Anyone out there have the Sena SMH10?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sixsevenfive, Mar 24, 2010.

1. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Yes, it will pair with the headset profile and you'll get navigation instructions over the headset.
  2. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Same problem here so I use a neck tube (buff/gaiter/wossname) - which i wear over my ears (see top right of the picture), keeps them earbuds firmly in place. It has the added advantage of helping keep the helmet cleaner. I vary the weight and length according to the weather - ie in summer ultralight/wicking and in winter the biggest, warmest bugger I can find :)

[​IMG]
  3. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I also use there. Any good MP3 player (and many phone apps) will have an EQ so you can tune the sound you hear thorugh the system. I turn the base up and it sounds even better.
  4. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    thanks blue lighting. I think you are the one who turned me onto cardo years ago from a report you did.
  5. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Technical Q for the wizards out there.
    When my Sena is paired with my buddy and we're talking I cannot get GPS (BMW Nav V) directions unless I disconnect from buddy's Sena? Is this a setting I have wrong or is not designed to work like that? It would be nice to have a conversation and still be able to get directions. I have it sync'd to my Iphone and Nav V.
    Steve
  6. brnsrgn

brnsrgn Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have same issue. Tried contacting Sena, and got the run around with "email" help. I think the 20 fixes this, but I am unsure.
  7. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Normally a GPS and/or a cell phone have a higher priority than the Intercom, and on most GPS's the nav instructions come over the HFP connection which is the highest priority connection.

My bet on the Nav V though is that it's sending the GPS instructions over the A2DP connection (Media profile) which is a lower priority than the intercom, hence why you do not hear it unless you disconnect from the intercom. There may be a setting in the GPS to configure the nav instructions to come over the HFP connecition, but I think the Nav V is basically the Garmin 660/665 which honestly has a lot of issues with the way it's BT works.

I think one of the biggest issues with the 660/665 aka Nav V is that it always connects with the A2DP profile, even if you don't use it? Do you listen to music from your Nav 5 or your iPhone? You might try a selective phone only pairing with the Nav 5 and let your iPhone grab both the HFP & A2DP connections which might then force the Nav 5 to send navigation instructions over the headset profile. Like I said, there might also be a setting on the GPS, but this is really a Garmin question and not a Sena question.

There are a couple ways around this, but none of them are that cheap. You could buy the Sena SR10 and have the hard wire audio out signal from the GPS go to the input on the SR10. With the SR10 paired as the 2nd HFP device, I think it will "mix" the audio in the background when you are in an intercom mode. Either way, it will be an HFP connection, so it should have a higher priority.

The other possibility as the other poster said is the 20S allows audio mixing so that if a user is in intercom mode, they can mix in music in the background. So technically you could be listening to music through the GPS while in intercom mode, and when the nav instructions came over the media profile, you would hear them mixed in too.
  8. brnsrgn

brnsrgn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should have specified that for nav I use my iPhone.

I have the low profile 10, so I will wait for a smaller version of the 20
  9. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Has to do with priority. You're NAV V will have a lower priority than your communication connection with your buddy.
  10. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You pretty much nailed it - again. ;-)

One clarification: my experience suggests that the 660 (and so probably the Nav V) uses both A2DP and HFP when pairing with Sena helmet radios, with no way to selectively pair. This means you cannot pair any other A2DP device without risking weird behavior, ranging from dropped connections to distorted audio, to just refusing to pair at all.

I chose to go the SR-10 route, mostly because I want radar alerts at high priority, but the side benefit is that I can turn off Garmin's buggy BT altogether.

-dan
  11. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Well, then its definitely a priority issue in that the media connection has a lower priority than the intercom. Just about all smart phones (including iPhones) send their GPS instructions over the A2DP profile. This is so that if you are listening to music through your device in your car or other setup, the nav instructions get mixed in with the music over the same device you are listening too.

Once again, this is not a Sena issue as any BT headset out there puts music at a lower priority than the intercom. As I mentioned though, the newer Sena 20S does a good job of mixing audio from two different profiles.

If you don't listen to music via your iPhone, you could look for an iPhone app that changes the BT to Mono and basically forces all stereo BT audio that would have been routed to the A2DP connection over the HFP connection instead. You would search for them as "BT to mono". There's many examples out there, but here's just one example I quickly found. - http://www.goldenloop.com/btmono/

There are a couple issues this will introduce though. If you do listen to music via your iPhone, its now going to come over the Mono connection and pretty much sound horrible. Also even though you particularly want the Nav instructions to interrupt your intercom, I don't think its going to work out as well as you think. It's going to cut your connection off between you guys just like if you got a phone call and I can't remember if it automatically reconnects or you just get dropped.

