Anyone have surf fishing advice Clearwater FL area?

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by SR1, Oct 2, 2019.

1. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    We're heading down to Clearwater for a family trip this weekend, I want to get some fishing in. Since I don't want to fly with a big rod, I'll run by Walmart and get a surf fishing rod and reel (2), some beach rod holders, rigs, bait, and go.

Would like to be on an actual BEACH rather than a sandbar or seawall, as I could be closer to my family enjoying the waves. Also, would like to CATCH fish. ;)

So, any advice on this would be appreciated.. such as:
    Length of rod (9'?)
    line weight (12lb?)
    lures or bait? (which lures, or, triangle weight, rig (what kind) and cut or live bait?

Finally, where? I hear it's not legal on Clearwater beach proper, but I'll have a rental car, I'd like to load us all up and have a beach day, me fishing, them playing.

Looking forward to your advice!!!!
  2. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Make it as simple as possible. 7-8 ft rod, big shiny lures, 12 lb test. Cast that fucker out as far as you can, then reel it in. Walk along the beach as you do it. If you catch something, great. If you don't, so what? You got to walk along the beach for an hour or two.
    TwoBigCats and Off the grid like this.
  3. Off the grid

Off the grid Morally flexible Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would get a few bucktails and pencil poppers as well as tins like @Jim Moore suggested.
    Also, maybe check local CL for a decent rod or reel.
    Good luck and have fun! Post pics!
  4. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Well, I was KINDA also hoping to have an el-cheapo chair and a cooler full of beer... so, I gotta have a semi permanent location for that... hahahah!
    Buzztail and rokon140 like this.
  5. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    pm JackDaniels if he is still around
    SR1 likes this.
  6. robert110411

robert110411 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clearwater Beach itself is always pretty busy. The beaches to the north and south might be better.

You used to be able to fish off of the pier at Clearwater. Not sure you still can.

It's been a minute since I've been there but just to the South of Clearwater, Indian Rocks Beach was always one of the more surf fishing friendly beach towns.

Google Surf Fishing Indian Rocks Beach will probably help.

You can fish off the Courtney Campbell Causeway. It used to be the most fun at night.

When they say "Don't burn the Mangroves" they mean it. The fumes are poisonous.

Not far from Clearwater you'll find Oldsmar. It's on a peninsula that sticks out in the back of Tampa Bay. Used to be powerplant out on the tip. There are a few parks out there that offer peaceful back Bay type fishing.

There are used to be about 1001 small tackle shops in Indian Rocks that can point you in the right direction
    Buzztail, SR1 and Off the grid like this.
  7. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    So, follow-up:

Clearwater, Sand Cay, and the region doesn't really seem to have a lot of large fish running in October. We used some Sabikis and caught several legal Spanish Mackeral and smaller bait fish. I put on some bait fish and never caught a thing. Wound up purely fishing with sabikis the whole time for the best sucess, off the piers. Surf fishing was not really so good since the beaches don't really drop off much. If we go next year, I will scope some other beaches to try out.