Anyone have experience with KTM COOL COVER? (3d mesh cover)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by ADVraider, Nov 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ADVraider

ADVraider Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Capo Rick

Capo Rick Please understand... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes! Best comfort addition you can make, aside from a PowerParts seat. You can actually feel the cooling action. Equate it to the old time seat beads without the goofy look.
    KTM 1190advR and ADVraider like this.
  3. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do cows moo?

I've ridden 50k miles over the last five years with one of these covers, although I would never pay KTM prices for one. I order mine from eBay or Aliexpress for a few bucks and then trim them to fit, then staple to the underside of the seat pan.

As for effectiveness, before I discovered these airflow covers, I had tried anti monkey butt powder, Arm and Hammer spray powder, Alaskan Leather sheepskin, LD Comfort motorcycle underwear, and a couple other hopeful remedies that I won't mention, all in an effort to stave off or eliminate the chafing and irritation I suffer from when sitting on a vinyl seat for more than an hour.

None of those worked for me. A beaded seat cover is the only thing that I tried that was actually effective. But I'm not fond of the look. So this airflow cover became the Holy Grail and completely eliminates any skin rash/irritation no matter how long I sit on the bike, and regardless of how hot the ambient temps are. I will not ride a motorcycle without one.
  4. ADVraider

ADVraider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh wow, didnt expect to hear it will be that effective! Is it only from the "cooling" aspect or it actually ads comfort to the seat? The OEM bench ergonomics are seem to be specifically designed for torture..
    Capo Rick and spova like this.
  5. ADVraider

ADVraider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Phenomenal, I'm convinced...I think ill go the Aliexpress way as well.

Found this one for a decent price:

upload_2020-11-19_8-31-44.png
    upload_2020-11-19_8-32-0.png
  6. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you keep these on in winter? Do they make the seat more comfortable outside of added airflow?
    ADVraider likes this.
  7. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can only add to the positives, had mine on for 20k miles now, got it for the cooling, but Im convinced it adds comfort too and no wet bum.
    I keep mine on all year now
    ls6777 and ADVraider like this.
  8. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    This is the one currently on my 1290, although I trimmed it for the SA-T separate rider/passenger seat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MZM3QPD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The dimensions are important, especially when you're going to fit it over the one piece seat, so you'll want to double check those.
    jmelaw and ADVraider like this.
  9. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    Agree with @Saltboxlad mine stays on all year round. They add a slight cushioning effect, which may or may not actually translate to more comfort...YMMV. In cold weather, you will get chilly or cold air flowing under your bum, which is less than ideal, but it is the price for airflow and I am happy to pay it.
  10. ADVraider

ADVraider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Is the Amazon one you shared long enough to fit a bench/one piece seat?

I'm leaning with the Aliexpress one since a KTM 1x90 is specifically pictured, however, I suspect that its just a generic unit that otherwise sells for a few bucks elsewhere...
  11. RTwo

RTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Tiger993

Oddometer:
    Not sure about length fitting your seat. I think it would, but no way to confirm. The Aliexpress one may be a better option for fit.
    ADVraider likes this.
  13. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    You'll look around for the little fans blowing on your privates. :imaposer
    jmelaw, ADVraider and Tiger993 like this.
  14. mwzl

mwzl mwzl

Oddometer:
    I removed mine when the temperature dropped.
    spova likes this.
  15. Bart20170

Bart20170 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have one on my SAT, it's amazing. Keeps your ass dry in all conditions and a lot cooler...
    ADVraider likes this.
  16. Cyberon

Cyberon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of buying this but I have the two pieces ergo seats, anyone managed to find something that works?
    ADVraider likes this.
  17. GarySN

GarySN Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. jmelaw

jmelaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another thumbs up for the mesh. I have stock 2 piece seat on my 1190. After roasting my chestnuts for 3 years during PA summers (and I installed the frame side "scoops" a couple years ago-helped a little), I started reading about seat "solutions". Bought a "scooter seat" mesh cover with elastic (long oval like above) for about $10-$13 via Amazon (seems crazy to pay more) and went at it with scissors to cover rider's seat back in September. For the cost, I figured what the hell--cut the elastic straps off and did some half-ass 1/4" stapling to secure it. Ahhh, the breezes! Seriously, even riding now in 40-50 degree temps with winter riding pants, I can feel the cooling on the chestnuts. In fact, if it wasn't such a PITA to staple on/off, I would take it off for the winter. I'm anticipating it will help come July. Give it a shot!
    ADVraider likes this.
  19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ADVraider likes this.
  20. ADVraider

ADVraider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent price! Too bad they dont sell it here across the pond.