Anyone downsized?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by shoeb, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's the available credit here, (USA), I just about had to give mine away. Thankfully it was cheap to begin with despite many, many mods to make it live able. The R3 needs much less.

Ninja 300 needed tires, brakes, suspension, bearings and stuff pretty much right away.

The R3 has too little rebound damping out back but otherwise is a pretty decent package. I'd pick it stock over my heavily modded 300 easily. Only thing my modded bike has over it now is adjustable shock and a killer front brake. The R3 will get those down the road too but it's a good measure better to begin with.
  2. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    I went down in size years ago after having owned a bunch of bikes that would do ludicrous speed.

Totally happy. No more involvement in the dick measuring contests with the fast crowd and the shirtless teenagers who want to race at every light. No more expensive tires and twitchy response in bad weather. Just easier and more relaxed all the way around. I did go way down in hp and realized that the sweet spot for me is not at the bottom. It's somewhere in the middle. So smaller isn't always better. You have to find what is best for you. When you do, it's pretty great.
    DariusX and Super Sneaky Steve like this.
  3. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I kept my 1000 though for that need for speed. Really like +10 mpg on the 650. I'd get a 450 single for MX riding too. That's next on the list. :-)
  4. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'd say I had the most fun on bikes around 30-50bhp. Pity that not many bikes in that range are much lighter than sports 600s, particularly if you're not into supermotos.
  5. DeejayP999

DeejayP999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went from a Bandit 1250 to an MT07 and I don't regret it one bit.

I wanted less weight, less complexity, more fun and more mpg. And I got them all.

I did more miles in the first year on the little Yam than I did on the 1250 in the previous three years.

That tells it's own story.
    Motornoggin, kraven and shoeb like this.
  6. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always had multiple bikes 250,650,1200 and 1300cc bikes. Replaced the ST1300 with F800ST since the wife quit riding so that worked out fine. The F650GS was perfect around town and gravel road bike...now thats gone along with the KLX250. I went back to a 1200GS for my offroad, power/torque and nimble enough for me. Then theres the Multistrada 1200 also I like big twins.
    I've said to much I know but give me a 1200cc motor!
  7. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience and preference, smaller is in no way always better. Your location and the type of riding you do will dictate the size of the bike that works best. I have ridden everything from 250 all the way to 1900 in my environment and personally prefer stuff in the 650-1200cc range and 400-550lb. I HATE anything 250cc, I feel like a fly just waiting to be swatted on bikes in that size (and I have ridden several different styles of 230-250cc bikes). On the other hand, the big cruisers don't have the agility I like in the way I ride, but I do enjoy them on occasion.

I downsized from a suzuki m50 805cc to the vstrom DL650, which is perfect for what I do, and is a keeper for now. I am also looking to downsize my 2nd bike Victory Hammer 1600 to something along the lines of CB1100/Bonneville/V7 and maybe even possibly the FZ-7 or XRS7 (when it comes out).

That's just what I find works best for the riding I do. Your results should and will vary.
  8. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Multiple bikes are the only answer
  9. cls

cls Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. But, still, ya' gotta' pick which ones.
  10. Dave92029

Dave92029 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently downsized to a 250cc RX3 Cyclone. This is the adventure bike sold exclusively by CSC to North American riders. No dealer network, do it yourself service and maintenance with a two year unlimited warranty. I have had many large bikes but recently I find that I really do not want to ride on the interstate. I prefer a more casual pace along two lane country roads.

The RX3 comes with bags, crash bars and a host of nice features. The bike is capable of cruising comfortably at 75mph all day, or attacking the tight twisty mountain roads that I prefer to ride.

Yes, the 25hp 250cc engine does not have the power to go up steep grades as quickly as a liter bike, but it is "fast enough" for this retired guy, and lots of fun.

I'm really enjoying riding a lighter, smaller bike.

Attached Files:

11. cls

cls Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to hear your opinion of the RX3, if you're so inclined. A PM is fine, if it shouldn't be here, on the thread. What you've ridden in the past, comparisons, general take, riding impression, etc. would be great, once you've had time to form a valid opinion.

