Anybody Want To Do The Trans-american Trail This Summer?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Paramedicrogers, Jan 5, 2009.

1. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to Sam's maps it is 2410 miles from Trinidad to Port Orford. He has it set up for 13 days. The days range from 125 to 253 miles. Don't assume the a short mileage day is a short time day. Some sections are rough riding and your speed will be slow. Plan on a full day for each section. This gives you time to sight see, take breaks, backtrack, stop for gas and lunch and do on the trail repair. Take a GPS but use Sam's roll charts and maps. You will find them very accurate until Oregon. They will keep you on the TAT more often than your GPS route. To use them correctly you will need a resettable odometer like the Vector with rally mode option.
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
  3. Machtig

Machtig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frank,

I am doing the entire TAT this summer, and would love to ride with you. I'll do it alone if necessary, but I'd rather ride with someone just for safety's sake. I live in Virginia Beach and intend to start litterally on the beach, then take the most scenic route possible to the start in Jellico. Anytime in July or August should work for me. PM me if interested and I'll send you my contact info. I'll be riding an '08 Yamaha WR250R set up for adventure riding.

Brian
  4. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    I'm on a KTM 625 SXC and I rode the TAT last summer to within in sight of the OK border (White Rock Mt.). At least I plan to ride from somewhere in Ark. on to the junction of the CDT. I'll leave late Richmond VA, June very early July while the trees and flowers are still nice and it's not too damn hot. I am torn between going all the way out on the TAT or spending the balance July wandering north on the CDT, Alpine Loop, Gunnison area, riding on up to the Glacier and maybe some Idaho as well. Mostly camping too. Company would be nice some on the way out but I'm not sure I want to do the TAT TN/MS sections again. Ark. was fun, I'd think about it again.
  5. jetdoctor

jetdoctor Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    I am just checking in.
    I have been getting things going for the TAT this summer. Probably the biggest thing has been posterior comfort, so I am in line to get Renazco to mod my seat. The other comfort item I have been considering is a steering damper. With all of the sand and rocks in the west they help out a lot. I already have Racetech Gold Valves for the suspension--they will go in when I have the bike apart.

My DRZ 400 has low miles, but will still need to be disassembled, lubed etc. to prep it for the ride. To keep the electrical gremlins away I will be adding some anti chafing material to the wiring. Suzuki is not very good about protecting the wiring on their bikes. The other thing I am considering is a kick start kit. A dead battery would be bad at the bottom of a wash somewhere........

I have been planning on riding the TAT for a couple of years and have ridden in a lot of the country that the TAT crosses both on and off road. Hopefully, I can avoid the sweltering heat crossing Utah and Nevada by riding in early Sept. Every time I have crossed the Great Basin in Aug it has been 100+ degrees.

My plan is to ride according to the conditions. I will stop at night when the time is right. I may camp, or stay in a motel depending on how the day goes and what other things may factor in. If it is a good day, I hate to stop at 3PM just because I am at a town. I have had some great camps out on the trail. I usually ride along at a good pace steadily covering miles. Like they say, go fast in the fast places and slow in the slow places. In any case, I have done a lot of dualsporting and have it down pretty well.

I have my vacation approved for 06/01/09 to 06/10/09; 08/06/09 to 08/14/09; and 08/30/09 to 09/19/09. I can probably get 9 days off in May and July too. That should be plenty of time to do the ride with some travel time added in when I leave my bike and fly home. This ride takes a lot of time, which limits who can ride it. My riding buddies have a hard time leaving their families and businesses for more than a week.

I am interested to see what other rider's plans are. I can certainly take care of myself, but it would be great to have an experienced rider or two along.

Cheers,
    Doug
  6. Paramedicrogers

Paramedicrogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok guys I have a start date we will start the TAT in Trinidad Co on 10 of August.. We have a group of 4 going. We welcome any other riders..
  7. rockdog200

rockdog200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be doing the Tennessee section this summer, the trail runs about 4 miles from my house so i got 1 good nights sleep on the trail.
  8. maxinquaye9

maxinquaye9 Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm taking some HiberNol right now so I set my alarm for Aug 9th...
    :snore
  9. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockdog,

What are the dates you are planning to ride the Tennessee section?
  10. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    Ok Its been a long two weeks, an ice storm, no eletricity for 8 days. Paying money to stay at a hotel, thats 2 mile from my house so I can have eletricity. BUT the strom is gone my eletric is back on and my new KLR came in..

[​IMG]
    I put in my living room so I can stare at it for hours after the long wait!!

[​IMG]

I rode it home and it was 38 degrees.. It rides great!! I can't wait to get it out on a warm day!!

[​IMG]

It now has 10.5 miles! After an ice storm, cold temps, and a long wait for a new bike!! It has been a good day!!:clap
  11. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    I know a man that can remove that for you cheep.:D
  12. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have time off from Aug.27 to Sept. 17th. 22 days should be enough time to get to the coast and back to Texas. I plan on picking up the trial in Boise OK. If it's 13 days from Trinidad to the coast, I should be good. Haven't hooked up with anyone yet that can do the same time period.
  13. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    That sounds good Trailryder. We welcome any one how wants to come along. Shoot me an email and I will give you more details about what we got so far.
  14. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    Is an R1200GSA too much bike for this trip?
  15. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    I have never been on the TAT yet. But from what I have read, I think it will make it harder in some spots but you could always bypass the harder sections. But I'm the new guy. I hopefully someone who knows will answer you. Brad help this guy out.
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:

It can be done if you have a lot of experience riding it offroad but it will be a handful in many places. I wouldn't recommend it.
  17. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    Actually I really want to do the CDT. I've been training for a couple years on my CRF, but my GSA is new and I have not had any chance to take it off road. Since I am a tad short I do expect it to be somewhat of a challenge, but not impossible s long as I don't attempt any serious rock climbing or vertical hills (which I can do on the CRF).
  18. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    None of the pictures I seen looked too tough, and your right, I can always go around. All part of the Adventure - RIGHT!
  19. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    I think you could do it.:evil Just skip the hard parts.
  20. Paramedicrogers

Oddometer:
    Have you seen long way around? They go around the world on a 1200gs