Anyone downsized?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by shoeb, Sep 28, 2015.

1. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're right. I shall have to get arse to saddle really. At the risk of going totally off topic though, how would you do it? I am a bit shy about going to prospective sellers for a test ride without really knowing if it's what I'm after, that seems like I'm wasting their time. Am I just being to sensitive?
  2. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my area, dealerships will not let you test ride new bikes, but are ok with test riding used ones. That is the route I have gone in the past when wanting to try a bike. Check out your local dealer's used inventory.
    GlennR likes this.
  3. Fatjock

Fatjock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Call me crazy, but isn't that what a "test" ride is, to find out whether it is what you're after?

If they are willing to offer test rides, I think if you make it clear that you are a serious buyer, trying to decide just what to buy, there shouldn't be an issue in testing a few different bikes.
    It's the cost of doing business for them.
    I don't know what it's like in UK now, with test rides, but back in the late 80's early 90's, you had to show evidence of having a rider policy insurance before many places would let you ride. I don't know if rider policies even exist anymore.
  4. cls

cls Long timer

Oddometer:
    And in reference to his F6, he mentions wanting something lighter and easier, a Ninja 250 as a possible alternative, and asked if anyone had gone to anything notably smaller. A smaller bike can certainly do everything certain folks are looking for. I like a bigger bike for 2-up and highway speeds, but it's not required. I presume if he's asking, he's interested in going in that direction from where he is.

I agree w/you, for an only bike. But, to each his own.
    shoeb likes this.
  5. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Victory Vision to a Honda NC700X. I was moving from a small house with a 2.5 car garage in Wisconsin to an apartment in the north burbs of San Diego. Can ya blame me?
  6. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK I know this thread has been dead a bit but it's still a question I'm grappling with and I've a couple of new questions on the subject. My basic choices are now either a CBF500 or a CBR250R.

So, what do you reckon is best for travelling, a naked 500 or a faired 250? And is it worth the reduction in power to get a newer, low miles 250 against an older 500? Penny for your thoughts!
  7. LondonGent

LondonGent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    VFR1200X Crosstourer to a DL650 Vstrom.. No regrets. Apart from motorway work the Vstrom is better for my typical usage. Cheaper to run and easier for the most part..
  8. reinoud

reinoud ntvblue

Oddometer:
    It's more fun to drive fast on a small bike than tot drive slow on a fast bike...
  9. plodalong

plodalong Now if we just.....

Oddometer:
    Depends where you want to use it. Around town the 250 would be fine but would work harder on the highways. The 500 would be easier at higher cruising speeds with less gear changes for hills and headwinds. I just bought a 125 for my short commute, takes a while to get used to the lack of torque and power but it does the job fine and with a 14 litre tank runs forever.
  10. rosmoe

rosmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went from a 2003 1150 GS to a 2014 CB 500 X . Very happy I did. Only difference is the GS would go 125 mph, the 500 X will do a 100 mph. No need to go either of those speeds again. 70 to 80 mph is plenty. FB_IMG_1453655946125.jpg 20150717_105627.jpg
  11. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I downsized. :D

Before -

[​IMG]

After -

[​IMG]
    GlennR, dtysdalx2 and B02S4 like this.
  12. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Both awesome looking bikes, especially the big Victory. It looks like a couch on two wheels!
    How do the two compare?
    Rollin' likes this.
  13. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me nothing will compare to the Vision. Had it 5 years and rode from coast to coast to coast to coast with no problems. Completed 15 IBA rides.

After riding Victory's for 10 years it was time for something different. The CTX is fun!!
  14. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, both are small and are not fast bikes. The 250 is near 50 lbs lighter, but the 500 produces twice the power. Suspension and brakes are budget on both, so that's a push. For sport riding, if you wanted to wring the neck out of the bike and giggle the whole way round, the 250 would be the better choice. You can really focus on line selection and getting the most out of the bike. If you don't want to ride around like your hair is on fire, and barely break the speed limit, the 500 would be the more relaxed bike. More power means it will cope with a touring load better than the CBR, and with a windshield, it should be comfortable to tour on. If you want to tour, the 500 is the better small bike. If you want to ride the limit of the bike, the 250 can do that.

