1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Anyone currently working in Oman ?

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by richeyroo, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    hi all
    i know its a bit off the topic,but is there much work going on at the moment on the pipe lines,ive been out of it for about 9yrs now so lost touch,just a heads up on who to send a c.v to will do

thanks mick
  2. richeyroo

richeyroo XR650L, CRF450X,

Oddometer:
    Aw crikey, I've been here 7 days and all I've seen are old dudes on Harleys. Where are the dirtbikes ?
  3. phoenixdoglover

phoenixdoglover Where to next?

Oddometer:
    I've been in Oman a year...and there seem to be three types of riders: 1) Old guys dressed like pirates on Harleys; 2) Young guys posing next to their crotch rockets; and 3) KFC delivery men. I met a guy last night who owns a Honda 450 dirt bike, if that is any consolation. I have a Kawasaki KLR 650, which likes hard packed dirt a lot more than the soft sand and gravel you find in many places in Oman. However, if you get access to any old bike and you want a fun ride on mostly pavement, I would be happy to show you the Yiti road and As Sifah beach.

Dave
  4. phoenixdoglover

phoenixdoglover Where to next?

Oddometer:
    Well, there is now a Suzuki dealer in Oman. It is run by the same people who have the Harley dealership (Shanfari Group), and it is located in the same block of buildings a few doors down from the Harley place in Al Khuwair. I went in for a visit 2 weeks ago, and what I found is a small showroom with about 10 bikes. A couple of cruisers, some sport bikes, and a couple of Burgman scooters(!). There were no V-Stroms. I asked the sales guy if they were going to get any. He said, "No". I asked if they did special orders. He said, "No." Then he tried to sell me a used Hayabusa. :huh

So I will revisit and press them a bit. I'm in the market for a V-Strom 1000 and I'm seriously considering having one shipped from the US, but I would rather the dealer here was more compliant. Now I was up in Dubai this past weekend and the Suzuki dealer there didn't have any V-Stroms either, so if the Oman guy ordered one it might have to be delivered from afar. That's what makes my US purchase a plausible alternative.

There is no dealership in Oman I am aware of that has any interest in the adventure bike market. I don't blame them. Even though Oman has a lot of potential, given the geography and stellar weather for 5 months of the year, there seem to be very few riders taking advantage.
  5. richeyroo

richeyroo XR650L, CRF450X,

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks, I've dropped you a PM with my mobile number

cheers

Richey
  6. Datan556

Datan556 2stroke a day keeps the doctor away

Oddometer:
    Spotted this thread only now. Biking is absolutely fantastic in Oman. I lost my bike a couple of months ago. They nicked it, so first of all make sure you lock that bad boy up tight. I locked it tight but clearly hey were determined to take it. Kawasaki is in the Harley shop at the moment. (heard thats gonna change soon) In the wirkshop at the back you can easily pick up a nice deal on bikes. They have some 2nd hand ones and if you wanna splash out on a new KLR they sell them now for as low as 2200 OMR. You can rent them for 40 a day, which I think is a bit on the expensive side.

Great places to go and explore, wish I had the money to ship my Dakar650 here.

Cheers mate and Ive and if you ride on the road, do it aggresive
    and of course drink lots of water form April onwards if your on a bike, dry mouth and speeding - bad idea!:1drink
  7. clickmaster

clickmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im going to migrate Oman in less than a week, Im glad if we meet.