Anyone else had F800GS first ride pains?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by samuelp, Nov 25, 2008.

1. samuelp

samuelp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Chaps,

I've been riding around on an 800GS for a week now and I'm loving it - I'll post about my experiences in a bit. Anyway after the first day of riding I was shockingly sore and couldn't walk or sit down for a bit (much to the amusement of my girlfriend) I think it was my coccyx that was hurting but I'm not sure.

I had a big long ride the next day and set off slightly gingerly but didn't experience any sort of 'bum death' again and I haven't since even though I've been on much longer rides.

Is the strange painful first ride just a stage you have to go through on a 800 GS and now I've done it I'm safe? Has anyone else had this?
  2. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had no such issues, and rode the bike from San Diego to San Jose the first day I bought it. Perhaps all the dirt bike riding I do has me biased, but I find the F8 seat (regular height seat) to be quite comfortable. I have bar risers on order to make the transition from sitting to standing a bit easier, but I do that to all my bikes.
  3. RobTheRigger

RobTheRigger Killing threads here since 2008

Oddometer:
    I road race bicycles, so anything like a moto seat is cushy! I have the low seat and that cut-out seems to really help, too.

-Rob
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've only got 1800 miles on the bike, but that includes a couple of 500+ mile days. It's not a barcalounger, but I like the dirt-bike style seat because it allows me to shift my ass around when it gets sore. I haven't even bothered to mount the AirHawk I used to have on my Wee.

David
  5. lonerockz

lonerockz Permanent n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chaps, I'm only a prospective owner, but on one thread I read that your supposed to grip in with your knees to keep you back on the seat. This is supposedly a dirt bike rider thing. I always did a lot of my steering with my knees, so I look forward to seeing how it fits me. Of course I have short stumpy legs... so I don't think I'll have the same issues as you.
  6. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    just rode my bike for 40km today..
    i'm 55kg, 169cm tall. slim and short. :cry

but i do not face any riding pains on my arse so far today whilst riding. :lol3
  7. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Yes....you're feeling the big hole right where your wallet used to be:eek1

.....but you did actually spell coccyx correctly....shocking
  8. Dave92029

Dave92029 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OEM seat is terrible so I went to Cee Baily and got a new seat. The seat and wind shield let me ride my F650GS in comfort. :clap

Attached Files:

9. divingbiker

divingbiker True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave, How much was the seat. Did it change you seat height much. Is this your first Cee Bailey. Did you investigate others.

I have had my F800GS for about 3 weeks now. I love this bike. It has been everything I thought it would be. Mine is low seat height, (I'm 5'8") and I find that the seat is slightly uncomfortable after about 300 miles. I feel that it is due to the slant forward position of the low seat. I am going to go aftermarket but do not want to greatly increase seat height.

Just wondering about the Cee Bailey.
  10. Karel

Karel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 3000 miles on my bike. First I thought that the seat will break in, but it never happened and my ass was sore after about 2 hours riding, so I bought the BMW Rally seat and I love it. No more sliding forward and it's about 1.5 inch higher, so more room for my long legs. I am about 6.1. I guess that the Rally seat is not an option for a smaller riders.
  11. samuelp

samuelp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe the pain is due to riding posture? Nothing else has changed but I've not had it since.

Oh and slightly off topic but I've noticed that if I stand-up on the pegs I can see over the roof of a Black Cab which means the 800 GS is rather handy for riding around London.
  12. Dave92029

Dave92029 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no financial interest in Cee Bailey. I'm a satisfied customer.

I have a 30" inseam and I can flat foot the bike with the Cee Bailey saddle. The two parts of the saddle that make it comfortable IMHO are:
    a) the narrow neck ( portion of the saddle near the front of the bike). Corbin refers to this as a "Nose Job".
    b) broad area that supports your weight. The greater the surface area that supports your weight the less pressure and soreness that results.

The design of the Cee Bailey -see picture, satifies both of these needs. I'm not affiliated with Cee Bailey, but I have had numerous wind shields and have gotten to know the people and Company and have a great deal of respect for what they do. They have been doing aircraft seats for a long time and were originally asked by several local CHP- California Highway Patrol, officers to make them a saddle. These guys spend all day, every day in the saddle. Cee Bailey is now well know within the CHP community and I now understand why, they make a great saddle.

Cee Bailey uses the pan from your original saddle, so you will be without a seat while they are building your seat.

Their web site has pricing/ material choices and color choices listed plus the questionaire they use to understand your individual needs.

They are knowledgable riders that understand our needs.

PS my saddle has a built in electric heater :>)
  13. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not tall but I've experienced the same problem. The turtlebacked shape and the slope cause pressure on my tailbone. The seat is too soft and rounded. I was hurting after the first 40 miles. That's my only gripe.

I ordered a Corbin.
  14. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still on a long tour with mine. And a sore tailbone at the end of every day. But, out of the three new bikes I have owned in the last few years, this one definately has the most comfortable seat. I can see how the low seat could hurt even more. But I am now 57 years old and 30 lbs heavier than I was 30 years ago so I'll just take my lumps.
  15. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too.
  16. thelouv

thelouv ocd

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the first ride. BUT, that first ride was just a few blocks long behind BMW of N Dallas which is located in a business district with nothing but short blocks with stop signs @ each block. The start & stopping was killing my bum and wrists in just a short distance. Dejavu of my K1200S! The next day back home, I rode just about 100 miles & no serious discomfort. As all the rides since have been. I would be interested in trying another seat for added comfort but will not spend the $ right now to correct no real issues. From this forum I have found some other guys in my area who have altered the original and/or purchased another seat. I look forward to getting together with them in time to feel the differences.
  17. samuelp

samuelp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How strange. Maybe it just feels weird until you adopt the right posture? I'm trying to think of any other bikes that have this.