This video is pretty entertaining to watch and gives you and idea what the baby CBR can do when it's caned, and slightly race prepped.

He set the class record for the 350 Sportsman class in that video, and was WOT for most of the lap.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  15. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a great topic as I get older (61 this year) I think about this. I have bigger bikes '08 K1200GT, '12 Super Tenere, and my favourite '07 KTM 990 (it is at Stephan's in Europe). I am also 6'4 and 230 pounds and ride very little inside the city now and don't commute by MC. I live in Vancouver and quite frankly would prefer to ride almost anywhere but in the great metropolitan area of Vancouver, BC. Last year after riding into Istanbul mid afternoon to our hotel smack in the middle of downtown, my wife who also rides (Prudhoe, Inuvik) says well that sure felt safer than riding through Vancouver.

Right now I have 2 high mileage bikes and the Tenere, eventually I will be down to 1 bike (as my inventory wears out) and based on my experience I need a tall lighter bike that can still do two up, be good for camping (not Glamping) and can go coast to coast comfortably .

I thought the Tenere would be my retirement bike but it is a bit top heavy, not the best on gas and doesn't turn my crank enough to make me want to ride it out through my golden years. It would be suitable to Two-up through South America however and that is our plan for that bike.
    Being tall eliminates so many choices, I really like that 700 cc Honda but I would appear as though i was a dog riding a flea :raindanceand I have some criteria - any MC I own must have ABS and it can't have BMW service costs.

If KTM made an updated version on the 690 adventure I would buy it in a second, otherwise if I had to downsize today I would lighten up and buy the KTM 1190 Adv with the 21" front wheel.

Being outside the normal height /weight downsizing is much more of a challenge. Hopefully the manufacturers will read my post and immediately start to build bikes for me.
  16. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, please ROLLIN", shed some light on your "downsizing" experience :raindanceIt would be great to hear your input on how the two compare, especially for long distance travel.

I've test ridden the whole spectrum of bikes, and find I prefer bikes in the range of 400-500lb for daily use, and day tripping.

However, I do have cross country touring ambitions as well, so I wonder if a 800-900lb gorilla might be best to do that. That CTX1300 does look very competent, and at 725lb it's definitely a gorilla, even if on the lighter end.
  17. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm envious! Would love a big Victory as it looks just the ticket for mile munching.
    Finances (lack of!) and a very patchy dealer network in England put me off it. But the CTX would surely come in at a close second :-)
    Rollin' likes this.
  18. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good summary. OK, assuming both would do the job adequately, would you rather get a mint 250 or a 30,000 mile 500? That's kinda the problem I'm dealing with, otherwise I'd opt for the 500 for simplicity's sake.
  19. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    @shoeb if that is the mile differential I'd much rather have the new 250. At 30,000 miles I'd expect things like wheel bearings, bushings, brake pads, fork seals, chain and sprockets, steering stem bearings, swingarm bearings, etc. to be pretty much shot. I don't know exactly how durable those components are on the Honda, but I know they had to cut costs somewhere, and those consumables are a good way to do that.

I'd be concerned with having to do lots of maintenance work, and replacing nearly all of the wear and tear parts, to get the bike back into like new condition. I'd rather hop on the new bike and ride then have to spend several weekends reconditioning it, or paying a shop to do it.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's fair. The 250 would have about 5000 miles on it for the same price, not to mention ABS as standard. Think that might be the way to go as long as it can cruise at 60-70mph. I did used to have a 500 and I never felt I didn't have enough power, but I guess every rider has a minimum power they can deal with before it becomes an irritation. Just a case of finding mine.

I'm surprised how few people here have downsized under about 600cc, most still seem to be well into 'big bike' territory. Perhaps there's a reason for that...