Anybody Want To Do The Trans-american Trail This Summer?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Paramedicrogers, Jan 5, 2009.

1. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't lowwer it and i'm a short guy!
    Ground clearence!!!

I'd get a good skid plate,and do the doohickey[first thing!!!!!],alittle stiffer springs would help,just for the simple fact that if your a good size guy and your packed for trip it'll be soft with the stock set up.You can adjust the rear,so i would change the front springs and go alittle heavyer on the fork oil[better damp'n].Put together a good tool kit!!!!!Look into a briter lite[it gets dark in the middle of nowhere]and maybe a set of knobbies[606's].Wire it for your 12v toys[gps,cell phone,mp3,etc]this place should have what you need, www.tpimotorcycleparts.com .
    The KLR is a great bike!!!!:clap It doesn't need much,its the little things that count!:D
    Good protection[skid plate]
    Good tires[Dunlop 606]
    Tool kit[its a personal thing]
    And before you do anything,have the doohickey done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. gasgasman

gasgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Would'nt Lower It. You Will Be Scraping The Bottom Of The Frame As Is Now.
    Do The Stiffer Springs Or Add Air Fittings To The Fork So You Can Add Psi. As Needed On The Trail As Cond. Come Up.
    And Yes A Good Skid Plate Should Also Go On The Bike.
    Grip Heaters Are Also A Nice Comfort Add On.
  3. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too am thinking of doing the Western TAT this summer. I'm in the Texas Panhandle and was thinking of picking up the TAT due north of me in OK or in NM. I have over 10 years off road trail experience. I would be on an '04 KLR650 for the trip. I'm a Firefighter, so I usually have lots of time off too.

Camping is fine with me. I'll keep an eye on this thread too.
  4. Paramedicrogers

Paramedicrogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What the heck is the doohickey??
  5. juniorsktm

juniorsktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Paradoc,

you say that you have pretty flexible time off. Well, I do as well and I am not sure you ran across some of my responses to the TAT threads, but I plan on riding the whole trail leaving in July. Hopefully the first of July.

You see, I have been a big supporter of the Aflac Childrens Cancer center in Atlanta for over 9 years now. My wife is going on 4 years of being a Cancer survivor as well. I tell you this to tell you I have planning this trip for some time now and in the last few months I have been approached to film some of it and send pictures back for the children undergoing treatments. Sort of a motivational message thingy. They have commited to building a site to give ride reports and respond to some of the children.
    ANyhow, this has begun to take on a life of it's own just in the last few weeks and now I believe there will be a fund raising effort back here in Georgia for the Center. ****PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM FUNDING THIS TRIP ON MY OWN AND IN NO WAY TAKING A DIME FROM THE FUND RAISER, I AM ACTUALLY IN MANAGEMENT WITH THE AFLAC FIELD FORCE**** So, I hope you understand my motivation. The fund raising will be locally and centered more around the Center than the ride. We do these things as an excuse to play golf, run, swim, etc. all the time.

Back to the origional thread idea. The TAT. My wife has been begging me to go with others for the sake of safety. I have many years of racing and bikes under my belt and I will be fine, but she would be more comfortable. I am going anyway.

I think it would be great if you and your buddies wanted to hook up and travel with me or visaversa. I plan on soaking up every mile and the people in between. Truly embrace the spirit of Adventure. I will be camping alot and chilling in motels as well. I am going to travel on my 950 Adventure as it is now. I am considering my thumper, but it wont be any fun in the east. Too small, I think.

As for your 650, no lowering. Get agood skidplate, and no hard bags! This is based on the advise I have recieved here recently.

Lexington, Ky Huh? I have family there........pm me sometime if you too would like to discuss the prospects of a "long ride":1drink

Peace,
    Frank
  6. juniorsktm

Oddometer:

The "doohickey" is located above the Thingamabob........
  7. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    What is the best riding jacket and Pants for tat this summer??
  8. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to the KLR sites in Thumpers and you will find all you need on doohicing. Don't lower the bike.

As for riding pants and jacket, there are many in all price ranges, get something that is WELL vented. I feel rain gear over is better. Rather than gear with liners. You can put on or take off as needed, and faster, easier.

Oregon and high Colorado are probably only areas where rain/cold could be a factor. (Unless your unlucky).

Take as little gear as possible. Along the TAT there will be places to get anything you find you need that you don't have.

