Anybody used these LED lights on the bike?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Happy Snapper, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:

Yeah the cool white I got, must of only thought it and didn't write that in there:fpalm

Yeah no 5 modes for me either just want spotties.
  2. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    just get the cheapest lamps as you are going to mod them. They bullshit about the chips in them. You can get any size you want because inside the lamp is flat. The reflector and paste holds it in place. Depending on the lamp you get you may have to file the reflector a bit to fit over the 7mm LED. Make sure you use all the white paste in there on the back of your chip. It transfers the heat.
    Redback likes this.
  3. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:

OK. Then 'we' have to assume that a 20 mm diameter one will fit in there. The 20 mm one will have better heat transfer compared to the 16 mm one. If 'we' are not certain then the 16 mm one will probably fit as it is the smallest one avalible.

Easiest thing to do - buy the lamps first. Take one apart when it arrives (check it works first - if not money back) and measure things so you can get the best fitting things. Then order the guts to suit.

Paste. Unless they have been particularly miserly with it there should be enough to use with the new LED ... just wipe it off the original LED and transfer it to the new one. Keep dirt away from it - you don't want the dirt spacing the LED away from the heat sink, only nice clean paste in there to fill in any small gaps.
    Redback likes this.
  4. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Does this meet your approval?

Redback, the black box houses the drivers.

A5C82566-9E81-41F8-9BD8-95A838A52C38.jpeg C4F5CEDD-0731-40D1-8324-59055433EFBD.jpeg
    Suncoaster and Redback like this.
  5. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    That is very good. Thanks.
  6. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's what I did and it's pretty easy. BLF Q8 torch:

BLF_Q8.jpg

https://www.amazon.com.au/Powerful-Flashlight-Searchlight-Configurable-Professional/dp/B0773Q46D3

They say it's up to 5000l but a guy in the site that designed it tested it @ 6000l depending on the battery. It's 2" diameter and about 6" long with the battery housing and has 4 x CREE XPL V6-3D LED's that run from 1 to 4 x 18650 batteries, usually. It's programmable (using the on/off switch) for a variety of things incl an SOS signal and infinitely variable from zero watts all the way up to maximum, which means you can move it from bike to bike and run it at what the bike's electrical system can handle.

I unscrewed the battery housing (smaller diameter part in pic - you won't be needing it) and soldered a couple of wires of a 12-4.2V converter to the +ve and -ve terminals in the main housing:

Regulator.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC12V-24V-36V-to-Step-down-4-2V-10A-30A-Waterproof-Power-Voltage-Converter/142116187326?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I got the 126W one because the light uses around 100W at maximum output. I then connected the other two wires of the converter to the battery. I didn't bother fitting a remote switch because I have the light mounted on the handlebars anyway but no doubt you can do it.

I also replaced the lens glass with some polycarbonate, in case of stones, etc, and sealed up the back with a cap and silicon. So now it measures 2" diameter and just under 3" long, not including the V converter (~ 2" x 2" x 1"), which you can mount anywhere on the bike that gets some breeze. Note that the torch is pre-programmed to power down a bit if running for an extended time on maximum, but you can override that permanently via programming, particularly if you're not stationary for long, but if you are you can just push the on/off button to adjust.

So you can work out the cost from the two links and it's pretty cheap for a quality product. I also have another two of the torches and use them as torches :p so obviously I have a high opinion of them.

PS. The unit, incl switch, is waterproof.
    GodSilla and AUSSIEADV like this.
  7. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    The driver in the Q8 is direct drive to the leds on high. 100 watts would be more than ample and you would want to be moving to keep the torch cool at this current.
    With the torch running standard Samsung 30Q batteries you get voltage drop as the batteries deplete so you wont have as much of an issue with the torch over heating.

The single mode driver linked above from Aliexpress is more a torch driver. Not sure it will survive at the higher voltages with there associated voltage spikes on bikes. If it did I'd heat sink it.
    Better of with a driver more suited for automotive use.
    Suncoaster and flinders_72 like this.
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    DARK-SIDE likes this.
  9. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Great job Flinders.
    flinders_72 likes this.