Anyone done the high Fender Mod on a 2013+ 800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by samalama, Apr 5, 2016.

1. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool! I see in your video you said your only removing one line.
    Are you going to install a t fitting at the abs modulator?
    Btw how long are your brake lines? I measured 60" and wondering if I'm crazy
  2. samalama

samalama Where we going?

Oddometer:
    I installed both lines up to the headstock and added a 3 way tee there. [​IMG]
    The line from the master cylinder to the abs module is 109cm center to center of the banjo bolt holes.
    The line from the abs to the tee is 90cm.
    [​IMG]
    Ignore the Stainless lines going back towards the ABS module, I had just mocked them up with spares I had laying around to see if they would fit. The Black Lines in the picture below are the new permanent lines that look great and fit perfectly. I suggest talking to Jim at Hel Performance Brakes, he is a wizard...[​IMG]
    Here are the lines attached to the ABS module. Perfect bend radius with the needed upward tilt to clear the rest of the lines.
    [​IMG]
    And finally I got to ride last Sunday just before it snowed another 16"s. Of course I had to try out the mud and I got a good dose of it!
    [​IMG]
  3. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HEL performance used to have an F800 crossover elimination kit. I looked an a bookmark I have and it's no longer available. Wish I had ordered it when I was thinking about it.
  4. VEXX

VEXX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks very good. Might try this myself.
    Are those lights good, do they blind oncoming trafic? Sorry for the offtopic..

Enviado do meu SM-J500FN atrav├ęs de Tapatalk
  5. samalama

samalama Where we going?

Oddometer:
    I am not sure about the blinding part as I haven't really ridden at night yet with them. Still too cold here.
  6. samalama

samalama Where we going?

Oddometer:
    You can call Hel Performance and Talk to Jim. He has all the measurements and can whip up the kit lickety split.
    Shooby likes this.
  7. hellyhans

Oddometer:
    How is the bend radius of those lines? I see you hardmounted the line to flex between the clamp on the fork and the caliper. At full compression, is there enough slack in the line to accommodate the bend?
  8. Jasonpaulbauer

Jasonpaulbauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So is that a modified F650GS Dakar high fender/mudguard?
  9. samalama

samalama Where we going?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Well, I have ridden hard this weekend through all sorts of terrain and never had the brake lines seize up on me due to pinching of the lines. So, I would say that the way that I have them mounted is working quite well. I'll inspect them when I give the beast a wash tomorrow, it's still covered in mud and give you a report.
    Chaco Canyon Campground NM.
    [​IMG]
    Having a ball on the road this weekend.
    [​IMG]
  10. samalama

samalama Where we going?

Oddometer:
    Yeah that is a F650 Fender that has been modified with a dremel. Works great.
  11. DeerSplitter1

DeerSplitter1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I was researching this because I too have had this happen, except I ripped the fender off the front. Fortunately the brake lines did not break. But I am wondering if what I was thinking about will work as well.

It looks like a single brake line runs from the master cylinder to the right fork (let's call it A line), where it then hits a banjo and runs over to the brakes on the left side of the bike (B line) where the ABS is. Then it loops back over the front wheel at the fender height to the right side of the wheel to the other caliper (C line).

What seems crazy to me is that the C line from the left caliper to the right caliper runs right over the top of the wheel, so if I were to remove the fender there are only about 2-3 inches of room. The B line has around 6-7 inches. In an ideal world, I would run a brake line down each fork, but ABS is an issue as you guys have pointed out.

So, my thinking is that I will get a longer C line, and zip tie it up along B line so that I have much more clearance (or run them even higher). Then I can either go without a fender (which might end up with mud all over the radiator) or take a stock fender and add a couple stainless steel tabs to raise it up about 4 inches. For a followup on the Touratech extended fender idea, they are out of stock.

Am I missing something?
  12. GoPlaces

GoPlaces yep Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a huge thread on this. Search for it. ABS is not an issue.
  13. DeerSplitter1

DeerSplitter1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I can see this thread and a few others, which is not what I was asking. In an ideal world, one would split the lines at the top and come down each fork and put a high fender. If I was going to Bolivia, I would probably go ahead and do that. But an easier, faster, and economical solution seems like just replacing the brake line from the ABS over to the right side of the wheel, and then taking a stock fender and moving it out four inches or so with some extension brackets. I apologize if I did not see that in here somewhere, but I am pretty sure it was not mentioned other than the Touratech kit which is not available and looks like you only get maybe 2 inches clearance. While I have run into the mud issue a couple of times, in both incidents just a couple more inches would have been plenty (at least for me). So I was asking if my thought was reasonable or if there was some sort of issue I was not thinking of as I have 2 weeks until a ride on the Continental Divide and really do not want to go tearing my front end apart. Since I am literally missing the front half of my fender at this moment and holding the back end up with a couple of bungee cords, it is a relevant question.
  14. samalama

samalama Where we going?

Oddometer:
    Moving the stock fender any higher than the Touratech high fender kit elevates it, will result in the fender hitting the bottom of the triple tree and causing a wreck. At full compression of the forks, there is really only a couple of inches of room from the top of the fender to the bottom of the triple tree.
  15. DeerSplitter1

DeerSplitter1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is the type of input I was hoping for and makes sense. Based on time constraints, I will take the stock up a couple inches then but I ordered a 38 inch stainless line fro the ABS side of the wheel to the right side, which I can zip tie to the lines that are above it. If I have a problem, at least I can take off the front fender and have more room up to the new line. I guess I will do the full mods in the posts after the trip. Thanks for the response.
  16. hellyhans

Oddometer:
    Well guys it's been a while but I had a couple of things to take care of.
    Here is my setup and I think this is the easiest and best way to convert to with the high fender mod.
    Here is what I did.
    I used 2x 26inch lines with AN3 fittings running up to a mini tee fitting under the front fender.

Instead on using a new line to the ABS modulator. I used the original line and had my hose shop cut and recrimp a AN3 fitting.

All I needed was 2 straight banjo AN3 fittings for the calipers.

If you don't want to cut the OEM hose..All you need is a 44 inch hose going from the ABS modulator to the tee fitting under the front fender.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. samalama

samalama Where we going?

Oddometer:
    Nice and Clean. I daresay better than my setup.
  18. hellyhans

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah it's a nice clean setup.
    I wanted to avoid having to guess the proper length with the perfect banjo fitting angle.
    I just used straight AN3 fittings and was done with it, mini tee-fitting and nothing too complicated and everything mounted underneath to keep my dash cockpit free of dist. blocks and lines and what not.
  19. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hellyhans,

Those are not the stock cable guides on each of your fork legs? For clarification I am talking about the "loop" type guides that clamp around the bottom of the sanctions. Can you tell use where you sourced those?

Create job on the conversion! I am a huge fan of the high fender mod.
  20. hellyhans

Oddometer:
    No here is the item Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/282043405067
    I bought a second OEM BMW clamp for the fork to attach these to

Sent from my T08 using Tapatalk