Anybody want to ride the TAT next summer?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CaliKarl, Aug 23, 2011.

1. CaliKarl

CaliKarl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it's early, but I'd like to be prepared. Surely some of you want to give it a try. I'm sort of a 'novice', but not entirely. Over 20,000 miles of riding, a lot on sand, dirt and gravel. Not a lot of 'technical' riding thus far, but working on it. Think about it. I'd love to get a few ADV riders together for this. None of my friends would touch this thing, let alone ride outside of town.

About me: 28 years of age as of this Thursday, ride a F800GS, want to camp mostly, with a motel once or twice a week, and easy to get along with.
  2. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Which month of the summer? Would you ride with guys 2.5 times your age? Going all the way or half?:clap
  3. CaliKarl

Oddometer:
    Sure, why not. Going all the way starting in Tennessee. Perhaps June?
  4. Timber2wolf

Timber2wolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the average time to complete the TAT?
  5. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    All depends.....

Class A dirt rider: 3-4 weeks; full bore.... even less.

Class C-D dirt rider: smellin' flowers; taking photos, etc......6+ weeks.
  6. Zachsv

Zachsv SVhaver

Oddometer:
    Another NC guy...definitely looking to do this next year late summer. 28 here as well and I've got no problem riding with old farts who wanna smell the roses along the away haha

I'll hopefully be picking up a DRZ400 later this winter when they get a bit cheaper to start prepping for the trip.

Same as you though...mostly camping if possible.
  7. CaliKarl

Oddometer:
    Let's do it!
  8. Artlocks

Artlocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another old fart (53 but mind is 16 and body is 70) is interested. Actually I am doing a section of it starting sept 3rd. I may have plenty of time on my hands next summer since my company's being bought out. I will keep an eye on this.
  9. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:

Left Myrtle Beach on 27 July did a new dirt route to Jellico and ended at Port Orford on 18 Aug--took 5 days off to "do stuff" enroute so I did coast to coast solo in about 18 days. The TAT portion would be 30 July if I remember correctly to 18 Aug less 4 days or about two weeks. Total trip was over 6000 miles.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710618&page=7
  10. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    I am wanting to do it starting around Aug 1. Roughly speaking.

I may do the TWVT and just keep going once I get to Jellico. My plan is to go TN to OR in 4-5 weeks. Not much of a daisy sniffer, but I'm not exactly fast either, lol.

36, will be 37 next year. Bike is already built for it. All I gotta do is get on it and go.

Hit me up.

Steve
  11. Zachsv

Zachsv SVhaver

Oddometer:
    My main purpose for wanting to do this is almost entirely for photography. Worked for a couple newspapers for about 4, worked in a lab for 11 yrs, but now I've been stuck in a cubical for 4 yrs and I never get to shoot anymore. When I finally got to California (Johnson Valley) and parts of AZ this past Feb, my damn cameras didn't work. I don't know how or why, but 1 got fried and all the batteries are fried :-/ Was forced to shoot with a pos dirty entry level DSLR. Would have preferred my film gear with scans the trash that camera was putting out.

I'll have the entire top bag devoted to camera gear lol.

I'm definitely game for this trip.
  12. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Being in Kinston you should certainly have some sand experience. You're not too awfully far from my WRR (think Triad, lol).

Let's all stay in touch. Anyone up for a Facebook group? Ah hell I'll make one right now. PM me if you want to be in it. Er, maybe this will work? I think you still have to request membership though. https://www.facebook.com/groups/162997890446555/#!/groups/162997890446555/
  13. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    hmm, ok, then fuck it. I'll take it down in a few days. I tried.
  14. CaliKarl

Oddometer:
    \

I'm in.
  15. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Guys, please go ahead and try to subscribe to the Facebook page, not sure if that works, if not, go ahead and PM me.
  16. aceflyer32

aceflyer32 Snoopy

Oddometer:
    I rode the Tennesse section two years ago with a friend and had a really good time. I have been wanting to do a section of the T.A.T. every year until I eventually ride the whole thing. Problem is, I always seem to be waiting on someone else to go along on these rides, and they always seem to flake out on me. I'm done with that, and am looking for others who love the riding as much as I do, and are ready to go!
    I already have the Mississippi and Arkansas charts from Sam, as well as the Mississippi Hill Country charts. If timing allows, and you fellows don't mind, I'd like to join up for at least some of the ride. I'd love to do the whole route, but as a single dad, I have limited time and finances available.
    About me, I'm 44 and a "take it all in" kind of rider who likes to snap a few pics along the way. I ride a '91 DR350 set up nicely for adventure riding that has never let me down. I haven't done any camping on my bike yet, but have the gear and plan to test my bike camping now that the weather is cooler so that I can "perfect" my routine.
  17. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    CaliKarl, got you in, that was easy.

Guys, go ahead and subscribe to the FB site. This thread will be lost in a month's time and we'll be trying to find riding companions all over again.
  18. Zachsv

Zachsv SVhaver

Oddometer:
    lmfao sorry i've been drinking my face off over in Emerald Isle (beach) since Thursday with 0 computers around. Yeah I despise sand, but I've been pushing myself to do more and more to gain more confidence in it. Nearly all of my offs have been in deep sand, but at least they are always soft landings then haha
  19. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Gotcha in!

Hey guys, I added a link to the FB group in my sigline here, maybe you guys could do the same!
  20. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    I'd be in for riding Tn - Ok. Couldn't take enough time off to do whole thing in one shot. I have Tn-Ms maps and loaded into gps. 46 yo and going to do it on Buell Uly. I'm up for a stop and smell the roses kind of ride. Campings cool with me. I sent request to join FB page.