Anybody used these LED lights on the bike?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Happy Snapper, Sep 21, 2012.

1. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So a 6 inch bar with 6 LEDs (larger reflectors) is better than a 6 inch bar with 9 LEDs(smaller reflectors)?
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  2. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Do you want distance (spot) or spread (wide)?
    9 led's with 3 spots and 6 wides could well be better than 6 wides or 9 spots (or vice-versa). It comes down to what you are trying to achieve

My own ute has a 40" double-row LED bar with a combo of wides and spots, and I've never had such good skippy-spotting lights, the distance is good for night and the spread is excellent for skippy-spotting.
    Too big for a bike at 40", but just an illustration that combo lights can deliver good results too.
    Seeing a bright cone of light directly in front of you just makes it harder to detect that skippy who decides to start running 20 metres in front of you in the darkness to the side. That's where the wide spread LED's come into their own, you can see the roadside quite broadly and clearly even up close. I find that more useful than penetration, I'm not doing 160kph so I don't need to see 900 metres.
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  4. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    originally light bars only had low output LED’s so theyd use a heap of them in to small reflectors. You can now get high output LED’s up to 30w so you dont need as many and can fit some decent reflectors. Richo’s lightbar runs 10w LED’s with a larger reflectorin a single row. Lightbars used to run 3w LED’s. Have a look at the round lamps Hoots posted. Have a look at the distance those cheapies i modded with 30w LED’s. Heat sink is the biggest issue with the higher wattage LED’s. I have an Aurora 6” here but im running different lamps. Those AliExpress lamps with the XHP70.2 LEDs are the ticket. Another thing is some of the lightbars are ridiculously priced with LEDs being so cheap.
    BoomerE30 and Hoots like this.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The design of the new Stedi Super Drive is interesting: "The unconventional use of 12 x 15W rearward facing high powered LEDs allows us to achieve new levels of beam intensity & control that simply isn’t possible with traditional reflector designs"

[​IMG]

UltraVision are also using unconventional designs in their reflectors: "Featuring the Widr® optic for width and a Contrl® optic for distance, the Nitro Light Bar takes performance to another level - Widr® Optic – This unique reflector delivers increased light output, achieving huge distance with excellent spread"

[​IMG]
    BoomerE30 and AUSSIEADV like this.
  6. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    once again with so many LEDs its pointless having wide lenses for the LEDs. Just have some LEDs pointing out a little. If they are going to run a spread, it should be an oval shaped reflector, 30 deg vertically, 70 deg horizontally. Pointless wasting light lighting up the possums. If a couple of the units i modded showing the distance above, run a couple 5w/10w lamps out to the side or spread the spots a little. I need more distance than the likes of these bars can provide.
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  7. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    interesting
    BoomerE30 likes this.
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're right about the importance of the reflector

I looked hard at the light bars - didn't want some sort of metre-wide monstrosity - nor the chunky multi-row units - they're definitely getting better / smarter, but not there yet IMO

If you can take a deep breath re' price tag, this little spottie from Light Force beats the light bars hands down - 1 lux out at 850m - only 150mm wide and 60mm depth - and just 1.2kg

I do a lot of driving through western NSW - need a long distance beam - these will be good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Looking at that photo it illustrates the thing I wrote about in my last post.

While the road is well lit up in a small bright circle, the verges are pretty much dark, and that's where the skippies come from.
    Focussing on the bright cone of light means your eyes aren't adapted to the dark verges, a recipe for collecting a skippy.
    bigborett likes this.
  10. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming that's $160 USD not Aussie dollars??
  11. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget that pic is just the driving light - ie not including the vehicle headlights, which pad out the sides

Some vehicle headlights are ok - if not, can either replace with LEDs (or replace the whole headlight unit) or replace the little foglights / running lights with something like the UltraVision smart light (below)

[​IMG]
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  12. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    yep youre right. Ive had mine for a couple of years now.

i just read a thread on bad dealings with ADVMonster so may pay to steer clear. I dint have probs with them but plenty look to have done.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919077724.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.11.157b333eHZ5uRw

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_55

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_55

Some good little lamps for side filling.

Redback likes this.
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Tom, you are right, but having played around with some lamps and LED’s, personally i need both distance and some side fill. You do need some Skip light which can be achieved with a couple of tiny 10w lamps. @Camel 640 runs a couple with his Bajadesigns cluster. I find you can achieve required light fill without so much wasted scattered light from so called spread LEDs by using spots strategically placed. Have a look at the output of the Aurora above and you can see so much wasted light. A bit more effort into the reflectors would have produced a much better light pattern. Another silly thing is the lens on some of these clusters ie Bajadesigns having a wave pattern on two of the four LEDs to create a spread when the spread should have been achieved by reflector shape.
    GodSilla likes this.
  14. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Great output for a lightbar!
  15. Redback

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking I might have a crack at this, so, which one do I pick, 10w or 15w spottie and which colour range for the emitter/drivers do I pick??
  16. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Are you going to change the LEDs or run as is? If as is get the higher wattage. Get the 6000k and get the brackets.
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  18. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  19. Redback

Oddometer:
    So this is the one.

1PCSX CREE XHP70 .2 6V LED Emitter with 20MM PCB+1PCS XHP70.2 LED Driver and I've picked cool white, it gives me 3 choices, so which one 16/20/26mm.

Sorry if I seem a bit dim, electrics are not my thing, clearly.
  20. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    3 choices ;

LED colour: Cool white -best efficiency

Wattage: ??? 20 or 16 mm .. I would assume this is the outside diameter of the board .. and it should match the housing. So .. depends on the housing you get. Looks like the housing od is 47 mm .. but you need the inside diameter where the board sits...

Driver: 1 mode - so 26mm - you don't want to be arssed with 5 modes .. well I don't.
    Redback likes this.