Anyone else less than thrilled with Gear Shift Assist Pro? (CLUNK!)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RSDA, Jun 9, 2020.

1. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    I'm finding the quickshifter to be really unpredictable on my 750GS.

I never know if I'm going to get a clean upshift. I often get a bit of a clunk—kind of the like the sound/sensation you get when selecting first gear from neutral at a stoplight. I've basically given up using it for anything lower than fourth gear, and even then, only when I'm really on the juice. I'm following the technique outlined in the manual.

Same with downshifts. Sometimes I'll get a nice clean auto-blip and downshift. But I often get the CLUNK, and sometimes it refuses to downshift at all.

I test-rode a new Tiger 900 the other day and the quick shifts were buttery-smooth in comparison (although not as quick a shift, I noticed).

Anyone else having better luck?
  2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I takes a while to "unlearn" normal shifting. I found that I was subconsciously easing off the throttle during both up and down shifts causing my own problems with the shifting.
  3. ML

ML n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, it took me awhile to figure out how to use the quickshifter on my -19 750GS

Upshifting - I use it from third gear and up and under acceleration. Works 2 -> 3 too but needs good acceleration and it clunks :-) Important - only touch the gear lever when shifting! I found I accidentally nudged the lever before I intended to shift and that messed up the electronics.

Downshifting - I found it important to fully ease off the throttle and not let the revs drop too much before downshifting. And foot off the gear lever between downshifts. But it works well to quite swiftly work down through the gears.

// ML
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Yes if you have your toe in contact with the lever anytime before the actual shift it will not operate correctly...
  5. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Most quick shifters enjoy working under a heavy acceleration and the top of the RPM bands.
  6. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    Yep, this is exactly what I do with both upshifts and downshifts. Still get unpredictable clunks, but maybe that's just the way it is.
  7. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    That's odd, I agree with the responses here mostly except for the fact that I don't use the quick shifter much on the road or at higher speeds or gears... I typically only use it between gears 1-2-3 while riding on dirt or gravel. I definitely don't use it at really high rpms. In my use it seems to work pretty well, along with the habits mentioned here about not messing up the shifter with other inputs.
  8. CJMCB

CJMCB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It does seem to get better as the bike gets more miles on it.
  9. Weaver63

Weaver63 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, It takes a while to get used to the quick shifter, I use it often in all gears, yes, biggest clunk is from 1st to 2nd.
    I found it works much better if you control the throttle input. Progressive smooth throttle application, makes a world of difference. Doesn’t have to be slow throttle, key is smooth. Any on/off throttle creates problems.
    Trickle007 likes this.
  10. hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    75,000 miles on my BMW, both me and the bike have gotten used to each other, and somehow we know exactly when GSAP is a good idea. With positive thoughts we can get all the way down to 1st gear. At other times (usually going from 1st to 2nd) we just know its not a good idea...
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    What model? 75k on GSAP is good news to hear. I have wondered if it will really last that long, or die early.
  12. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got 6000km on mine, the quick shifter is fine, but generally only use it for the top 3 gears on the road. Works great in the lower gears at low revs when riding on the gravel.

Lately I find it won't shift from 3-4 when using the clutch occassionaly, but quick shifter works all the time from 3-4???
  13. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was skeptical at first with it but now use it pretty much most of the time. You do get used to it and learn how it likes to be used.

And then I get on my GT without it and botch half my shifts until I relearn how to shift without it again. :doh
  14. Trickle007

Trickle007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I first got my bike I was like I have no need for shift assist pro, but after a few rides I love it. I rarely don't use it on upshifts and I find it very smooth as long as timed correctly. The TFT display does tell you when to shift up by displaying an arrow above the gear. As for down shifts I never use it.