Anyone interested in a 2019 tour of Eastern Europe / The Balkans

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by selecw, Aug 15, 2018.

1. selecw

selecw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a 2-3 month ride kicking off May 23rd in Prague, and touring Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

I'm thinking of doing a mix of AirBnBs and camping.

I'll probably be shipping my bike over from the US, although buying a bike in the UK is also a possibility.

Let me know if you're interested in all of part of the trip, or have any useful hints and tips.

Thanks
    dooby and TheBritAbroad like this.
  2. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lnterested, seriously.
    we can pm from here on because l'm not sharing any personal details on a public forum.
    dooby likes this.
  3. ifthis

ifthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    airbnb for the city centers. A lot have city campgrounds. And many hostles offer tent space in the centers as well. Camping is cheap and easy most places. They charge per tent per person and vihicle. 13$ for a camp for 2 and bike or 20 for nice hotel in Romania. Wild camping is allowed in most of your planed countries. Bying a bike in irland is easy. Or i just got a quote of 400$ shipping from atlanta to Lithonia. Lobagola for insurance. Health insurance is requied for belarouse. 400$ for 2 peaple to cover all the countries we went threw.
    selecw, dooby and TheBritAbroad like this.
  4. Mexicano

Mexicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about doing a trip similar to yours . I have a bike from the US in Barcelona right now . I am riding in Mexico and California right now . but will be going back to Barcelona as son as the weather permits . if you are not going to be going off read I think we can manage to ride along .. I am open the all summer to do this ride. and I was also thinking Eastern Europe .. I have done most of Europe but not the east pare .. I did past trougth a couple of those countries Prague .
    selecw likes this.
  5. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Enjoy!! I have ridden the Balkan countries, Ukraine, Greece, and Turkey as well. Accommodations I usually find via booking.com. Sometimes Airbnb. Free Wifi at Lukoil gas stations, OMV and others as well. I use it to find accomodations for the night. I have camped a number of times as well. Fuel is expensive compared to the US, so I'd plan less miles/kms and more sightseeing.

I will definitely be in Bulgaria this season, I just don't know when exactly. There is a very good mechanic in Varna, Bulgaria should you need some work done.
    selecw likes this.
  6. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Cal and selecw like this.
  7. Mexicano

Mexicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well .. keep in touch . I will be riding similar rout as you.. .. I would like to know when exacly are you leaving and were we may be able to met . I am down for camping or hostal .. and to keep things reasanoble and not ride long days . like you say planing to see some historical sites and views would work
  8. Mexicano

Mexicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sounds good.. let¨s do that
  9. Mexicano

Mexicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sounds great
  10. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Please post up as the planning and ride take place.
  11. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash

Oddometer:
    I've ridden all those countries in the past couple years, except Belarus. Hit me up if there's anything I can help with.
  12. Mexicano

Mexicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do
    Man .. I think what you mean is to post as the planing of the ride goes on .?
    Right now it seams like we have not pen down any thing as of now .. we are all working to get our schedules .
    I do not know that match about all of this.. I been riding a lot of coutries but never been on this or any sites looking for a rider .. so be pations
  13. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola.com Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ifthis provided a great sum up how, where and what are the costs.

If you need any support for this trip let us know as we can provide third party liability coverage as well as bike purchase in Croatia.

cheers
    dooby
  14. Mexicano

Mexicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does your insurance cover the bike and the rider or just liability ?
    what is the monthly cost ?
  15. Mexicano

Mexicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I reply to this .. did you get it ?
  16. Mexicano

Mexicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need all the help I can get to plan and ride all those countries.. I have been riding by the sit of my pants.. lot of times I dont plan .. I just get on my bike and ride.. but I think that is getting old.. this is why this is the first time that I am getting into a site like this and try to plan something out..
    I would like to have an other rider or two that can ride along . this them motorcycle tours charge to much. I think we can do it our selfs . so If anyone can help ..it would be great.
  17. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola.com Supporter

Oddometer:
    We don’t offer comprehensive as demand is very low hence the prices are too high. On the other hand since you will venture outside EU be aware that Axa’s comprehensive insurance (which is what Tour insure and Stefan are re-seling) wont be valid outside EU.

Price list is on our website:

http://www.lobagola.com/assets/uplo...ce-pricelist-fees-shipping-2018-05-11-EMS.pdf

Let me know if you need other help with your journey, you can PM me.

Kind regards
    Dooby
  18. beebeer54

beebeer54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you checked entery requirments for Belarus? I have a UK passport and when I visited Belarus a few years ago I needed a LOI (letter of introduction) to get a visa before entering.
  19. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash

Oddometer:
    Same for USA. When I was digging into it, it seemed like a simple matter of paying a few $$$ for a LOI, so not too big of a hurdle to overcome :)
  20. selecw

selecw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The trip is getting closer. I fly out from Vancouver to Manchester on May 2. Here is when I will be in major cities. I have Air BnBs in most if any wants to pair up and share the cost:

Scotland May 3-8
    England May 8-18
    Paris May 18-22
    Prague May 23-28
    Budapest May 28-Jun 2
    Split Jun 2-4

Touring the Balkans in Jun - Bosnia, Albania, Macedonia, Serbia

Lviv, Ukraine Jun 25-28
    Kiev Jun 28-Jul 2
    Bucharest Jul 4-8
    Sofia Jul 9-13
    Istanbul Jul 15-21
    Into the rest of Turkey Jul 21st to ....