Anyone been using Kenda Big Block Tires?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by brooks, Aug 6, 2014.

1. brooks

brooks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have an upcoming trip and instead of using Tkc 80s I wanted to try the Kendas. A set can be had for less then 2 bills and I saw they put them on the bmw vs ktm in cycle world for their head to head challenge. I have an 07 990 and my father in law has a 2013 klr and we wanted to try them out.
  2. woodchuckexc

woodchuckexc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are very similar to TKC in performance and wear. If you are planning a long trip try the mefo or k60's. both last forever
  3. Bullskin

Bullskin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For long trips I run the Kenda Big Block front with a Heidenau K60 rear. I have got 5000-7000 miles on a Big Block front traveling cross country with mostly pavement with dirt mixed in a certain destinations.
  4. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm currently running a 606 up front and a BB out back. Pretty happy with the combo...

5. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jimmy Lewis recommends them and uses them for his offroad schools for big bikes.
    That is all I know about them.

I've used TKC80's on my 1150 Adventure, and as a front on the 990R. I'm happy using a Dunlop 908RR at the rear and TKC80 up front. They seem to wear fine in 21/18 set up on the KTM. The 908RR is pretty slick on pavement and real slick on wet pavement.

My favorite road tire with a little dirt thrown in is the Scorpion MT 90/AT. Love those tires.:clap
  6. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    Are the big blocks tubeless?
  7. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Yes, tubeless.

Word 'round the campfire is they don't last long...but they are cheap.
  8. brooks

brooks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the stock scorpions a/t for road but we are doing a 50/50 trip. I have Heidenau tires on now with almost 10000 on them and still are about 50 % but I don't like the profile or the buzziness of the front for not even being a knobby so I think I am going to try the bb's since they are cheap. I can get almost two sets for the price of Heidenaus. I think they will be good for our trip, and if we don't like them we are not out much and committed to a tire we don't like
  9. JayRider83

JayRider83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a set on my Super Enduro, they seemed to work OK. The rear only lasted 1200 miles though. After the Kendas I installed a set of the Karoo 3. They seem better then the Kenda. So far 1400 miles on the rear and not bald yet, close. I do think I have better traction on the forest roads with the Karoo though.
  10. TDsurf

TDsurf Orange Flyer

Oddometer:
    I got about 2500 on the rear, 70% slab, 30% dirt.
    They do handle great in dirt and sand.
    Just be aware that they are way squarely on twisties and slab for the first 100 miles. Once broken in they run good but noisy on the hwy.
  11. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    I have the big block front and Mefo super explorer rear.

At first the big block got my attention on the highway as it wanted to track into lines and cracks. Now, with a few hundred miles the big block is not getting my attention and is handling very well on and off road.

I usually run the Dunlop 606 front but they burn up on a long highway run. Haven't tested the big block on a long highway ride so still in the test mode there.
  12. j.king

j.king Adventurer

Oddometer:
    when i factor in price i am pretty happy with the BB rear (on a 990r). I am on my third one and have averaged around 3k miles on each. That is riding them till they are truly finished though - if you were picky I could replace them after 2k and not feel i wasted any tread :-)

They are a bit squirrelly for the first few miles but once they are scrubbed in I would say they are just fine on the road. Off-road - I have been pretty impressed. Most of my riding is in CA in the Sierras and some desert thrown in. For that type of dry, sandy, rocky, loose ground they are just fine. You can rip a whole knob off if you aren't careful when they are brand new.

Run about 38-40 on the street and 23-25 offroad.

I am thinking of trying a 908 rear - cost about 50-60$ more but they might just last a little bit longer.

Never tried the front as i have gotten well over 5k miles out of a MT21 Pirelli - that is also really using them until there is very little tread left. The front gets a bit "hoppy" on the road when they are well worn but I usually flip the wheel at least once to even out the wear.

cheers
  13. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    I was also the one who put them on the CW bikes as they are as good as you will get for being able to ride anywhere on a single set of tires. And don't worry about the rear looking worn, I run mine till it is pretty bald out back as off-road the side knobs do all the work in the softer stuff and good luck if you can wear those down...
  14. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Well there ya' go guys... you won't find a better endorsement than that... :thumb

15. brooks

brooks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw the right up in CW and figured of jimmy Lewis was using them it's good enough for my limited abilities. Doing the Northwest Passage Ride at the beginning of Sept. With my father in law an I ordered us a set each. I can't wait to try them! My K60 is pretty square an d they don't give me the greatest confidence but they have lasted almost 10000 miles and still have. Lot of life left!
  16. jeepdude65

jeepdude65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put on a set of BBs after speaking with Jimmy Lewis prior to the DV noob rally. I haven't had any problems with the tires and I have them on my GSA. As far as knobbies go for a big adventure bike, I will continue to buy them. I'm sure the TKC 80 is great, but I'm cheap and the BiG Blocks get the job done. They're noisy on the highway but so are most knobbies on the road. It comes with the territory....
  17. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I'd like to run 'em but I need better mileage out of a tire than is being reported with these.
  18. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I only got 2500 out of a rear KBB, but I like the front. I think I'll get at least 6000 miles out of the front. The KBB front looks similar to a TKC 80, but the knobs are farther apart (Especially in the center) and the sidewall much stiffer. I'm currently running a KBB front and a Heidenau K60 rear. The K60 on the rear does okay for traction and wears much much longer (More than 10,000 miles). The KBB is not as good on pavement as the TKC, but is noticeable better off road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. brooks

brooks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like everyone says about the same thing. Not quite as good as Tkc 80 on road, just about even off road, and wear just a tad faster than Tkc 80. At 120 cheaper a set that's a new rear so I'm sold. I have two new sets for me and my father in law sitting in the garage. Ill spoon em on and sept 8 I'll start the clock on our off road/onroad adventure and see how they do. I'm 6'1 250 riding a 990 fully loaded and not easy on the right wrist so I'll give them the true test!
  20. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Well, I have a KBB on the rear with about 1200 miles on, and I'll be surprised if it makes it to 2000. I'm not impressed at all with it's off road performance, on dirt, sand or gravel.
    I find it a skatey, scary mess and completely useless in mud.
    I just replaced a Pirelli Rally rear, and swore I'd never get another.
    The Pirelli is the loudest tire I've ever heard! I mean MUCH louder than any knobby I've ever used.
    But, it worked well everywhere, lasted for 3000 miles and cost about the same as a KBB.
    I'll put up with the gawdawful noise of the Pirelli any time, rather than put up with a quieter, cheaper unpredictable Big Block that's no fun to ride hard with.