Anybody riding the Mammoth, CA area

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by cbig, Aug 29, 2005.

1. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    dis weekend?
    Any must see or must do?

thanks,

CB
  2. twowheels

twowheels Leaving Children behind

Oddometer:
    Don't miss a chance to go see the white mountain area, south of Mammoth! Turn east at Lone Pine (or is that Big Pine, hell I don't know). Cool place and some dirtbiking adventure-riding to be done.
  3. KTOOMER

KTOOMER ad-vent-ure man

Oddometer:
    there in 2 weeks with a small grroup with you want to join us
  4. creator8

creator8 Team Hollywood

Oddometer:
    i'm up here right now. posted in the regional forum the same question. going back on friday night saturday morning.

email me at [email protected] if you're around right now.
  5. cbig

Oddometer:
    up there wed/ thurs morning latest...
  6. FasstCole

FasstCole Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. sashapave

sashapave riders on the strom

Oddometer:
    There's so many great trails out there. One of my favorites starts just to the right of the entrance to Devil's Postpile. Hang a tight right just before the gate and you'll see a trail which heads along the ridge. It's only about 3 miles long, but man it's beautiful.

Be prepared for random thunder showers.

-sasha
  8. cbig

Oddometer:
    it was called?

Very beautiful scenery tho - and only saw 2 950's - north bound on Saturday. I discovered a bunch of trails I hadn't seen on the East side - take the 120 around on the way to Benton.. I may need to explore that a bit more!

Awesome scenery all way around. Interestingly, I met a guy at the "village" - parked his BMW 1200 GS next to mine. He stated he has a 950 as well, but he keeps the GS in Mammoth - he much preferred the 950 for almost every use..
  9. creator8

creator8 Team Hollywood

Oddometer:
    Did a morning ride Saturday on my 525 w/ my buddy (also on a 520). Rode up a bunch of jeep trails paralelling east of 395 to June Lake junction. Gassed and coffeed up there then ran up to Mono Lake craters and stayed sout of 120 to Mono Mills then ran down to the Mammoth Scenic Loop and cut home. About 100 miles of solid off road from about 9am to 1pm. An awesome morning ride. Can't beat the terrain up there. All of what we did would have been doable on the 950s but definitely more fun on the 525.

Going back up for our annual long weekend ride the end of the month.
  10. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like this advice is too late...but here's a thread by a Bishop local Stonewall about "Open Gate Day" at the White Mountain Research Station yesterday:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94113

He's also organizing a halloween weekend ride in the same area.

Hope you guys had a fun time!
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the loops out of Mammoth and other loops on:

SneakersMC.com
  12. Bicycle Phil

Bicycle Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a Inyo Forest map first off.

From Bishop go north on 6 and try Silver Canyon, then down Wyman Creek to 168. If its hot out...on the way back to 395 via 168 take a dip in the Owens River, theres a rope swing over the river, look for it on the right as you cross the Owens River.

From just south of Lee Vining head east on 120, turn south at Mono Mills down 1S07. As you head S/SE on this choice dirt road/track you will encounter numerous dirt options and will probably get lost for at least a bit.
    Head towards Indiana Summit RNA and try to hit 1S11-1S04-1S17-1S90-1S16-1S01 heading east back to 120. These roads were sandy/pumicy, curved and winded through the trees, wrapped around a few craters, and finished with some tree-less ridge and hilltop cruisin.
    Choice stuff! Some of the roads were littered with smallish black obsidian rocks, it looked cool.
    If you get through this and find yourself heading south on 120, go south on 2S84 for 6-7 mi then hit a great, but quick 3S01 west back over to Benton Crossing Road. I rode all this stuff 2 wknds ago and it was a blast.

June Lake loop is a dont miss paved scenic mind-blower.