Anybody used these LED lights on the bike?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Happy Snapper, Sep 21, 2012.

1. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave, what model No is your light bar, I will be checking Ausbaxter,s setup this weekend on his KLR, this might be what I am after.
    Cheers
  2. Uncle_Dave

Uncle_Dave Outback Traveller

Oddometer:
    Hi mate, this is what I have. 6 inch SR series SR06DW 3060 lumens Driving Pattern.

http://www.snakeracing.com.au/sr-series-LED-lights.html

[​IMG]
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    That's a pisser Unc Dave.
  4. Hammer70

Hammer70 MyHypocrisyGoesOnlySoFar

Oddometer:
  5. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    Oh OK, me too then...........

[​IMG]

I was sceptical too, but yep, they are excellent. The best thing I've noticed though isn't the 100m bright zone, it's when you tip the bike into a bend on the highway they actually light up the inside of the bend, which spotties don't do. :clap

You won't regret the price.
  6. Macca2801

Macca2801 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Aurora lighbars are fantastic light for small size and very cost effective.

This is the Tenere on high beam....[​IMG]

This is the same but now with Lightbar....

[​IMG]

Fitted to the bike....

[​IMG]

Closeup....

[​IMG]

This is a combo beam and gives additional distance and spread but you can specify, spread, spot or combo.

Matt.
  7. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    How is the rigid lightbar during the day on road? Do you run a filter? Turn it off? I want something reasonable during the day on low beam, and surface of the sun at night on high
  8. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    I have a Aurora 6 inch lighbar like you Macca but was a little disappointed with the penetration.
    They are however a fair bit cheeper !
    Macca2801 likes this.
  9. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any pickies as I would like to do the same for my 2003 640Adv as the oem lights are somewhat wanting.
  10. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
  11. Macca2801

Macca2801 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which 6" did you get Ross...is it a spot, spread or combo? I have the combo and the penetration is way more than I can ride to so more than happy with that. Also love how broad the light is up close to the bike which was a total dead zone for about 20-30m before fitting the lightbar.
    Matt.
  12. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
  13. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    I think I got the combo. Being it is on a 990 , and speeds are often 2 hunge plus......no ok just kidding.
    It's ok, but am thinking of getting the Britannia Composite Voodoo for it. Better penetration from what I've herd and better screen.
    Macca2801 likes this.
  14. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Among the lighter of units available.
    Im considering a short light bar at the moment to fit some braketry I made a few years ago for light cannons on the ST13

Some one will be along to say these are illegal or going to give your unborne an extra head but really its about you seeing more at night.....just get smarter with its use and learn to dip earlier and adapt to the black hole or set up compromises to end the flashes from oncoming.
    Their mounting brackets are finished well too.
  15. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Or choose a light that can accommodate a dimmer- and run them on all the time. Seems a smart choice to me. Why not put something on there you can use all the time, not just during the day or on high beam only?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  16. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    To dim a forward facing led low enough that it doesn't glare oncoming drivers makes them almost useless.
    It does work with ones aimed low and outwards.

Obviously if your not worried about glaring oncoming drivers you can dim them less and get more use from the led.

There are decent fog light LEDs that keep the beam patern low and wide, these are good for supplementing low beam but still illegal.
  17. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Rigid now has a DOT legal fog- but their stuff is not dimmable.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  18. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jabba, DOT means nothing in Australia if inspectors want to get picky. ADR or ECE regs plus state laws on their use.

Hella 50mm low beam modules make a good fog replacement that are less likely to get people into trouble or at least give them something to wriggle out with. It is better IMO than blinding every poor schmuck on the road with unshielded fogs or LEDs - dimmer or not. A basic mounting bracket is something someone like Joe could quickly knock up if you could get him interested. :D

I'm hard to impress, but Baja Design's LEDs get a nod for being near the top of the heap. The Onx is 8" instead of 6" though.
  19. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadly this all comes down to the number of forward facing lights ( excluding directional indicators)

Day time or night, on or off or dipped or filtered or pointing out in the scub. The limiting factor is Four forward facing white lights.
    Many of use run under the radar with 4 or 6 or more auxiliary lights mounted. These days a light bar across the roof doesn't even raise an eyebrow when once it would see a vehicle off the road with a yellow sticker.

In the end of the day it is a free for all. Think smart and work in pairs is my rule. My ST has two low beams that are 90"s so extra day time lights is sort of amaybe maybe not thing. Those units hit Hig beams at 120's so a flash at oncoming traffic in the day works well for me on this bike...but that's not for all cases and I see the arguments for getting maximum effect for your light purchase ALL the time too.

Oh and the edit.
    Clearwater Erica and Krista rule the LDR community. Two of each and alls well in the world. That's six forward facing light's just there so your stuffed but hell get stuffed and enjoy the moment. Lights at night are the one best est thing you can have followed by a great riding experience under the stars.
  20. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's interesting. As I read it ADR 13/00 allows up to 4 driving lights (6.1.6) with no limits on output (edit: aggregate for all running lights is to be kept under 430,000cd) in addition to a maximum of 4 headlights (2 low beam), plus up to 2 each of DRLs and fog lights, but you're quite probably right regarding the maximum number being 6.

This shouldn't be an issue because there are few bike charging systems that will handle eight or more high power lights.

The part that matters is not dazzling other road users. The hazard and risk is both ways and getting cleaned up because my lights caused difficulties for an oncoming driver would not be particularly smart. Unfortunately there are a lot of idiots on the road who are unable to grasp that concept.

I've also ridden with a FLIR system. Good lights plus FLIR equals WOW!
    Although there is no depth perception it enables vision past the glare of oncoming lights and they illuminate all except very well concealed wildlife threats. I think cost is still preventing it from becoming more common.

Getting off a way: A useful modification is to wire the horn to light up high beam and any auxiliary lamps that are active. Past studies (that I wish I could cite) have suggested that lights make it much easier to identify the source of the horn and this has been my experience.
    hoorang and DRjoe like this.