Anybody recognize this place, it's unique.

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by acupuncture4u, Jun 8, 2004.

1. acupuncture4u

acupuncture4u Freedom by knobbies

Oddometer:
    It's on the loneliest highway in the USA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahh, the Shoe Tree. Never been there but have read about it. Were those taken recently? Last pic I saw it didn't have near that many shoes.
    I hear there is a bra tree also, :thumb
  3. acupuncture4u

Oddometer:
    was taken end of April 04.
  4. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Das a lotta chus mang :bandito
  5. ARRRGGGHHNUT

ARRRGGGHHNUT ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer:
    I think it is somewhere on 395 north of reno, a little north of 70
  6. elliotta

elliotta Elliott

Oddometer:
    Nevada US 50 about halfway between county road 361 and 722, closer to 722 actually. North side. About 20 or so miles to the East of Sand Mountain.

:uhhuh
  7. acupuncture4u

Oddometer:
    We have a winner!!! Does anybody know how this got started or history behind?
  8. DRGNHTR

DRGNHTR Dragonhunter

Oddometer:
  9. elliotta

elliotta Elliott

Oddometer:
    That particular shoe tree has (or had) a rustic plaque on it that led me to believe it started as someones art project. See attached photo.
    It is dated 1994. From there It looks like it's been added too. The clump over the parking lot looks much thicker than it did last July.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. SKWERL

SKWERL Squirrelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the really curious who haven't seen it, it is at N39 17.656' W117 59.198'. As others have mentioned, it's on Hwy 50 not too far from Nev 361. For a nice detour I highly recommend taking Nev 722 as an alternative route to Austin. Paved, but a change of pace from Hwy 50 for a few miles.

A year or two ago a friend and I saw that a hunter had tossed a pair of deer "shoes" (legs) up into the tree as well. It is definitely a strange spot!

There used to be a smaller shoe tree north of Reno on US 395. Haven't ridden through there in a couple of years though.

bryan
  12. elliotta

elliotta Elliott

Oddometer:
    For a nice detour I highly recommend taking Nev 722 as an alternative route to Austin.

I second that! Took 722 last summer on the way back from Top o' the Rockies. Basically just as wide as 50 but less traffic and a nice wind through a canyon at the west end. :thumb

While we're at it headed East, check out the Printing Museum in Eureka. It's on the south side of 50, a half a block up a little incline, up behind the gas station. It's free to see. Basically the office and print shop of the old town newspaper, walls plastered with old posters back to the 1880's (I think), presses all set, stuff pinned up almost as the publisher left it when he died. Also some local mining history and a few decorated rooms, some good photos and a little history book store. Great little desert town with at least 2 good hotels.
  13. DRGNHTR

DRGNHTR Dragonhunter

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm coming out of lurk mode. There was an excellent place for dinner in Eureka that had an outside porch for eating and a well stocked bar. I was told by a friend that it shut down last fall. Anyone know for sure?
  14. elliotta

elliotta Elliott

Oddometer:
    I was told by a friend that it shut down last fall

If that's the old red and white trimmed hotel across from the Opera House, it looked closed up last July. It was open in June 2002 when I went through then.

Attached is a pic. Jackson Hotel was the name but the sign was gone in July.

Attached Files:

15. wesfnw

wesfnw portland,or

Oddometer:
    ]It's on the loneliest highway in the USA.

The official "shoe tree" of Oregon is on Hwy 26, between Mitchell & John Day!
    Full of cowboy boots, hiking boots & birkensocks!
    The plaque says
    "No apples
    No peaches
    Just a few good pairs!"

A good photo op if attending the rally in John Day.
    wes
  16. dhaynes

dhaynes Alpha geek

Oddometer:
    ...but pretty cool also.

This is from a little hot springs resort in the town of Arshon. You just hop on the interstate going east (mind you don't get your feet wet in the Atlantic Puddle) and when you get to Moscow, keep going east. About 3,000 miles past Moscow, hang a left at Irkutsk. Ride through a couple hundred miles of birch forest and turn right to Arshon. Stop for some smoked omul on the way around Lake Baikal, it's fantastic.

Attached Files:

17. Ride Far

Ride Far Been here awhile

Oddometer: