Anyone downsized?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by shoeb, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every rider has their own happy place. The CBR250R can run at 90 mph just fine, so should be perfect at 60-70.

I prefer about 70rwhp and about 400 lbs for a do it all street machine.
    shoeb likes this.
  2. cls

cls Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just went to a mostly mid-bore garage after decades of big-bore, high-performance bikes. I'd take the 500 over the 250 all day for a do-it-all bike. However, if it's a matter of 30K miles vs. very low miles, that's a factor. I surely don't know all the high-mileage components will need attention...but I don't know they won't. Environment, maintenance, riding style, etc. of the previous owner(s) will largely play in that formula. To me, a 250 is just not enough for all-around public road duty. Back road, slower speed only (or the vast majority of the time)? Ok, then. The light weight and low price are really nice. Sustained speeds (over 50-60, say), and I just can't stand the high revs and lack of power w/most 250's. I'd lean to the 500. Work on the price due to mileage, and check everything good.

OTOH, to each his/her own. Good luck.
    B02S4 likes this.
  3. NorthBayPete

NorthBayPete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm considering swapping my FZ6 for a smaller bike that's a bit lighter and easier in the city for commuting, but I'd still like it to be fun at the weekend being chucked around back roads. I'd tour on it too, but I'm not bothered about mega speed. I'm wondering if a ninja 250r would fit the bill. Note: here in the UK, the ninja isn't quite so synonymous with learners as it is in the USA.
    Has anyone here done anything similar- downsized to a much smaller bike? Was it worth it? Why did you do it? Or, why wouldn't you do it?!

I have an FZ6 and a TW200. I love them both but most times when I head out to the garage I jump on my TW200. Its just so much fun and I have no problem doing 500 km days on it. Another advantage is I can have a hoot all day for like $7. That being said I would hate to part with my FZ6 its such a nice mid size bike for traveling long distances. So far the only bike I would consider to replace my FZ6 is the CB500X. Ya small bikes are awesome!
  4. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    Always depends on the riding you do. How far, how fast, how sporty. Younger in the USA, my 71 CL350 and 72 T500 felt about perfect. Got seduced by power speed and the ability to take more with you and longer service intervals and supposed engine longevity.
    In the UK, a modern 250 twin should work fine and be fun.
    Sigh, put 35,000 miles on my 71 in ten months, engine was fine but chassis wore out (I didn't know any better). Cheaper to sell and replace than fix.
    Try to get a long test ride on a 250 though. A TW is not like a street twin.

My best riding buddy has a 2004 Kawasaki ZX10R and 2009 NINJA ER6n. Both lighter than the FZ1. Or the FZ6 I think. He just bought a 2014 KTM 690 Duke, now that is light..

A 500 or 650 would suit me better than the 2003 FZ1 I am working on. But, in the USA damaged or neglected big bikes are usually cheaper to buy and fix. This one was. I'm kind of a big guy, size and weight, for a 250. Miss the 73 XL250 I had, that was very fun.

Good luck, cheers..
  5. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Honda nc750x last year as a workhorse/runaround. Ridiculously cheap to run. Needs next to no maintainance and has the big advantage of being inconspicuous and if it gets nicked is easy to replace. There's a lot to be said for downsizing ( though I still have 5 1000cc bikes ;-))

If you're happy at 85 it does a good job as a tourer
    turbodieseli4i6 and MariusD like this.
  6. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    Isn't it funny how that works? I picked up a Bandit 1200S for $400, it needed front fairings, front fender, carbs, and an airbox. It's nearly finished now, starts and runs great, and I'm around $1200 total on the bike. It looked like this when I brought it home- that's a lot of bike for $400!

[​IMG]
    JaySwear likes this.
  7. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I wouldn't call it "downsized" as I still have the R1200GSA, but I recently traded in my KTM 1290 Super Duke for 2 bikes - a KTM 390 Duke for my wife, and a KTM RC390 for me. No, I'm not :loco.
    I'm going to miss the 1290, I really liked it. I enjoy all size bikes, but the 1290 stayed in Florida and the RC390 will stay in WNC. :wink:

I'd change the signature below, but I'm not willing to give up the color ! :D
  8. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Is it my imagination, or is that a ceramic coated Holeshot stepped header on that B12?
  9. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started on a 96 dr200 (want another) went to a 06 ninja250 (I recommend all the pre 08 ninja 250's) -> 08 ninja 650(loved it might buy another) ->00 xt350 (honestly dont recall...) ->07 klr650 (fun but a pig)-> 08 aprilia sportcity 250 (miss the luggage not the clutch) -> 12 cbr250r (Power sucks but MPG's are amazing multi-hour trips at 80mph are totally doable but not comfy, wont buy another) -> 04 drz400s (yes, yes and more yes buy one!) -> 03 yj50 (top speed 45mph loved this smoker will buy another or a 50cc 2t with a clutch) -> 97 YZF600R (current steed; super comfy for a sport bike; smooth cruiser great MPG, for a 150mph bike.... not much torque =no power wheelies...) I've long term borrowed bigger bikes but didnt like many of them... would like to try the big ktms and other superslab adv bikes...

