Anyone ever upgraded their Sena speakers?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by lacofdfireman, Aug 6, 2017.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wear a modular helmet and earplugs and it sure would be nice if I could get the Sena speakers to put out a little more power to be able to hear them clearer. I don't need crazy loud but I can't hear very well with the stock 20S speakers. I've tried a bunch of different ear buds etc but after a few hours my ears get sore and I have to pull them out. I tried the Er6i's and while they work incredible I couldn't wear them for more than a few hours. I've found that about the only thing that works is disposable ear plugs and the Sena speakers in the helmet. Just need more volume. Is there any options!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's not the speakers, it's the mp3s who are too low (assuming you lined up the speakers with your ear first).

open the mp3 in 'audacity' for instance (free software) and watch how low it is. I usually run the 'compressor' transform, but you might simply run the leveler or even the normalizer and it could be enough (then export audio of course to save it).

with intercom or radio or aux entry, I never had any volume problem.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. FlatFifthFury

FlatFifthFury Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I upgraded my Sena speakers to those from a Koss KSC75 headphone. They are a bit more sensitive than the stock Sena drivers but also have better sound. As DDDD said the signal may be weak and will need some boost from your device.
  4. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    I upgraded the speakers. I had an electronic shop cut the OEM speakers off and splice on a pair of Tork X Pro speakers. Frankly it was slightly better but not worth the hassle. The speaker position is far more important. I wear a Shoei. I took out the spacer and moved the speaker around a bit. It made a bigger difference than the different speakers. Note: Sena uses (or at least used) two types of speakers: regular and thin. Not sure what they call either style, and they may now just be using the thin ones. I looked into the specs and they seemed to be the same spec wise.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    The Uclear speakers are supposed to be louder/better than the Sena's.
  6. Pipe dreams

Pipe dreams Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used the drivers from a pair of sennheiser px200 headphones.
    Night and day difference!
    The standard Senna drivers were the worst.
    Edit
    Remembered they were px100 headphones
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. Kwhite415

Kwhite415 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unclear didn't work for me
  8. Travman

Travman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried the uclear speakers and volume was actually lower than with the stock Sena speakers. This was on an 10s model.
  9. MTKLRRIDER

MTKLRRIDER n00b

Oddometer:
    I changed them on my sena 10 with headphones that sounded amazing plugged into the phone. They had almost the same volume, but a little more bass with a neutral equalizer. Then I discovered that the sound is much louder when directed into my ear by the "muff" for the headphones. I spent some time getting the muffs to fit on the speakers in the helmet positioned around my ears. Three things happened. First no more wind noise anywhere. The muffs blocked all of it, so no more ear plugs. Next, the sound was so good and loud that I actually had to turn the volume down even on the highway.
    Last, my ears got so hot on long distance trips that I finally had to take the muffs out during a trip.:baldy So, now back to square one. hmmmm...
    dino702 and Suncoaster like this.
  10. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gave up on the Sena speakers. Went to modular body on the 10s and run earbuds. You can actually hear what people say and music as well.
  11. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Team-the Sena in helmet speakers at speed don't work very well. I'm an ear plug wearer-so this may be the culprit.

Problem is that with the foam earplugs the audio on the Sena is turned up all the way-distortion is horrid.

Have any of you tried those Bose Quiet Comfort 20 sound canceling earbuds? I'm thinking these things might lessen the wind noise while I'm on the 701.

Trying to kickstart this thread again.
  12. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just replaced the speakers on my Sena S20 Evo with a set of Iasus X-Sound 3's. I haven't ridden with them yet but they sound 100% better than what came with the Sena. I had to use some spacers to get them closer to my ears, as initially they had less volume than the Sena's. I'll probably take my first ride tomorrow morning and report back.
  13. RG1984

RG1984 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did they work out for you? I have the 20s and one of the speakers is blown now. constant distortion on the left side, just annoying.
  14. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    So far so good but I only ride a couple of times a month so they don’t see a ton of use. Still not getting the volume I’d like but probably better for my hearing that I can’t. Sound quality is much better though and I’d recommend the upgrade.

15. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    The plug doesn't seem compatible with the retaining clip. Their site wouldn't even list the compatible headsets (that is very lazy honestly, given there are so few). So, can you share a photo of the ways it assembles in a waterproof way...?
  16. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of pics. My installation is a little jacked up, and as you can see I wasn't able to get that plastic piping to seat back under the trim piece on the side of the helmet. I was thinking about getting a helmet with integrated comms but it seems like the systems are improving every year and it would be outdated long before it was time for a new helmet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dddd likes this.
  17. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the photos.
    It's rather sad that it won't fit in the regular socket. That above look definitely not waterproof (well, less than the sena might be anyway).
  18. skylerhager1

skylerhager1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Upgraded to the iAsus x3 i think. Got off amazon. Big improvement in sound quality and volume. What's most important is how they're mounted in your helmet - should be lightly touching your ears. was annoying and foreign feeling at first, but you get used to it and definitely worth the upgrade.
  19. RG1984

RG1984 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate being a pain in the balls with the super specific question, but I what helmet did you put them in? My Sena 20s speakers that I’m replacing don’t fit well in my Shoei RF1200. Too big in diameter.
  20. skylerhager1

skylerhager1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had them in an XL Fly Trekker, then just upgraded helmets to a size L Klim Krios Pro. Fit awesome in both.