Anyone downsized?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by shoeb, Sep 28, 2015.

1. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm considering swapping my FZ6 for a smaller bike that's a bit lighter and easier in the city for commuting, but I'd still like it to be fun at the weekend being chucked around back roads. I'd tour on it too, but I'm not bothered about mega speed. I'm wondering if a ninja 250r would fit the bill. Note: here in the UK, the ninja isn't quite so synonymous with learners as it is in the USA.

Has anyone here done anything similar- downsized to a much smaller bike? Was it worth it? Why did you do it? Or, why wouldn't you do it?!
  2. Threewheelbonnie

Threewheelbonnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peaked at 1100 cc and 100 HP. Now at 740cc and 48 HP. I don't miss the weight, running costs and the fact they are illegal at half throttle. Do it.

Andy
    patmo likes this.
  3. Fatjock

Fatjock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done both. Downsized and upsized.
    As long as you like the bike you're riding, and it suits you, who cares what size it is?

One of the most fun bikes I ever had was an NS125F (de-restricted).

I've gone from 125-550-500-1100-/-125-400-250-805-1300-650-1100 (both sides of the Atlantic, the slash is where I crossed). Enjoyed every one of them, in different ways.

Ride what you like, and like what you ride! When you no longer like it, it's time to move on. Whether that's a month, or a decade, later.
  4. kohburn

kohburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    no ninja 300 in the UK?
  5. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Certainly is and I'd love one, but they're a bit pricier being so new. I'd rather wait until they come under the 3 grand mark without galactic mileage.

Andy, you've got a point; a big I4 is like a flirty cousin, sooner or later you'll do something you regret.
    Jim_Nazium likes this.
  6. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    picked up a used cbr250r for commuting and it's an absolute blast

that said I've always liked the smaller motors. my big roadbike touring thing is an old sv650

cbr250r FI is super sweet, it takes a day to get used to 8k rpm down the freeway, but I love it
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I may downsize from an FJR1300 to a Super Tenere. If you can call that downsizing. :lol3

Like trading an extra large pizza for a box of chicken cause I'm going on a diet.
    MariusD likes this.
  8. Vectored2adv

Vectored2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lateral! Both of those bikes are the biggest bikes in their class from Yamaha.

Test rode Yamaha r3 recently and Hyabusa at a demo day. I had more pure fun on r3 blasting WOT than having to constantly restrain throttle use on hyabusa. R3 felt like being an eager red bull pilot lol.
    clfarren5944 likes this.
  9. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    I've downsized. After nearly two decades of riding 80-100 bhp motorcycles weighing 485-550 lbs, my newest bike is a 50bhp 400 lbs Guzzi V7 Special.

Great retro styling. Hepco + Becker luggage. Nice, standard seating. I bought it for commuting and around town, and it's filling the bill nicely.
  10. DaveB74

DaveB74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whenever the need strikes, I roll out the old Honda VT500 Ascot and enjoy some quality time with it. Hang the rear out on the dirt in a powerslide and everything becomes right in the world.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    From a 1200 to a 250 then up to a 400 for the street, and from a 650 to a 200 in the dirt/dual sport.
    Way more fun on small light bikes you can flog all the time.
    Low cost as well.
  12. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    An FZ-7 would be about 50 lbs lighter than what you have now, less top end but more torque= fun. Just as a comparison, the FZ-7 is lighter than Honda's CB500 twin.

If you REALLY want to go smaller, look at the Yamaha R3. You would still have the speed to tour in a reasonable fashion as long as you're not loaded down with junk.

I replaced a Suzuki C90 cruiser with a SYM Citycom 300i bigwheel scooter. I still have a V-Strom 1000 but the scooter is so comfortable and handy with it's storage and weather protection, that it get's more miles than the big bike. I did a 2000 mile week long tour on it no problem.
  13. scoutDad

scoutDad IBA#203

Oddometer:
    Have owned over 30 motorcycles over the last 45 years, from 70cc to 1500cc. Most recently moved from an ST1300 (that I really liked, except the weight) to a KLX250S for dual sporting and a V-Strom 650 for road trips. Really enjoying the lighter bikes.
  14. Motornoggin

Motornoggin Two-Bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently went from a C-14 to an FJ-09. 250# weight reduction, as well as the requisite girth. Feels so much better!
  15. domingo3

domingo3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be the outlier and urge some caution before downsizing all the way to 250 cc. I've downsized from liter class to 650 cc. For the most part, it's just fine. I shift a little more and have fewer power wheelies - no big loss. I've ridden a buddy's Ninja 250 and didn't enjoy it much. Weight savings is not that substantial. Power is down so much that I would go WOT and feel like I was waiting for the speed to come up - especially if there was a hill involved. It certainly does the job of getting you around, but, for me, just not so fun. If you like going through twisties and building your skills of carrying momentum through corners and such, then it is probably a lot better fit.
    Jim K. likes this.
  16. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. Now @ 650cc, down from 1 liter. Loving it. Far fewer interactions with law enforcement.
  17. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd go SM or dualsport...at least 350cc. Can you plate a WR450F or a CRF450X? Big bore a KLX250S?
  18. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input I need people with your experience! I'm surprised the weight wasn't more noticeable; on paper wet weight is about 40kg (80-odd pounds?) less than the FZ6. I actually like the idea of being able to use all the throttle and all the revs! Also you are spot on; I'd like to improve my cornering skill and I reckon a bike without limitless power works for that. Got a nagging feeling I'd miss that arm-tugging acceleration though. Anyone go small and then regret it?
  19. Drycht86

Drycht86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride cruisers so my numbers might be off but my current one is a vstar 650. Somewhere around 45-50 hp and I'm a bigger guy. It's fun going full throttle through all the gears at every light and stay within speed limit haha. Honestly though it works for me and I have a lot of fun with it. I can cruise all day long at 70mph also.

That said my next bike will be a minimum 75hp. Too many 85mph speed limit roads makes my bike feel slow and borderline dangerous.
    SmittyBlackstone and ewxlt like this.
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got up to a 1500 Wing and FLRTP years ago and am on the way down now. I enjoy riding in the mountains of Western North Carolina where the speeds are low and I'm not in a hurry anyway.