Would i trade back down to a 250 ninja? -probably not, more likely I'd get another drz400s and a ysr50....
  10. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    I've heard good things about the DRZ. And while not a sumo, I'm thinking the 2016 Duke 690 might be just the bike.
  11. SwitchThrottle

SwitchThrottle Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer:
    I "down sized" from a '96 YZF600 to the '08 Husky 450SMR. I'm keeping the 450, but I think a 471 or 650 is in my future. As for the 690 and Dizzer...both are great bikes, but of the 2 the 690 is gonna put much bigger smiles on your face, and probably for almost as long. If they offered the current 690 when I bought my 450, I would have "upsized" to the 690.
  12. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a slow slide down. Started at 650, quickly moved to 1000, then a 1200. Now I've got a 900, 800 and just recently a 400. Especially for the dual sports, small is good. I'm looking forward to a lightweight in the woods.
    For road trips, the 800 is plenty. One of these days I'll get a 300 for city duty.
  13. theraymondguy

theraymondguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have downsized from a KZ550A4 Sport (GPz 550 without the fairing) to a CBX250H, which is like moving from a boulder to a blade of thick grass w.r.t. weight. I can easily pick up the rear end of the bike with one hand and swing it around in my garage. It has a better power to weight ratio than any of the more modern 250s. Insurance is less than a dollar a day, which was the majority of my motivation for choosing a smaller bike. It is an absolute riot to ride on side roads. It is an absolute nightmare on highways - it is so light that it gets pulled into any vehicle that wants to overtake. Tires may be a contributing factor as they are older.
  14. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Insurance and fuel econ are big reasons to go small for commuter rides. Tho I do love being able to roll on the throttle and get well away from highway congestion.
  15. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Downsized last summer much to my surprise and enjoyment. Sold the R1200GS and bought a standard UJM. Good move on my part, I was ready for something lighter and shorter. Pleasure to ride and wander the back roads, sustained interstate travel not my thing - I can leave a couple days earlier if the destination is my objective.
    Smaller, lighter, simpler - good description of my life philosophy now.
  16. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The suspense is killing us. WHICH UJM? Do you still wear your BMW hat at the Starbucks? Buddies still talk to you? Inquiring minds! :smile6
  17. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    I haven't owned scores of different bikes, but some different sizes...sportster 1200, klr650, honda cgl125, xs650, and now a cb1100. Nearly a perfect U. The 125 was a street bike that I owned in Costa Rica. My daily commute was rt 60 kilometers up a steep, incredibly twisty incline and then right back down, then reverse to go home. The opposite way weekends was 15k to the beach. Too many hairpin curves to count, and if you reached 60-70kph, what 35-40mph?, on any given stretch you would soon be grabbing the breaks and/or downshifting...quickly. Bike would max out at 15-20mph up the steepest grades because it simply couldn't pull harder. Didn't matter because there was usually a caravan of trucks going 10mph so I could still pass them! Got about 90mpg so very easy on the wallet. I'm 6'3" and bike had a 28" seat height...way too small for me...but, for the area I was riding it was fine, would have preferred "a little more power", you know, a 200 or 250! : )

Now I'm stateside and I still have my klr650 and I just bought the cb1100. I'll not sell the 650 because it let's me do the mountain forest service road, some off road, and any long distance I want. I just bought the cb1100...at 52 years, thought I'd try one more "large-ish cc" bike (for me). Love the look, and it remains to be seen if I'll like it as my "long distance" bike in the States.

So in the end, I think it's a question of attitude and what type of riding will you do mostly? If you rarely need get-up-and-go passing speed, why bother with weightier, larger cc bikes? Enjoy the economic, less weighty ___CC of your choice. Here's my visual list...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. I feel like I complain about the weight more than I rave about the power!

Lots of people on this thread are enjoying small cc bikes, but a good chunk of them also have a big bike in the garage too. That kinda makes small bike ownership easy I guess! My problem is I don't have the resources to run 2 bikes, so whatever bike I choose will need to do every duty I ask of it. Commuting isn't a problem and I'll happily just take my speed down a notch on big trips. It's just the opportunity cost that troubles me; if I get a 250, will I end up missing what I've got and complain about the power more than I enjoy the light weight? Human nature is a bitch.

EDIT: I'd really love it if they sold TU250's over here instead of the lame-looking new RV200. Pff.
  19. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The most fun bike to ride I ever had was a 1937 BSA M20. 500cc side valve, flat out about 50mph, happy to cruise at 45. Rigid rear, but the sprung saddle was very plush. Watching the tops of the girder forks bobble about as you rode along made up for the slow to change scenery.
    Actually, just riding the bike, playing with the air slide or adv/ret lever and the general level of engagement was half the satisfaction. Another bike I wish I still had.
    In slightly more real terms, I am finally trying to admit that a big heavy lump like a 1000cc guzzi is less fun than than it used to be - particularly when it comes to any pushing and manoeuvring.
    Although the guzzi is not fast by any modern standards, I still find I like going too fast too often and having been to naughty boy's class a couple of times, realise the luck is going to run out sometime.

I have been looking around for something "interesting" and am currently pondering the CBX500, I would like the Rally Raid stuff, but it then gets price wise, a lot more competition.
    Good luck with your quest.
  20. Kelvininin

Kelvininin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had an interesting series of motorcycles. I went from a Victory Vision "down" to a Super Tenere, now up? to a second gen FJR. After moving from the PNW back to the Midwest, I missed the touring capability of the Vision. I didn't really want another Vision having down the big cruiser touring bike thing, so I went sport tourer.