1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Anyone currently working in Oman ?

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by richeyroo, Jul 14, 2011.

1. richeyroo

richeyroo XR650L, CRF450X,

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody/anybody ??

It's the good old fashioned, traditional question _ I'm going out to Oman to work for a couple of years and I wonder what bike availability is like in Oman at the moment

I worked there from 1996 to 2000 and exported my bike out there at the time which was easy enough. And I have an XR650L here in the UK which would be pretty suitable for exporting if needs be.

But if there now exists a decent enough market out there for secondhand trail bikes, then I'd rather do that

All help gratefully received

Richey
  2. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Richey,

I recall reading that the bike situation in Oman was bleak (but not hopeless). Better chance of getting something out of Dubai. Check the Dubai Petrolheads website and have a look at their classified ads for an idea of what's available.

http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/bikes-for-salewanted/

Ken
  3. NeelsK

NeelsK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

A bunch of us will be doing a road trip from Qatar to Oman in November. If you're around that time let me know. Maybe you can join us for a day or two.

Neels
  4. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks I will stay in touch

I should be arriving in late September all being well but what my bike status will be then well ..I'll have to wait and see

It doesn't seem too promising buying a bike out there, so I may well have to ship my XR650L
  5. Markham

Markham Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    Oooh, a WR450F and an R1 advertised on there - I thought I was going out there to save money :doh
  7. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    Wooo hoooo
    Start in the middle of October

Anybody got a bike for sale ??
  8. deepstar

deepstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply.....

Biking in Oman ROCKS - Emirates SUCKS....

The to*sers from the UAE are always trying to come to the radar free (nearly), open spaces and sensible drivers (err maybe not) of the Sultanate. Our roads are quieter, better laid out, and we have better policing. Our Deserts are bigger, Mountains higher (Jebel Hafeet !!!! nice bendy road.... built on Oman yielded ground), and coastline amazing.... Oh - UAE Coastline nearly all hotels and other touristy high end rubbish.

At the moment their is a glut of CRF450's - so if you think 2K Sterling is a good price for a '07 bike.... this is the place to be.

Yes Dubai has more bike dealers.... including KTM.... but Oman has the places to use the bikes.

The one thing Oman does not have is a RaceTrack.... but at 0500 ..... if you know where to go.... :lol3
  9. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    deepstar,

Didn't mean to offend your sensabilities with any comments on Oman. You are a true ambassador! I'll be in the Kingdom for a year beginning in January and plan on bringing a bike (or two) for off-piste recreation. I have to think that a road trip from Riyadh to Muscat would be a it of a haul.

Ken
  10. deepstar

deepstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries - it was not directed toward the "Magic kingdom" but to the "Sandpit up north" :rofl

As for getting here .....

If you have a ROAD bike that can make it this will be your only chance. Most expats are unable to ride through the magic kingdom.... Apparently "terrorists use motorbikes".... KSA Embassy Muscat's exact words ..... coded word for "non Arab people who ride large cc motorbikes" it seems.

Off road - yep there is lots to do here - MX track in Muscat now. There was Super-Moto (it is being very slowly re-surfaced), and some awesome road riding as well.

Plus.... we have Beer and Pork - although the latter is cheaper in the SandPit

Drop me a line when you arrive.... We generally have a road-ride out 1 a week, and the dirt bikers are also active. When MotoGP starts.... we meet in a local hotel - to watch with refreshments :freaky

Regards

Tim
  11. Ernbo6

Ernbo6 Ad augusta per angusta. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, was just there in July,...hot but awesome roads. Combine cycling with diving and it is truly a wonderful part of the world. I have to agree with DeepStar.:clap
  12. deepstar

deepstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You should have PM-ed me..... I have 4 motorbikes in my sitting room - and a fridge full of cold beer !!!:freaky

Tim
  13. Oman Biker

Oman Biker Old but not slow!!

Oddometer:
    Hi folks I'm a newbie to the site and also Oman. I've been coming here for about 9 months on and off but now just waiting for my permanent work visa. At the moment my bike (KTM 990 Adv) is in Doha (been working there for a few years) after selling my Triumph Speed Triple to buy it. The KTM seemed to make more sense down here with luggage etc for travelling although the S3 would have great fun for short blasts.

I can concur with the comments regarding the Magic Kingdom....I had my request for a transit visa refused last week when I was going to ride my bike down here. No reason given, just a refusal.

Anyway, really looking forward to getting the bike here in the next few weeks and getting some miles in on these gorgeous roads.
  14. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    These things take time (as The Smiths once said) and I'll be arriving in Muscat around January 15th 2012 :clap:clap
  15. phoenixdoglover

phoenixdoglover Where to next?

Oddometer:
    I can't believe it took me so long to find this thread. Ah well, it's about Oman. I've been working here since December 2010. Imported 2 bikes from the US - a Suzuki C50T cruiser...and a Kawasaki KLR650. I came from Arizona, so hot weather riding is familiar. If your looking for a used bike to buy here...one option is to check the advertising board at the Al Fair supermarket in Madinat Al Sultan Qaboos. I live nearby and look at the board regularly. On any given week, a bike is offered.

Three types of bikes are prevalent here (ignoring the glut of small bore delivery bikes): Harleys, Kawasaki sport bikes, and dirt bikes. Dual sport or adventure bikes are less common. However, the Harley dealer here has three new KLR650's sitting in his showroom...so maybe a good deal can be had. Also, there is a new Suzuki delaership (2 doors down from the Harley store). Have only passed by, and they have maybe 10 bikes on display. Did not see anything resembling aan adventure bike.

Gotta agree with the comments that the riding here is good...although there seems to be a certain disrespect for bikes right of way (I have had cars pass me on a single lane highway ramp)...so defensive riding is essential.

Anyway, I would love to hear from other riders looking to go on day trips from Muscat.
  16. scottmctag

scottmctag Well travelled

Oddometer:
    YOU ARE THE LUCKY ONES ...............................

[​IMG]

I think this is an excellent overview of Oman by bike :clap Heres to Mats & his mate..... oh ! and KTM
  17. scottmctag

scottmctag Well travelled

Oddometer:
    Here is Qatar .................. :huh

[​IMG]
  18. Oman Biker

Oddometer:
    The last time I called into the Harley shop I was introduced to an English guy who was, I believe, going to be the manager of their new Suzuki dealership. My understanding was that they were giving up the Kawasaki franchise.
    I went in to ask if they would service my Triumph for me when I brought it down from Qatar and the advice they gave me was to sell my bike in Qatar and buy one (a Harley obviously) in Muscat. I don't really think that will be happening..........:rofl
  19. Oman Biker

Oddometer:
    I had a quick look at the notice board at Al Fair today to see if any bikes for sale. There is a Ducati 696 Monster with loads of carbon and Akra pipes I think.
    However, the thing that put a smile on my face was an advert from someone selling a pet monkey. It was an ugly little beggar and there were 4 photos of it. The amusing thing was that it had a bloody great hard on in 3 of them.:eek1
  20. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    woooah, tell them to hold that sale - I'll be out there in in 4 weeks and I'll be needing to spank the monkey a bit before the wife arrives a few weeks later

good news on the bikes by the way, i'm not shipping one out now, I'm sure something will turn up pretty quickly :clap