Enjoy your trip, take lots of pictures, write a good Report for the rest of us when you are done.
  9. aaronjarvis

aaronjarvis XR Rider

Oddometer:
    I'll be moving to Colorado in July. Colorado Springs area. Thats when I was preparing for a 2010-2011 TAT ride. Hopefully the entire route. In the meantime, Im nterested in doing parts at a time. I might tag along for a day ot two, if thats cool. Let me know. Find me on facebook. Im in a couple of Dual sport groups there. I have a few friends that are interested in meeting up also. heres my email aaronjarvis1971@yahoo.com. Or on Facebook.com
  10. aaronjarvis

aaronjarvis XR Rider

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot Im on a 08 XR650L. I have 3 friends that are planning the trip with me, & a few people I know overseas that might transport their bikes to the USA for it. We want 4 to 5 bikes. Thats a good safe number.
  11. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Balancer adjuster!!!!!

The stock one is weak and very prone to breakige.The replacement kit is $39.99 and is a KLR must do.If yours go it will fuck shit up!!!!!!:huh

Goto www.tpimotorcycleparts.com they will have everything you need for anything on a KLR.There are other places,and maybe even cheaper,but i always found what i needed in stock and have had good luck order'n from them.
    They even have the bigger 250w stater for the new KLRs,which when i owned one was hard to find,and WHEN your in the motor to fix the balancer adjuster you might as well change the stater.That way you can run anything electric you want,and not worry about over load'n the bike.
    Just a thought.
    If you surf the web site you will get alot of good ideas about what farkels you want to do before your big trip.Good luck!
    AWM
  12. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    Thanks AWM your very helpful.. One more question in my quest to find out what the heck a doohickey is I ran acrossed a thread that said the 08 and 09 KLR does not need a doohickey upgrade, is that true? And can the local Kawasaki dealer fix it for me? And on the website what is the doohickey under? Sorry but I have one more question. I thought the new KLR had a bigger alternator on it so you can run whatever you wanted...I'm so confused
  13. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Yes i have read the new Kawi[08-09] need the doohickey.The way i understand it is that Kawi didn't change the Balancer for the new model,and they do offer a kit for the new model..That being said i might be wrong,the ones i have owned were the old model KLR.If i were you i would do the research.:D
    The new model does have a bigger stater then the old model,but it might not big as big as the aftermarket ones offered.I figured i personal would make the upgrade[if needed for your set up]while you had the bike apart.
    On the TPI web page,under the KLR section,look under,New Just in for the 08-09 doohickey.
    As far as the dealer doing the doo,only they can answer that.Its not a hard fix and theres alot of how too's on the web,i'd hate to see you spend an 1hr or 2 in labor for a $39 part.Besides it'd be a good chance to start figure'n out how to work on your bike,if you plan on take'n big off road trips its a must[in my opinon]to know your ride,alot of times there'll be no help in the middle of the woods,and if there is it might not be the kind of help you would want.:D
    By no means am i an expert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can only give you the advise i try to live by myself.Logistics are half the fun of plan'n a trip.But the more you know the better off you will be.
    You've chose a great bike with big follow'n[for a good reason]and theres an ass load of info and parts to do what you need and make the bike what you want.But only you will know what you need and want it to be and do,and in my opinon the more you ride it the more you will know what that is.
    Don't be affaird to ask me any question,if i can be a help i will,i love to hear myself type.:lol3
    This web site is one of the most important tools in my ride'n arsenal,it has pulled my ass out of the fire many times,and really helped me plan some great bike trips.
    I hope you will find the same true for you!:clap
  14. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    Thanks again AWM!!! You're a lifesaver!! This website is great I've learned so much.. But your right, I will know so much more once I get on the bike. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so as soon as the bike comes in! I will be on the road... And I can't wait. This website helps when ots snowing and 18 degrees outside:tb and all you can think about is riding a new bike.

Thanks again
  15. juniorsktm

Oddometer:

What!? Snowing and 18 in Lexington? Man, that stinks:cry

Hey, Look left<.......it's my "Travis Pastrana" 199th post.........whatever
  16. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    Hey Juniorsktm are you gonna ride the tn to co section by yourself? And when will you get to Colorado? We are stilling trying to get dates together. If you wanna go, do you think you could be to the Colorado section by the first of August. How is that date for everyone else, just let me know.
  17. juniorsktm

Oddometer:
    I could move my date a little......I want to leave in July, so I would be there way before ya'll do. We should talk it out soon and see what wecan work out. I will PM you my number.

American Idol is on and I HAVE to watch with my wife, she called me up from the shop to "spend time" with her. I can't bitch, she doesn't care about me being gone this summer for 5-6 weeks riding around the country:clap

LAter,
    Frank
  18. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh the things we will endure for a bike trip. :lol3

Kenny
  19. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    Is it July yet!!:puke1 I'm so sick of the cold!!
  20. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    You think KY is cold,try NY!!!:vardy