Anybody Want To Do The Trans-american Trail This Summer?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Paramedicrogers, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Paramedicrogers

Paramedicrogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I are gonna hit the trans-american trail this summer around August. We were thinking of doing the Colorado to Oregon section. We only have about two and a half weeks to do as much of the trail as we can. Is this possible? And does anyone want to go with us?
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We picked up the TAT just north of Cortez and took a lot of it to Oregon last Sept. Unfortunately due to a number of problems we skipped a lot of the actual TAT and rode parallel better dirt roads and a little pavement. We made it out (dirt roads) and back (via paved roads) to central New Mexico in 15 days riding an average of 8 hours a day every day. We did actually skip the TAT stop in Denio Nv and went straight from Battle Mountain NV to Lakeview Or in one day - with 100 miles of pavement at the end. We have also done the eastern half backwards from the western Oklahoma border to Jellico. The western TAT is much more difficult and it was hard to stay on the TAT route and get to the next town at a comfortable hour. (We stayed in motels as opposed to camping.)
  3. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    i plan on doing Tennessee and mississippi at the minimum this year...
  4. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mind riding from Colorado to Oregon or Moab to Oregon. I have about 2 weeks of vacation to work with. Questions I would ask would be:

What are you riding for bikes
    What is your riding experience
    What time of day do you get up
    How many miles a day are you willing to do
    Ride in the rain?
    Etc etc.

camping or hotels?
  5. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    -We are riding a KTM 450EXC and KLR650
    -Combined 30 years riding experience
    -We plan on riding from 7a to 7p, if possible
    -Riding in the rain is not an issue
    -We are both 30 yrs old
    -Flexible with lodging, depends on the day

Where are you located?
  6. davidm

davidm davidm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep me up-dated. I would like to go. I would be coming from Las Vegas.
    I ride a 2008 KTM 530. My e-mail is davidm@wi.rr.com.
    david
  7. Easy Money

Easy Money n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys! My name's Easy Money. Riding Colorado to Organ on the TAT sounds great! August is a good month. I'm on a '09 KLR. The KLR and I, Feb. 1st, are headed to Central America. We'll be back the 2nd week of March. That should give me plenty of time to get the bike ready to go.
    You can contact me at
    juquackers@sbcglobal.net
  8. Seth S

Oddometer:
    I am 32 and rode from Tennessee to Moab on my 950 back in 2005. Now I have a 690E and have been considering riding a few weeks again this summer....though next year...If I am still employed at my current location...I will have 3 weeks of vacation. I am located in Vermont.
  9. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    I ordered a 09 red KLR it should be in around February. I can't wait to go on the trip its killing me!!! I bet it will be the longest winter ever!! If anybody has suggestions on dates let me know. I don't know if it will be better to go later in August or July. We are planning on driving to where ever we start at and ride from there. Is anybody else planning on doing this? We are going to have to find a place to park. We will also need ideas on where to start on the TAT. My email is medicrogers@yahoo.com. Feel free to contact me about planning this trip, We have never been on the trail at all so any advice is great. We are Paramedics so we have alot of vacation time, and we are ready whenever you guys are this summer!!
  10. katoomryder

katoomryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to keep track of this thread. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go yet but I would love to do the western section. I'm riding a KTM 450 EXC. it's not set up yet as an adventure bike but I plan on having bags and other gear by then. I'm in upstate NY, about an hour N of Albany
  11. Seth S

Oddometer:

Wow I didn't think people actually ordered KLR's I thought they sort of just showed up...kind of like a cancerous growth :lol3
  12. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

A medic on a KLR. Well, he can fix you when you eff up, and you know that his bike is going to make it. I'd say he's in for any trip as long as he steals a med kit from the fire station.:thumb
  13. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    I dont know much about KLRs, I have been reading and looking at them for about 6 months. I know they are heavy, but other then that it seems like a good bike. It got great reviews on everything I've read.
  14. Seth S

Oddometer:
    All kidding aside it is a reliable basic bike. They are a bit top heavy and they don't have race tuned suspension....but its a good basic bike for $6000. As long as you don't go crazy modifying it to be what its not then you should be fine.
  15. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    ok.. good, I figured you was giving me a hard time... Thats ok... I will be riding it back and fourth to work, so I don't want a dirt bike only. you know save gas when it gets back up to 4 dollars a gallon. You guys need to let me know what mods to make and what not. I know I need to make a place to hook a chain so I can pull your guys down the highway..:rofl ..
  16. olegmc66

olegmc66 old chevy

Oddometer:
    I rode a KLR from TN to Nevada on the trail last april-may.
    I had to go around alot of Colorado because of the snow.
    If you need a bike to ride to work the KLR will be a good choice.
    It is too heavy for some of the sand and mud on the TAT tho.
    But it is a good compromise between the two.
    Good that you are going with someone because it is so top heavy
    that it is all you can do to get it upright when you drop it (and drop it you will).

Good luck
    Bill
  17. gasgasman

gasgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i would plan on getting heavier sus. springs f&r
    full knobbie tires last year a group member had 606 dunlops with excellent wear and traction.
    pack really lite the bikes already heavy!
    conisder gearing it down for out west colorado west. will bring up ease of riding and the fun factor way up.
    have fun.
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the TAT in two phases (East in 07 and West in 08) from New Mexico on a 07 KLR with minimal problems (one flat tire due to tube failing and a few lose bolts). I think it is a good choice for this kind of trip. In both cases we rode back home on pavement as part of the trip. I highly recommend the Dunlop 606 tire. I got more than 4000 miles on mine which was enough for a full trip without a tire change. Put good tubes in them though.
  19. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    What is the advantage of heavier suspension? The salesman where I bought the bike suggested I have it lowered. Is that a good idea. I'm a tall guy I can reach the ground fine, but I could see it being a problem on the trail maybe with uneven terrain. Is lowering it gonna affect the suspension?
  20. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Yup. Dont do it.