Anyone downsized?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by shoeb, Sep 28, 2015.

1. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

from this

to this

[​IMG]

diggin the lean life
    cerv likes this.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. I had a 929RR and my brother was riding a GSXR750. After a particularly spirited ride one day (no, stupid ride!) we decided that we were going to kill ourselves on these bikes and went down to the Ducati dealer to see what we could trade them for. He got a used 900 Monster and I got a new 750 Monster and we never looked back. That was 15 years ago and we still have our Ducs. I don't miss the HP one bit.
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    About to go from a VFR 750 to a Ducati Scrambler. The funny thing is that the Scrambler is 800cc and the VFR is 750, but I'll still be downsizing in weight (by over 100 lbs) and HP (by about 25).

The thing I like most about the Scrambler in comparison to the VFR is the light weight. I've had that VFR for 7 years and like it a lot, but always hated how heavy it is, and how labored the handling is. Also, the seating position is pretty horrible for a tall guy with long legs like me. I get tired of riding around with my nuts crushed on the damn tank all the time. Really looking forward to a lighter, more nimble machine.

Now, I had a Ninja 250 for several years and put 16K miles on it. I agree with the guy who said to use caution, and go into this with your eyes open. See if you can test ride one. They are not fast motorcycles by any stretch of the imagination. If you are tall (wind-block) and/or heavy, the bike will be pretty maxed out around 70 MPH with no reserve for hills or headwinds. They can just barely keep up with modern traffic from a stop light, and you'll be constantly revving the nuts off the thing and shifting (which some people think is fun, and it is...for a while). They are a ton of fun on a tight backroad though! Really depends how you are going to use it. I didn't like it around town very much because it's just not torquey enough. A good city bike, for me, needs to be able to get that holeshot and take advantage of gaps in traffic. It needs to squirt. If there is one thing a Ninja 250 doesn't do, it's squirt.

They are perfectly competent motorcycles, but you need to be aware of their limitations and not set your expectations too high.
  4. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    But you kept the FXRP right? Please tell me you kept it... :dunno
  5. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    sorry to disappoint you.
    it was an FXLR with FXRP fairing that i bartered for.
    sold the hog before heading to iraq 2005
  6. anotheroldfart

anotheroldfart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I downsized from a 900lb Gold Wing to a 650lb HD Dyna Low Rider. At 75 years old, I'm not planning any long distance tours like did on the Wing. I don't miss the heavy weight wing, but I do miss the Wing comfort and it's sound system.
  7. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's interesting. Here in the UK Harleys are often maligned for being heavy. I haven't ridden one so I don't know. Do you find it quite manageable to haul round the garage, do slow manoeuvres etc?
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    ZZR1200 to a KTM 950SMR to a Ninja 300 to a R3.

KTM was a riot, Ninja lacked quality by a loooong margin, R3 is a better 300 in every regard, quality is decent too, but still not like the KTMs from Austria.

Regrets, na. The lighter bike (300/321) is still too fast for real street riding. My motocross bike is 610cc and I won't ride under a 450 off road, but the street is a joke. It needs more loam!!!

Attached Files:

9. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That R3 looks great! I had a chance to see one in person recently and they’re definitely attractive bikes.
    clfarren5944 likes this.
  10. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    does moving from a tuono v4 to a cruiser count as "downsizing"?
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    No that's slowing down :lol3
  12. cls

cls Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking more along the lines of, "getting older." All good...

I've down-sized in most every possible way: number of bikes, size of bikes, power of the bikes, technology of the bikes, and cost of the bikes. What I miss of the big and high-performance bikes is more than off-set by the advantages of the smaller bikes. But you gotta' wait until it's right for you. I wouldn't have had it this way a couple of years ago. Now? I have no real interest in going back.
  13. Bama67

Bama67 Cooler in real life

Oddometer:
    Ive had several dual sports but for my road rides I went from
    Suzuki Intruder >Harley Softail>Bandit 1250s>Ninja 1000> Griso 8V SE> FZ09> KLX250SF supermoto

I will give the FZ09 credit for making me see how much fun a light bike is, I sold it and used the KLX as my street bike, but I also did the TAT and an Iron Butt with it.

That said, it still sucks for long distance and I am picking up a 2014 Versys 650 for that.
    I can't see myself ever owning a bike over 450-460lbs again.
  14. cerv

cerv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to own an R 1200 GS and now I ride a Ducati Hyperstrada. Not sure if it counts as downsizing, though, as the power-to-weight ratio is actually better.
  15. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a KTM 690 Enduro I bought as a compliment to the big BMW GSA. The KTM is great for short commutes. A 690 Duke would be a blast around town. The KTM's are about 65hp & 350 lbs IIRC. Just about perfect IMO.
  16. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    I currently ride an R6 and don't care for the power

Would prefer a smaller bike for sure. I like to go WOT and the R6 isn't able to without going nuts
  17. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah thats just how I feel. Whole lotta giggles to be had winding 4 or 5 gears right out. Could do it on my old 500, can't on the 6 without doubling the limit. R3 would be a dream, but perhaps gpz500 might be the paupers choice?
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ninja 500? Go the extra couple bucks and get the 300 used, or even better, find a used R3 cause it does everything better and has a better built platform from the start.

41/37mm forks, better steering bearings, more power, etc.

I bought a new 500 Ninja in 2006, it could do anything, but the N300 was actually a better bike IMO. The fueling was far and away better even if peak power was down. Ride ability was far better. They suffered the same crappy steering bearings too and added the old school ergos.
  19. anotheroldfart

anotheroldfart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The HD baggers weight in around 800-900 lbs and are quite top heavy. Wing is around 850 lbs and not as top heavy but a handfull in slow city traffic, IMO. My Dyna is much easier to navigate around slow traffic and parking lots.

Just my experiences....YMMV.
    shoeb likes this.
  20. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah no doubt. I'd expect the 300 to be better in most ways. But, in the UK at least you can get a 500 for a third of the price of a used 300! Can't wait until these new bikes can be had for a couple of grand. I'm loving the effort they're finally putting into the lightweight bike again.