why the dipstick thermometer from mg cycle for our Moto Guzzi's shows 120c as in the red.

Good quality synthetic can take higher temps, but I wouldn't push it.

Of course the oil flowing around the exhaust valves and other areas of the heads will be hotter, most oil temps are measured in the sump. 240+ in the sump is much higher in the motor.

On my 912 Porsche, I measure CHT (cylinder head temp), oil temp in the sump, as well as before and after the oil cooler. I have an external cooler with thermo fan that comes on to keep the oil cooled. I measure 200 in the sump 250 before, and 180 out of the cooler.

I'd love to know what the temps are in a small block at various points. All I have is the dipstick thermometer that runs 90-110c (200-230f). One time in stop and go traffic a couple summers ago I hit 130+ Celsius (260+F). The motor pinged like crazy and smelled as though it was overheated. I changed the oil.

Bottom line is 180 to 225 F is ideal for oil temp and 300 to 350 F is ideal for a cylinder head temp. But go ahead get out your slide rule Kev :-) love you man!
    mazeppa and Yashko51 like this.
  16. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Ok now you're giving a little more data to answer the question, and you may not be FAR off, but I still don't think the level of certainty is as warranted as you assert.

Here's some info on conventional and synthetic oils, temperatures, and breakdown:

https://www.waynesgarage.com/tips/more-tip/synthetic-oils

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/thermal-breakdown.htm

Here's an interesting discussion on Bob's The Bob's the Oil Guy:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/temperature-of-oil-breakdown.8822/

I guess it's all moot if we run a decent synthetic oil as the peak temps it can withstand are much higher and even the sump temps leave room by your stated standards.

Still I would want a little more data before giving limits.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  17. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    THX for the links. That's consistent with what I learned a while ago from some oil guys. The takeaway was "you'll be fine with syn oil until well over 300 for short amounts of time or exposure".
    Kevm likes this.
  18. Yashko51

Yashko51 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A small story....
    I was looking at this bike about a month ago but then another one of my bucket list bikes (2014 Honda CB1100) popped up.
    So I bought the Honda and unfortunately did not have enough funds in the slush account to pick up the Guzzi. I guess four in the garage is enough for now.
    But I told my brother about the Guzzi and he was so enamored with it that he wired me the funds and I went and purchased it.
    2018 Carbon Shine with 386 miles on it. Purchase price of $5,250 made it too good of a deal to pass on.
    So the bike is sitting in my garage and instead of me throwing money at it, my brother is.
    And like a drunken sailor, he is buying all the cool stuff he and I discuss and agree on. I say that because he likes the way my bikes look like after I set them up ( hell, he has my 2019 BMW R NineT in the garage to prove it! ).

To date I have installed:
    OE engine guards
    Fork boots
    Sato right side helmet lock
    Rizoma bar end mirrors (love that blue glass)
    Pyramid fender extender
    Dart Marlin screen (I was wowed by the quality and fit of this particular model).

Still waiting on these parts to arrive:
    Ikon shocks
    Tail tidy with smaller LED tail light (better proportions)

I will finish up the break-in and change all the fluids including the brake fluid (over three years old).
    I also removed the front turn signal spacers to tuck them in closer to the headlamp.
    And when al the work is done on his Guzzi, we will set up a shipping date to get it up to Wisconsin.

072821 Engine guard 1.jpg 072821 Engine guard 2.jpg
    jon_l, RC., Chethro and 9 others like this.
  19. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty!
  20. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that Sir, is a nicely set up bike. How is he liking the Marlin? My air cooled Bonnie had a similar sized shield and I was always amazed by just how much air that kept off you at speed.