Anyone experienced in importing a bike or bike frame from the USA?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mmmoto71, Jun 11, 2018.

1. mmmoto71

mmmoto71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Per the title, I have found a frame for an HP2 enduro in the USA. I have enough parts to build a "special" here in Australia. I do want to register it. Any and all advice appreciated.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  2. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooohh, a twin hl500. I'm in :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  3. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    I started to look into it through a mate in the USA. You have to get the frame certified by the coppers that its not stolen. Apparently they have to sight it.
    So I am told.
  4. motoxfox

motoxfox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure you've got the 'right' frame that corresponds with your motor. different engine / chassis mounting dimensions.
    i.e. the '05 (8/04) to '07 12gs motor / rear chassis is different to the '07 1/2 & onwards gs12.

I've got a mint freshly painted '08 GSA rear chassis, hanging in my shed ...as proof!

Ps for sale to a good home ...if anyone can use it...with full Aust compliance plate / rego'able ....pm me.
  5. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure you can register a frame after 1989. Only way is personal import I believe.
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

This sounds VERY painfull....and VERY expensive.
    The other way around would be a LOT easier (an OZ-legal frame/ imported bolt-on parts)
    Having done a few repairable write-offs in the past (still keeping tabs on things there)....and with a few mates in the trade, I doubt any of them would be game enough to take this on.

Wish you luck...and admire the "cojones"!
  7. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    A mate got a frame sent over from the states by post. Seller wrapped it and went to the local post office. It was for a 60's Aermacchi so would have been a bit smaller. Depends on which state you live in , just prove ownership and if it's stock factory it shouldn't be too hard.
    In NSW they import chopper frames from places like India and get them registered, engineers report and a compliance sticker is yours.
    Also if you could get copies of any previous paperwork it would help.
  8. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke with Vicroads a few months ago and they told me you can't register an imported frame here. Maybe your State has different laws.
  9. Roofchop

Roofchop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NSW QLD similar rules.
    Pre 1989 ok.
    Anything newer can't be done via normal authorities.....Unless you pay an engineer around $4000+ to have it complianced.
    My local engineer does NSW and QLD, he told me this just last year. (A-Z Imports Currumbin)
    So doable but expensive.
    Basically add $4000 to your frame price and start from there.....(or don't!)
  10. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    If that's the case get a second opinion as I've had wrong info over the phone from QLD transport before so maybe double check with another source.
    Or try getting it registered in another state first. Also try talking to a company that imports vehicles, they may shed some light.
    I have a 1999 bike imported from Japan that was registered in NSW by the importer and to get it registered in QLD all I had to do was produce NSW rego papers and a current road worthy certificate. And this happened without it having a compliance plate fitted.
  11. Roofchop

Oddometer:
    Might have got the 1989 bit wrong....I think it has to be 15years old or more!:hmmmmm
  12. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    So summarizing the options they are import a pre 89 bike or if after 1989 you must use a raws (?) workshop to certify the frame or bike?

Say you imported a newish road going bike with all the road bits - surely the engineers job would be minimal and thus the cost minimal?

Change the headlight lens and not much else assuming bike is roadworthy.
  13. Roofchop

Oddometer:
    I asked A-Z Imports about importing cheap (compared to here) newish Ducatis from USA, $4000+ to get them on the road.....
    Not worth it.
  14. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any detail as if they $4000 is all engineers or part?

At say $200 per hour that's 20 hours work.

Apart from change the headlights, what other mechanical work would they do?
  15. Roofchop

Oddometer:
  16. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think those numbers are about right, it's not so much as time spent altering the bike as a realistic guide to the neccessary paperwork and gst/bribes required. They changed the rules a few years ago, again, and are changing, again sometime next year. But is is restrictive, unless pre 89, or free for all pre 75ish. Or twelve months use, and ownership, less than 500km, new model...
    HP2 Road!

17. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah looks like full ADR testing is required.

Sooner ADRs are done away with and we adopt any US or EU standard the better. We are too small to be a standard setter on such silly matters as brake lines etc
    Richarde1605 and GodSilla like this.
  18. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Do dealers / importers have to pay this $4000 ?
  19. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree, the idea that spongy rubber hoses are better than stainless braided hose just because they comform to adr's.

Roofchop likes this.
  20. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Gavo - Afaik they get type/model certification.

For cars in volume this involves stuff like ancap testing etc.

Also once they import they are the certifier and only permitted certifier for the model. Given they brought the hp2 enduro in and sold it I understand that to get the frame certified you'd have to get it certified by bmw locally. Therefore I'd approach bmw about it.

My knowledge may be dated...