Again, if you're so inclined.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  12. Dave92029

Dave92029 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took delivery of my RX3 on June 25, at the CSC facility in Azusa. The bike now has about 2,900 smiles on her. No issues, or problems. The bike has continued to exceed my expectations. Most of my previous bikes have been BMW's (900k), so At $3495 for the RX3, I figured I had very little downside with this purchase.

The RX3 is very well mannered, and predictable. It's short wheelbase, and light weight make for a bike that handles twisty mountain roads aggressively. It is also very stable rolling down the freeway at an indicted 80mph.

My bike is averaging 65mpg on 87 octane fuel. This past weekend I joined a ride across the mountains with about 18 other riders ( mostly BMW). I know that I wad shifting a lot more than the other riders, and I was at the back of the group because a 250cc bike just doesn't have the torque to keep up on steep grades, but I wasn't too far behind. On the freeway section of the ride I was indicting 8,000 rpm - 80 mph, probably a true 70-72 mph. I averaged 60mpg for the 180 mile ride.

The biggest challenge is learning how to get access to selected bolts, to do routine maintenance. There are several excellent and supportive forums to answer any questions, and CSC is also an excellent resource. CSC has a no hassle attitude, if a customer feels something needs replacing, CSC quickly ships them a replacement part.

I am very pleased with my purchase, and look forward to getting on the RX3 for my next ride.

Hope this covers your question.
  13. Dagny_Taggart

Dagny_Taggart John Galt - 2020 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kept the Super Tenere but traded the KLR for a CB500X as the small bike. I hated the KLR but I love the CB500X... just an honest bike that has just enough of everything and doesn't have any pretensions.
  14. cls

cls Long timer

Oddometer:

"At $3495 for the RX3, I figured I had very little downside with this purchase." That is the huge appeal for me, especially considering it should be an imminently practical, versatile, easy-to-own bike. The value is better on a used DR/XR/KLR650, I'm sure, but I really like FI and 6-spd...and new (Guilty, as charged.).

I'm much obliged for the response and good to hear. Ride on.
  15. jwoods986

jwoods986 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OP isn't on a 1000cc superbike or 700-800 lb cruiser, he has an FZ6. IIRC, those are under 500 lbs and less than 100 hp, that sounds downsized enough to me.

Edit - if it's your only bike.
  16. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking too...
  17. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point, but it depends on your viewpoint. To me, the FZ6 is still waaaay more bike than anyone needs for the street if ego is taken out of the equation. So is a 650 really. So, I don't know if "downsizing" means that much if you go from "more than enough" to "still more than enough".

My idea would be to downsize to something that actually might not be "enough" for some tasks, like comfortably doing freeway miles. It would involve a sacrifice. The payoff being properly light weight, mpg, price and the ability to really use all of the bike, which I find more satisfying than just getting big numbers on my dash. But I started the thread to see if that sacrifice might become unbearable over time, so I wanted to hear from people who ride these small bikes to see if they just got fed up of not being able to do everything with absolute ease. Jury's still out!
    Dave92029 likes this.
  18. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    To answer your question: My every day go-to bike is a Chinese 200cc "dual sport" that I bought used for $125.00 with only 500 miles on the clock. It's not really capable of freeway riding but otherwise it's a joy. 222 lb weight, 65 to 85 mpg, top speed about 65 mph. I sold my Goldwing a few years ago, downsized to a GL500 Interstate for some long tours, now I'll be selling that because it just sets most of the time while I ride the 200. In the distant past a Vespa 200 was my only transportation for many years, 80 mile per day commute, many long rides including Alaska in 1978.

19. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went from a 1150GS to a Honda CTX700 DCT. There were a lot of trade offs, but in the end it was right for me. Overall, I think big bikes are overrated.
    GlennR likes this.
  20. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should run with that idea then and find out for yourself, because the thing is, there will always be someone on this board who will say "Sure, I do that all day, every day, and twice on Sundays", while most other riders won't be comfortable with the same setup, and chances are good you will not either. There's really only one way to find out for sure. Right now you're really just speculating.
    DariusX and SmittyBlackstone like this.