Anyone know Tyler Risk?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by exwingnut, Jun 27, 2009.

1. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:
    A very well known SF Bay Area rider, Tyler Risk, has been seriously injured during a ride to Wyoming.

About 150 miles out of Boise, ID, Tyler was passing a big rig only to have it turn left in front of her. She was struck by, and run over by, the rear wheels of the trailer and is now in serious but stable condition in a Boise hospital. She sustained a broken pelvis, bad road rash, and some other internal injuries.

There is further info at the South Bay Riders Forum http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Prayers and good thoughts would be appreciated.

Be careful out there, they just do not see us.

Steve
  2. Katui

Katui Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best of luck to her in her recovery.
  3. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    this is what I read on the forum:

"Here is what happened. She was leading a small group of riders when they came to a three way stop. A semi truck was in front of her and didn't move for a minute. So Tyler started to pass the truck on the right using the shoulder. Right at that moment the truck started to make the turn and from eye witness accounts it appears Tyler did not see the truck moving and got ran over. Tyler was knocked down and was trapped under her FZ-1 as the truck tires ran over her pelvis and legs."

Be careful around the big rigs...watch the "no zone" and keep in mind they tend to turn wide. I'm surprised she survived...jeebus, that's incredible.

Best wishes for a complete recovery, Tyler.
  4. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope everything turns out ok. There isn't a lot of margin for error when it comes to bike vs big rig.
  5. live2offroad

live2offroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I met Tyler a few years ago on a SBR ride.. She is a dedicated rider and a hell of a lady. My thoughts are with her and her family and close friends as she makes her way through this..

-Peter
  6. kluoto

kluoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Healing thoughts Tyler's way.......and hopefully we all learn from this. I know I have!!
  7. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:
    Nearly the exact same thing happened to my brother in 1974. The only difference was he was ran over by a loaded dump truck. Same as her, he took both axles (four tires) across his leg, pelvis and torso... 8 weeks in the ICU, pronounced clinically dead twice, 14 pins in his hip and several months in a wheelchair...... He still has some problems, but it goes to show that even something that bad can be survived. I don't know the gal, but I know what she's facing and wish her all the luck in the world!

8. MotoWriter

MotoWriter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to correct the record here... it was NOT a right-lane or right-shoulder maneuver that resulted in this incident. Here's what one of the folks riding with Tyler last week posted about the accident, on Tyler's own forum (dangerouscurves.org):

Emphasis mine...

Be safe out there everyone!
  9. GSjoyride

GSjoyride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been following this over on Tyler's Caring Bridge journal and just read what happened here...hadn't known the cause until now. We learn from reading others' misfortunes. You can follow her healing journey at the link below::thumb

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tylerrisk

Joy
  10. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:
    Thanks all (well, all but one of you :lol3 ) for your caring thoughts.

I have heard from one of the folks at the scene that Tyler's first reaction after the wreck was to chastize herself for making such a big mistake. She knew right off that her error had put her in great harms way, and I think we can all take something away from this; We are human, we all make mistakes. (Except those of us who are perfect, and even they are making a mistake when they look down on the rest of us mere mortals and criticize.) It is very easy to say shoulda woulda coulda but the truth is, we all have been the person making the mistake at some point in our lives.

Tyler is being moved back to the Bay Area this w/e and is making great progress in her recovery...on to the skin grafts!

Again, for Tyler, thanks for all the support. :raabia

Ride safe, get home to your loved ones.
  11. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:
    Thank you for spending your first post on my friend, Tyler. :thumbup

n00bs ROCK! :raabia
  12. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    It shocked me to read it as I usually don't go into the accident forums.

I do know people will be fighting each other to help her when she gets back home. She's the kind of rider and friend everyone needs. (No, I don't know her personally but she has very big footprints.)
  13. ridingAK

ridingAK On the Road Less Taken...

Oddometer:
    Tyler is an amazing person who has positively impacted many riders. I had the pleasure of meeting her in person for the first time only a few days before the accident. She is one of those people who deserve all the well wishes we can send them.
  14. Icehole

Icehole HOOLIGANZ

Oddometer:
    wishing all the best to Tyler and her family.
  15. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:
    UPDATE...Tyler is back in CA and doing well, she faces a lot of skin grafting and Physical Therapy from the injuries, but she is expected to make a good recovery.

Steve
  16. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope you heal quick, Tyler.
    Best wishes sent. :nod
  17. drtbkmic

drtbkmic A Real Gem

Oddometer:
    Heal up soon. From looking at the pictures of friends and all the well wishers it looks like you are one loved lady. My prayers are with you.
  18. BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99 Horizon Chaser

Oddometer:
    Tyler is back in California. The doctors are focusing on getting her legs back on the mend.

For those who don't know, a fund was established for Tyler. It closes today at 6:00 pm eastern. Members of 4 forums have donated almost $12,000 to help Tyler with the impending expenses.

For more information, Clicky Here.
  19. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    I am not sure how this incident could have occurred,but my best wishes are with the rider.
  20. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:
    They were stopped at a T intersection behind the truck for a long time. Tyler passed the truck (we do not know why, talk to the driver?:dunno) on the l/h side, when she got to the cab approx. the driver pulled away making a left turn and the drive wheels ran her over. She was trapped between the two sets of wheels and the ground.

I know Tyler well, witnesses said she was very angry at herself for making such a mistake. I believe them when they say she was royally pissed at herself.

We are all human and make mistakes.

Thanks to everyone for their best wishes.