anyone have any time off road on a conti TA2?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by KiwiKurt, Jan 5, 2015.

1. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    looking for a 85/15 tire for my MTS....otherwise i might have to knob it up with the tkc 80
  2. none

none Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put those on my Bonneville. Road traction seemed on par with Sport Demons wet or dry and I had no chickin strips but easily more than twice the wear. (i'd get 3-3.5k out of the Pirellis)

My off road excursions were limited to gravel roads and a few forest roads, stream crossings etc... nothing too extreme. I never had a fault with the tires, mostly when it got tough I was worried about the ground clearance to engine!
    They did allow me to pick lines through the worst of my mild excursions and return to tarmac unscathed.
    A more capable bike may find limitations I did not.
  3. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply.

That's about the extent of traction Im looking for. Any more serious and I'd jsut go with a tkc80.
  4. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put them on my CB500X, hoping to make it into a bit more of a dual sport. I quickly found their limits on a leaf covered, closed road....
    I soon after ordered TKC80/Mitas 07 combo for the bike. You can call a tire whatever you want. I've had Anakee 3 (another long wearing option) Battlewings and Trailmax tires on my Vstrom and while they help the confidence level on dirt roads, they're not going to hook up on any kind of soft terrain. Despite the on/off road designation manufacturers give them, look at the tread and judge for yourself. If you don't want to go to a full block design, I think Anakee 3's are more dirt firiendly than Trail Attack 2's. They will hum some, though.
  5. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless you plan on doing soft terrain/sand, try the TAs first. Standard equipment on the 1190s and they work pretty well on it. I've run similar dirt road loops on my TA-equipped 1190 and SE with 50-50 tires, and the traction control sort of makes them comparable. Probably will be similar with the MTS. There are other good tire choices you can try before going to knobbies.