Anyone familiar with area near Waco, TX?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by safetywire, Sep 22, 2005.

1. safetywire

safetywire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone familiar with the are near Waco, TX?

Trying to find out if a wide spot in the road called Headsville, TX, (east of Waco) has any signage. A welcome sign, green highway sign, anything.

So far most maps don't have it listed, paper or online.

Thanks!
  2. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    For better resuls, try the regional forums. Otherwise you're likely to get some "colorful" responses here in the basement.

And I'm not above reproach.
  3. das Rider

das Rider Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer:
    Headsville,TX shows up in Microsoft Streets & Trips. It is on Highway 7 between Kosse and Marquez. If you need a map, I'll send it to you. I have no idea about signs.
  4. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    I'd offer to go take a picture, but the traffic sucks right now and there is a gas shortage. :bluduh
  5. gentry

gentry For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer:
    If I vaguely recall there is a sign. Its been some years since I rolled through there though.

Yeah, near Kosse I 'bleeve.
  6. gentry

gentry For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer:
    Go east to Groesbeck and then south to Kosse. Or you could head south towards Temple and cut across east to Marlin and then Kosse. It should be right past Kosse.
  7. Waco

Oddometer:
    Just avoid Hwy. 6 and the folks leaving Houston.
  8. safetywire

Oddometer:
    OK thanks for the reply, Waco Kid, Gentry, Das, Grin.

I may ride down next weekend for a look. It's about 650 miles each way though, and I was optimistic to be able to verify signage before departing. But it sounds like a good lead. Alas, no verify so maybe a ride down. If anyone goes for a ride and is in the area, I'd appreciate a quick look for signage!
  9. Waco

Oddometer:
    I'll ride over there tomorrow and check it out.
  10. Waco

Oddometer:
    I didn't find a sign for the town but it was fun looking! The roads weren't very twisty, but at least I got to lean into the wind! I rode around exploring the dirt roads in the area until I stopped at the Ebenezer Baptist Church and Cemetary. Headsville and Head's Prairie are listed as the communities served by the Ebenezer Church on a historical marker. It doesn't say where the name "Ebenezer" came from. A friendly man in a red Ford pickup pulled up who takes care of mowing the cemetary. I asked where Headsville was and if there was sign. He said no. The last business in Headsville had closed about 50 years ago. The stones from the Headsville Cemetary had been moved to the Ebenezer Cemetary. Not the bodies, just the stones. Does the word "poltergeist" mean anything to you? :huh He showed me stones from people named Head that had been moved there. There was one, James Alfred Head, who was actually buried there next to his parents. He had served in the Confederate Army. Civil War history was the hobby of the man in the truck. I took several pictures, but I don't have an account for posting pictures at the moment. I could email them to you.
  11. safetywire

Oddometer:
    Waco Kid,

Thanks for going out there and looking for a sign. Appreciate the road work. Also saves me a trip looking for something that isn't even there! Glad you had a good ride. If we ever mirl I'll buy the beer and bbq!