Anyone ever ridden to Churchill Manitoba ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by XtreemLEE, Nov 18, 2001.

1. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about trying to road trip to Churchill Manitoba where the Beluga whales cavort in Hudson bay. I checked out a couple of map shops in Milwaukee and am not sure if there is a road going up there. Any one from here ever go or know anyone who did???
  2. XtreemLEE

Oddometer:
    In the summer the polar bears stay up nort and the Beluga whales play in the water, I want to go in summertime "if" there's a road. If there isn't a road I'll take my CL350.
  3. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    There's definitely a road to Thompson, Manitoba, but from what I've heard you have to take the train (or plane) from there. And the train is pretty crowded so you have to book far in advance. It's 550 km from Thompson to Churchill and the almost-daily train leaves at 17:30 and arrives at 07:30 (redeye).

[​IMG]

The best thing about this train is it's so crammed, there's no effective barrier between tourists and locals; half the time Inuit and Cree are sitting in your lap in the bar car, or vice-versa. So you actually get the rare privilege of talking to First Peoples, finding out what's what from the horse's mouth.

[​IMG]
  4. Kenny Jay

Kenny Jay Toughen up, Matey!

Oddometer:
    You can't ride all the way to Churchill, but you can ride most of the way, and catch the train for the last leg.

The first leg from Winnipeg to Thompson is a paved two laner. Its about 750 miles.

Second leg from Thompson to Gilam is gravel, and about 200 miles long.

From Gillam you can catch the VIA Rail, for the last leg to Churchill. You pick up the train around Midnight, and are in Churchill by 8 o'clock the next morning. The train is cheep (around 45 bucks,round trip, if you but your ticket in advance).

Just remember it can be a long way between towns, so you better be self-sufficient. ie. extra food, clothing, shelter, water purifier etc., and an extra gallon of gas can't hurt either.

Watch out for critters. A moose can stop a Buick.

JUST DO IT
    You won't be dissapointed,

Kenny Jay
    '95 R1100GS
  5. XtreemLEE

Oddometer:
    Kenny Jay have you done that?
  6. Kenny Jay

Kenny Jay Toughen up, Matey!

Oddometer:
    Two years ago, I went on a fly-in fishing trip out of Lynn Lake Manitoba. Instead of flying up to Lynn Lake, I decided to take the Beemer and meet my friends up there. Instead of going east out of Thompson, I went west to Lynn Lake (to the end of the road actually) about 350+ miles past Thompson. Mostly gravel, with a little bad paving thrown in. I had originally planned to do the Churchill thing afterwards the fishing, but something unexpected popped up, and I couldn't do it. But as you can see, I had looked into it. Just do a little surfing on the net, and you should be able to answer all of your questions. Although, I find some of my best trips were the ones that were mostly ill planned.

Kenny Jay
    '95 R1100GS
  7. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    And they are ill tempered beasts as well.
    Brown Bears sometimes hassle you and usually don't.
    But Moose... you can count on them being grouchy.
  8. XtreemLEE

Oddometer:
    Is there a road yet, any updates???
  9. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    As has been stated, there is no road access to Churchill, Manitoba.
  10. tferguson

tferguson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, Gillam is the end of the road, then rail up from there to Churchill. Only way past Gillam not by train or airplane are the ice roads to the East, out to Shamattawa & beyond. Here's a previous forum with some info.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/hudson-bay-question.1069201/
    You can get to the James Bay, near La Grande which is the base of Hudson Bay on the Quebec side.

For a really adventurous perspective of the trip up to Thompson and East, check out The Bwokentooth Project Part 1 & 2 on youtube.
  11. Mission1

Mission1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There might be one in 2029....:lol3
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Almost 15 years to update this post, another 15 yr update may be in order. :D

I doubt the population will grow much, and likely to diminish. May not see much improvement. Be a cool run to make though if one can stay on dirt roads..

13. RiverCitySlicker

RiverCitySlicker Completing The Worlds Longest Top End Kit Install

Oddometer:
    There are no plans to construct a road to churchill, its not even on the drawing table. Plain, Train or shipping container from europe/russia and thats it. You can take a canoe from winnipeg up the red river, into lake manitoba, through various other lakes and portages and get there, its about a 2 month trip if you paddle hard every day. Be wary of lake manitoba though, some nasty squalls and 10-15ft high waves when youre way out there on a big lake like that.
  14. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So are you going to go this time?
  16. XtreemLEE

Oddometer:
    Throttlemeister likes this.
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is there so much back and forth train traffic to Churchhill?

What's there?

A couple of weeks ago I discovered it wasn't ridiculously far and started looking into it a little, but just because I thought it would be cool to ride to Hudson Bay.
    Doesn't look doable. I guess the best one can do is the east side of James Bay.
  18. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trains run to Churchill to supply the northern communities with food and feul and to carry northerners back and forth. . There was a grain elevator business built in the port long ago with the dream of Churchill becoming a major grain export point of prairie wheat. The reality worked out differently , the grain kept moving by train mostly to ports on the west coast and the Great Lakes . The Churchill facility was sold to a USA company who had no interest in keeping it going and basically has shut it down this year .
    There is a steady but small flow of tourists to Churchill to see polar bears who live on the coast during summer . When freeze up comes they go back out onto the ice.