Anyone experienced in importing a bike or bike frame from the USA?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mmmoto71, Jun 11, 2018.

1. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

If they want to "legalize" the vehicle (making it legally registerable ) ... yes.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  2. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I very much doubt BMW Australia will certify a US frame. IN fact I doubt whether any official local importer would officially certify any used imported frame - mainly for marketing and liability reasons. IMW
    glitch_oz likes this.
  3. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:

Honda for example outsourced the certification of CRFs to a local Melb company - they were not done in Japan. There was a marked difference between the Aust certified CRFs and the old Japanese certified Xrs etc - the general quality of CRF wiring is appalling. I heard that it added $900 to the cost of the bike but it's hard to see why. The fittings were terrible on the CRfs
    Roofchop likes this.
  4. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    It doesn't add up How could the dealer I bought my Ducati from in Sydney, buy it in Japan, import it into Australia, pay $4000 for certification, register it in NSW then deliver it to my place in QLD all for $5300.?
    It don't add up, he would be out of business in a month.
    There is something wrong here and I won't point fingers BUT misinformation is present.
    glitch_oz and Mouse like this.
  5. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    stolen?
  6. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    glitch_oz likes this.
  7. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    And there's a whole bunch of ducatis listed under the raws scheme iirc.
  8. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously the $4k include the profit for the one who does the running around and paper-war.
    My mate charges $3k for compliancing individual imports (bikes only, no frames!) , and that includes his wages+ profit.
    Parts and work needed for the job are extra (i.e. different headlights/ lenses/ indicators) as is trim-down of bling to revert to stock etc.
    He usually presents the bike "as is" (with the most glaring bits fixed) to the (VicRoads-registered!) engineering mob to get a "fault list" to work by. The follow-up inspection is cheaper but at least a given result, as all and any issues are solved before passing....but it's part of the cost, of course.
    Richarde1605 and XRHondafan like this.
  9. Roofchop

Roofchop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the rules change if the bike is over 15 years old.
    There is another rule, for pre 1989, blah blah, too many rules!
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Specifically which model ducati?
    Every case is different, but there has to be a profit for the doer. Sure it can be cheaper but without knowing specific details, well...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  11. BisonR1150

BisonR1150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The grey import scheme is a different kettle of fish . There are listed models already allowed and usually from Japan . The gov are cutting the grey import rules back as well.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  12. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    1999 Ducati monster cromo. apparently reasonably rare.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. mmmoto71

mmmoto71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, here is the official answer from Infrastructure (fedgov)

Response to my query:

We can only issue an import approval to vehicles deemed complete. If deemed incomplete, no import approval is required.
    Please see below what is deemed an incomplete vehicle and would not require import approval.
    Incomplete Vehicles
    As a guide, any of the following incomplete road vehicles would not generally require a Vehicle Import Approval:
    • Passenger motor vehicles without engines, gearboxes, wheels and axles.
    • Light and medium road vehicle for the transport of goods of gross vehicle mass (GVM) less than 12 tonnes without engines, gearboxes, wheels.
    • Heavy road vehicles for the transport of goods of GVM greater than 12 tonnes without engines and gearboxes.
    • Trailers without axles, mechanical connections, suspension and brakes.
    • Buses without engines, gearboxes, wheels and axles.
    • Road motor cycles without front forks, steering components and wheels.
    If what you wish to import is deemed as parts then no import approval is required,
    If deemed as a vehicle, then yes import approval is required and you would have to qualify under one of our Import options.
    No import approval is required for a frame alone, however please note that if the frame has a VIN/Chassis No. on it, then once arrived in Australia (without an import approval) that VIN/Chassis No. can never be used.) We cannot issue an import approval for a frame alone.

I also asked a RAWS workshop, who said there fee wouldn't vary regardless of it being a bike, or a frame, but they did say they would let me sort freight myself. So even if I could get approval for the frame, which I cant, it would be $2500 on top of frame cost, and freight. Doesn't make it economically viable. The HP2 is rare, but not that rare.

Thanks for your comments anyway.
    Mouse and XRHondafan like this.
  14. bigbrad

bigbrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So do you have a frame at all here even if in bad shape but not written off. If so then not all hope is lost. If not then good luck with it.
  15. mmmoto71

mmmoto71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You forgot the little winky ;)
    Big Willy likes this.
  17. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Get an old frame with Aussie rego history, pretty much any frame then go get a custom frame made using the portion of the original frame with the VIN on it. This has been done MANY times in the HD world. In n way am I suggesting its completely legal, something you need to decide for yourself.
    mmmoto71 likes this.
  18. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    When I lived in WA I bought a verlicchi frame for a 650 Alazzura donor bike. i went into the transport dept there and told them what I wanted to do and they assigned me a frame number. I ended up not completing the bike while in WA but got in rego'd in QLD with the Alazzura frame number stamped on it. Qld transport didn't even have Cagiva Alazzura's on record. Maybe not strictly kosher but i got it on the road. I sold it years later and it ended up a racebike.
  19. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A mate has Fatso, an old xs650. Rego in vic was no problem, nsw balked at the 'police numbers' happily still going strong in qld. Old bikes generally mean join a club, then ride them :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  20. motoxfox

motoxfox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OF course the facts are, that in relation to a GS12/HP2 that the preceding 30 or so posts, whilst in theory may or may not be factual, that it is all really meaning less and doesn't come into it.
    AS a GS has its compliance plate 'attached' to a fixed plate on the rear subframe. FullStop. No other identification is carried on the rear subframe to cross check or verify that. And no further ID is required once that is satisfied.
    Anyone who knows what they're talking about needs no further explanation.

*If interested see my earlier post.