Either way in my view, it's not going to work that great, but you could give it a try to see what you think.
  12. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    The latest versions of the Sena firmware let you stream your music via bluetooth to other people connected to you. So why can't you just long press the jog dial like you would to set up the music streaming/sharing and get your GPS instructions "streamed" to you and your riding buddy?
  13. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    That's an idea too and they could do that, but you can't "talk" while the streaming is going on. You can switch back and forth though between intercom and streaming.
  14. brnsrgn

brnsrgn Been here awhile

Oddometer:

great information, and far more informative than Sena was.

I do listen to music, so that solution, as you suggest is less than ideal. I'd rather get lost and keep laughing with my friends, so I guess, I'll just risk missing the voice directions, and watch the nav from time to time when using the intercom.

These tech devices are evolving so fast, won't be long before there is a sena 20, that's more compact.
  15. Ck622

Ck622 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The apple maps app streams via the hfp. All others that I know of stream via the a2dp. So if you can deal with Apple's app, that might fix your problem.
  16. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year on a long (nearly 4k miles) trip, my SMH-10 intercom performed beautifully and lasted for many hours. But I finally managed to out-ride the battery one day and naturally it crapped out just when it was needed most -- getting dark, raining, semi-lost, and my buddy needed to tell me his gas tank was low.

Has anyone found a convenient way to power the Sena while riding? I'm thinking of fabricating an emergency cable, but that will hardly be convenient. Preferable would be a battery pack in my pocket, but so far the SMH-10 refuses to play nice with my Targus 4800 mAh external iPhone battery.

Suggestions welcome.

-dan
  17. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    The easiest solution I've found is to just give it a charge during lunch. I'm sure you stop for a good break now and then and just plug it in on the bike and leave it in a tank bag while you eat lunch. I've found that a 30 min charge or more easily pushes it well beyond a 12+ hr day in the saddle. I've never had it die on me when I've given it a quick charge during lunch and I use music and intercom a lot.

Technically, you can charge it while using it. The biggest obstacle is getting a cord that is long enough to reach the Sena while it's on your helmet and being able to plug it into a socket you have on the bike. I have a plug in my tank bag and if need be, I can use the actual Sena cig plug and it reaches okay. It's not optimal, but it works.

Another idea I have, but haven't tried it yet is there are tons of those portable battery chargers now on Amazon and such with various mAh ranges. You could put one of these in your pocket and it would be an easy reach to the Sena headset in a pinch if you needed to extend the battery. Infact this seems like a great backup for the exact scenario you ran into and these are pretty small and easy to carry around. The good thing is you can charge this battery in your tank bag during the day while you ride or just make sure you always keep it full ready to go if you need it.

Similar to my first suggestion, you could charge your Sena at lunch or on breaks, but take your helmet and Sena inside with you and just use the battery pack to charge it while you eat.

3200mAH - http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Porta...id=1426078939&sr=8-2&keywords=jackery+battery

6000mAh - http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Bar-P...id=1426078939&sr=8-1&keywords=jackery+battery

12000mAh - http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Porta...id=1426078939&sr=8-3&keywords=jackery+battery
  18. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks -- I can't believe I didn't think of the lunch stop idea. Fabricating a cable for that should be a lot easier than trying to jury-rig a usable helmet connection.

As for portable power, as I mentioned, my Targus 4800 mAh 2.1-amp battery won't cut it with the Sena for some reason. It stops charging after about 30 seconds. So I'd bet the 3200 mAh one above would be worse, perhaps. No idea if bigger would work, but I'll look into it. Has anyone here tried this?

Thanks again,

-dan
  19. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I have a 3200 I haven't tried and I had a 12,000mAh one, but I've lost it. :(

I'll see what my 3200 does and if it behaves the same way yours does.
  20. GAVic

GAVic Largely unnoticed

Oddometer:
    I have one of those I picked up at a best buy. When I get home tonight I can tell you the exact one. It works great. I have had the same thing happen once. The wife and I rode all day with music playing and that evening about an hour before we were going to stop the lady started telling me my battery was low. Stuck the battery in my top pocket ran the charging cable up to the Sena and it worked great until we got to the hotel and charged it back up. I have used it a couple of other times as well. Decided to go for a unscheduled ride and had not got a chance to get a full charge. The battery has kept me going every time.