Anyone interested in Copper Canyon in April

Discussion in 'Americas' started by duggram, Mar 23, 2021.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm retired with noting to do in April. I can go in my Jeep or on my 701. Would like to motel/hotel it, but can certainly camp if that works too.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    There's a couple Copper Canyons, which one are you wanting to do?
  3. duggram

Oddometer:
    The one in Chihuahua. The road that ends in Batopilas. What other one is there?
    lane01 likes this.
  4. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I believe there's a copper canyon in Utah and one in AZ. But I'm thinking that the AZ is probably the same as you are talking about. But not sure. Mexico right?
  5. duggram

Oddometer:
    The only one I know of is in Mexico. Straight down from Palomas.
    cyclopathic and Snake Oiler like this.
  6. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I see you live in T or C, so you are used to hot weather, but keep in mind that the bottom of the canyon is significantly warmer than Creel or what you see in southern NM in April. I think temps start going into the 90's in April. May not be a big deal in the Jeep, but I'd go sooner rather than later if you want to ride.

Gustavo
    princess jamaica likes this.
  7. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I'm staying in country at this point in time. I know it's not a big deal but things just aren't right anywhere
    duggram likes this.
  8. duggram

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the advice. I checked the average temp in the area for April and I saw it was 90's.
  9. MufflerBearings

MufflerBearings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to ride Copper Canyon April 9-17. So far I'm going solo, but I'd really prefer to have a riding partner for this trip. I'm leaving Palm Springs on April 9, probably crossing at Lukeville/Sonoyta, down through Rio Sonora to Yecora/Creel/Batopilas. It will be all paved for me, as I'm riding a Yamaha FJ-09. I'd love to ride some of the dirt roads in the area on my XR650, but I'm not too jazzed about all the pavement I'd need to ride just to get my knobbies to that dirt. Canyon temps in the 90's don't concern me - it's not uncommon to see a consistent 118 degrees here in Palm Springs mid-summer.
    Dan Diego and duggram like this.
  10. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    So many rides so little time. Think ill save that until I have time for a Yucatan trip.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one from Creel? or from Urique side?
  12. duggram

Oddometer:
    Isn't it possible to take them both in a loop?
  13. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Yes, but it's only paved from the road between Creel and Guachochi down to Batopilas. The other side of this loop is not paved (more relevant for @muflerbearings, as he mentioned he was riding a street bike) .

Gustavo
  14. texaspatrick

texaspatrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a few guys heading down there in April. Have you checked on www.twtex.com yet? Pretty sure they have a thread going in the trip planning/upcoming ride section
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on you and what bike you are on. I have turned after a couple of miles. There are also a few river xings which could be high and unpassable.

I wouldn't recommend doing it solo on big bike, the guy who tried it on AT turned back after dropping bike 21 times.. at least this is the story I was told.

Also it is cartel county; army may go to bata but not urique.
    duggram likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was paved a few km past Cerocahui when we were there in 2018. Very good asphalt except when you come into villages; hoot to ride sweepers. There's also a nice BDR style road along the river between Cerocahui and Pasada Barrancas I would definitely recommend that.
  17. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    @cyclopathic you mean coming from the top side, the road that runs along the ridge from Creel to Divisadero and on to Cerocahui? Yeah, that's not the problem on a street bike, I was referring to the section goes down into Urique and then Batopilas that wasn't paved or good for a street bike (or a large ADV-tourer if you ride solo and aren't very experienced).

Gustavo
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The asphalt ends half way btw canyon descend and Cerocahui. The descend down to Urique 9.5mi/6000', ABS on my V-strom gave me trouble had to turn it off. Tourist buses and cars make it down so it is doable on street bike if conditions are good. From Urique on it's DR territory.. miners make it on Sierras you just have to deal with rock slides and water x-ings.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have fun, our trip down there was the most fun I have ever had on a bike.

If you are going to take the more remote dirt routes, make sure your gearing on your bike is ok for 10-15mph. We were on WR250s and the corners would be 1st, and if we were lucky, we would hit 3rd before the next corner. For hours on end.
    cyclopathic, duggram and Snake Oiler like this.
  20. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I'd go with you Doug, but I doubt I'd have my paperwork in order yet as I haven't picked up the bike yet and won't for a couple weeks :D

Last time down to Batopilas it was still unpaved all the way from the turnoff near the Pemex to Bato and beyond...sort of took the fun out of that part once they did that. I would however, like to ride up to Urique from Batopilas, time wasn't on our side last time and we had to bust a move back (work).
    It will be toasty in April :nod
    duggram likes this.