1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a 950 Adventure front wheel to sell?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by fadingfastsd, May 1, 2019.

1. fadingfastsd

fadingfastsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm really sick of trying to fix an out of round front rim on my 2004 Adventure 950. Even after rebuilding my forks, new front tire/tube, and having the front wheel trued twice, this bike is like riding a pogo stick.

Does anyone have a good front wheel for sale? I don't care about dings or scratches, but want to know it rolls perfectly smooth.

Can paypal $ right away, happy to pay shipping. Let me know what you have and how much.

I'm located in Fort Collins, CO 80525.

Thanks!!!
  2. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. fadingfastsd

Oddometer:
    Wow that is a good price for the rim. However I'd really like to just get a complete wheel, already laced with a hub, rather than build my own. Thanks for the heads up though!
  4. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for being a bit off topic, but what tires are you running?
  5. fadingfastsd

Oddometer:
    I originally had a Pirelli Scorpion MT90 when I bought it. It was worn below 50%, and I thought it was causing the wheel problem I was having. I replaced it with a new Shinko 804, which I've run on KLR's and liked. It did not solve the problem.
  6. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting.. I honestly don't think it is going to be the rim. Mine was dented to square and still ran fine.
  7. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what is your damping set at? do a drive way bounce test are the forks springing back up quickly and pogoing or in a nice controlled manner and come to rest in one movement? same for the shock
  8. fadingfastsd

Oddometer:
    Any other ideas what could be causing it? I can't see any runout in the rim when I spin it in the air, but the bike rides like the front wheel is an oval.

I don't recall exactly, I set it after rebuilding the forks with new seals, sliders, etc. I did bounce test it in the garage aftwards and it seemed about right. The suspension feels great. I will doublecheck it again though, thanks for the idea.

Could wheel bearings cause this somehow? Wheel spins fine when I have it in the air, I don't notice anything pointing to bad bearings, but maybe an issue when there is weight on them?
  9. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't your chain too tight or worn?
  10. fadingfastsd

Oddometer:
    Sorry how would that affect the front end?
  11. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the chain would have wore unevenly (which they usually do), and/or would be too tight it might apply some braking force on the bike, and that might feel like an oval front wheel. But I think I don't understand what's happening exactly with your ride (the symptoms).
  12. fadingfastsd

Oddometer:
    Oh I see what you mean. The chain is fine on the bike, that does not seem to be related to the problem. The front end of the bike rises and falls like if the front wheel was oval shaped. It results in a pogo stick feel in the bars. It is the worst about 30-40mph, but noticeable lower. Over 40mph it's not too noticeable. I've been living with it, the bike is definitely rideable. It is just really annoying.
  13. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take the wheel off and do a static balance (google it, can be done at home with simple tools) make sure the tire is not unbalanced. A broken bead or carcass can also cause problems. I would start by checking balance, then strip the tire and check the rim for balance then check the tire for damage.
    HeatXfer likes this.
  14. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    You could look for someone near you with a compatible wheel and ask to try it to diagnose.....
  15. fadingfastsd

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Already done that twice. The wheel balances fine. Brand new tire as well, problem existed with previous tire. I may just take it all apart again to be safe though.
  16. fadingfastsd

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea. I'll look around my area to see if I can borrow one!
    Peltsi likes this.
  17. -clinton-

-clinton- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's easy to check and see if your rim is out of round on the bike, jack the front wheel and put a zip tie on the fork and point the "tab" at the rim, where the rim and tire meet. Spin the wheel and make sure it doesnt vary to much. I had the same pogo on my VFR once turns out the preload was not set right. If you can find the owners manual and set your fork to the factory spec, you might be surprised. When I had the problem it was even worse when the shock was set firm. If you just rebuilt everything it might be that its not set right.
  18. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe check rear wheel also.

Had a friend that was sure he had play in the steering bearings turn out to be loose spokes on the rear wheel.

/Johan
  19. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has the front been properly sprung yet?