Anyone live in one province and work in another?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Some_Dude, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the next two years my primary residence, wife and kid will remain in Alberta.

I’ll work and have a secondary residence in Ontario. My employer will fund the residence but the agreement will be in my name (money paid into my account, then I pay the landlord).

I’ll be returning to my primary residence on a semi-regular basis (frequency still TBD), and will be in Alberta on Dec 31st of each year.

I’m curious how the licensing/plating will work? Anyone gone through this before? Any tips?
  2. NorOntScout

NorOntScout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine is the opposite. He has vehicles at both. He does drive back and forth on occasion. If the vehicle was plated in Alberta he leaves that plate in place, just make sure your insurance is aware. He has had a chore getting some bike insurance. Shopping around is almost a necessity according to him
  3. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had to do this in the past. Your driver's license, vehicle license and insurance will have to be changed over as you would no longerbe considered a visitor (Valid for 1st 60 days only).

Do you own a home in AB? If so, you may be able to keep paying income tax in AB. Suggest you talk to an accountant.

Are you going to get an Ontario health care card? If not how will the AB care card work in ON should you need it? Careful here... there could be income tax implications. Talk to your HR staff.

Playing the dual province game is not an easy one...
    gpfan likes this.
  4. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    My vehicles are all plated in AB and insured out of Ontario. I suspect I won’t have a lot of issues with the Ins company.

The one I’m more concerned about is the plates as I’m getting mixed messages on it. Officially, my residence remains in AB. My address doesn’t change.
  5. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    Ontario is 90 days, but I’m getting mixed messages on this one. I’m no longer a visitor, but I’m still a resident of AB with a home, dependants, and a third vehicle that will remain in that province.

Not required. I have different medical coverage than the average Canadian.

Not really my choice.
    MGV8 likes this.
  6. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems to be the new order of things. Lots of BC families have hubby working in Northern Alberta, even still.
  7. JoWhee

JoWhee Deviant but not dangerous.

Oddometer:
    If you're going "home" to Alberta on a semi regular basis, then keep your stuff in AB. If you're in Ontario but still near to AB it probably won't even be an issue, you may also want to look on websites for university students who study out of province. I live in Ontario but work in Quebec, I'm home every night. My personal vehicles are registered and insured in Ontario, my work van is company property and reg'ed and insured in Quebec. If Alberta has better or less expensive bike insurance, keep your bike plated there, Ontario insurance is expensive and doesn't cover much under the minor injury guidelines.
    The real issue would be if you have a work related injury, would you be covered under AB or ON wsib? from personal experience: I had a ladder fall on my arm while getting it off the truck, it happened in Quebec so CNESST. I hurt my back, but it was semi acute, semi RSI, it didn't show up until the next day when i tried to get out of bed, I was off for about 2 weeks. Neither province wanted to pay, and my company ended up saying "fuck it" and they paid, then they went after the CNESST, who then paid me, which I then paid back to the company, then the CNESST went after me for double dipping. It was a real shit show. My company ended up repaying the CNESST for what they paid me, and is still in talks (probably arbitration) about the original payout. The cherry on top was I got a t4-something for my income tax return, you guess it! For the payment that the CNESST sent me.
    gpfan likes this.