Anybody ride an XR650L?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by el mirón, Mar 16, 2005.

1. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    An old thread comes back to life... That has been my exprience too. I was out riding the DR recently and was getting all kinds of waves from all bikes, HD's too. I wave all bikes, regardless of their or my brand. One interesting experience, I passed a new F650 on my DR glanced and glanced over to wave, it was totally ignored! I would have expected that from a HD rider, not another D/S rider! go figure...
  2. goblin

goblin pig rider

Oddometer:
    some times I get tired of waving and just want to concintrate on rideing
  3. ace

ace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like something similiar I heard once refferring to guns..."Beware the man who owns ONE gun and shoots it."
    Sage advice in a rich country where we are often heard to ask "should I trade this in while it still has some value??or ride it into the ground.( if it still has value why would you need to replace it.? :D
  4. compman21234

compman21234 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been guilty of searching for "the perfect bike" for many years, and still haven't found it -- there always seems to be something that makes me think "if only this bike (fill in blank)" -- I sure wish I could be content with just one (or two) bikes -- would save a ton of money for sure.
    *sigh* -- I suffer from Multiple Bike Disorder, like many others on these forums do too.
  5. 4wheelsbad

4wheelsbad n00b for life

Oddometer:
    That's so cool that Mr. Wizard is your dad!!! And I have the same kind of motorcycle as Mr. Wizard:clap!!!
  6. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :D I really like my xr650l, works good for me.
  7. Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have three of these things. One stock, one built, and one I'm turning into the ultimate XRL.
  8. Timpechoes

Timpechoes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have a ball on mine:D
  9. ShooterDave

ShooterDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i also enjoy mine. i have 2. it is all ive ever riden and i learned on it too. 1 im taking on a 25,000 ish mile trip in march hopefully. btw i need a better seat. anyone now which is the best?
  10. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    This one of course

[​IMG]

Walter
  11. RiDR

RiDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :huh Where to?
  12. ShooterDave

ShooterDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Walter, where did u get that? i am taking the xr650l to all 48 lower states and parts of canada. but i need a good seat. hopefully most of it will be offroad.
  13. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Russel click on the picture.

Walter
  14. ShooterDave

ShooterDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks. pretty pricey though. o well, how does it work, feel, ride? how well does it work off road? and stuff.
  15. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cost was around $450 with leather insert, and rain cover, In early 2006.

When traveling I average about 400 miles a day. i have done over 600 more than once. My longest day on it has been 810 miles, in around 15 to 16 hours.

Gravel and maybe a few dirt roads, are about as far off road as I get. I don't see any reason that it would be a problem off road. The wings are behind my legs and don't interfere with me standing on the pegs. These seat are custom made. Exactly where the wings end up will depend on ones size, and how you mark the seat before you send it in for building.

What it won't do is make an XRL feel like a Gold Wing. An XRL is still a thumper, and there is a certain amount of vibration that come with that. This seat isn't going to make that vibration go away. I doubt any seat will.

Walter
  16. ShooterDave

ShooterDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    true true, but it is aleast somewhat comfortable i would assume. although i dont think ill spend that kinda money on a seat. ill probably just shave it down and add some sheepskin. thanks though.
  17. YIMMY

YIMMY Wild Man

Oddometer:
    Richmond, VA, 2 hrs from the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Hey guy's. Let's be real. If I was 21 and had unlimited cashflow I would own a KTM or other high zoot scoot and I could probably ride it well. But being 21 and full of hormones means I need to race everywhere and prove I'm a big man with good taste.:rofl
    The truth is, there is nothing but compromise when it comes to real dualsport riding. There are so many variables to persoanal needs.
    For me the XR 650l is perfect. It does need some upgrades for the expert rider but they are all do it yourself mods. I don't out-ride the Baja winning handling capabilities of the modified XR. Reality dictates that we, who live in suburbia, have to ride on pavement more than we like. Hell, if I had a state of the art steed it would go to waste under my fat aging ass. As far as the survival / reliability thing goes, it has about 50 less parts than a liqid cooled bike and short of a massive solar magnetic blast I should never run out of, or leak, any cooling media! :wink:
    The XR is like an old airhead BMW - it will take you anywhere and it can be repaired easily. Don't forget that you can get parts easier and in more places than any other brand.
    Bottom line, don't feel bad about owning the XR. You are right, we don't need to justify it, it justifies it's own existence!
    As far as Cuzin Stovey in Idaho goes, Nice new KTM man! It suits your personal needs. :clap Yimmy
  18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    .... I've actually had face-time with the last two posters on this thread!

How was that Shuttle launch, ShooterDave? What a trip you are on man.... Rally on my friend. (It's finally thinking about warming up a little here in the Tetons. You probably wouldn't get snowed in here again for another two months or so.... Shoot a line if you happen to be drifting back this way on your way home to OC.)

Yimmy - right ON! Glad you finally got wired up with another scoot. Swinerider mentioned you picked up an air-cooler - sweet. Damn near no excuse now to get back out and start riding again in earnest. Hopefully we will hook up too, I've been dreaming of the day. I hope I will be able to keep up - after all, you are the mentor, and the person who got me into this mess somewhere around four decades ago, give or take. Congrats on the new ride!

Stovey
  19. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    XRL's are fine machines!....comfy too(IMO)!!!.
  20. bluechip68

bluechip68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Freaking great bike. I took one to Copper Canyon Mexico 2 years ago and beat the living dog crap out of this bike. Laid it over in a river, crashed it into the side of a mountain and basically rode it about 8-10 hours a day on some extreme terrain. Never had a SINGLE issue with it (other than some scratches and broken mirrors). This thing is absolutely bulletproof in my opinion.