Anyone out there have the Sena SMH10?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sixsevenfive, Mar 24, 2010.

1. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many thanks - that would be very helpful.

-dan
  2. GAVic

GAVic Largely unnoticed

Oddometer:
  3. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    So I'm testing charging one of my headsets right now and it's working fine (past 10 mins). I have the Jackery 3200mAh I linked above and it's working fine. I would say this probably depends more on the brand and not the mAh, but obviously a larger mAh gives you more charging time and a higher amperage charges it quicker. I like this Jackery one and its been very reliable.

- http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Porta...id=1426078939&sr=8-2&keywords=jackery+battery
  5. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many of these battery packs require a certain minimum draw to stay "on" while charging. The SMH10s probably don't draw enough to pass this threshold. One solution is to plug in something else at the same time that will draw enough to keep it on, like your phone.
  6. KTMInSFL

KTMInSFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With the Sena SMH10, when 3 riders are connected at the same time, can all 3 riders have open mic communication (no push to talk required)? I'm thinking of getting 3 of these for myself, my 9yr old son and my wife for use off road, and neither of them will be able to ride with one hand while pushing a button to talk, so I'm looking for a completely hands free solution for 3 way taking.
  7. GAVic

GAVic Largely unnoticed

Oddometer:
    It can and more as I understand it, I have personally done three..
  8. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely. The manual shows how to do this.

Rider A would open an intercom connection to Rider B.
    Rider C would then open an intercom connection to Rider B as well.

All three riders would then be on an open Intercom, able to talk and hear each other. No button pressing needed other than the initial connections.

Rider B should be the middle rider, since their unit will be the bridge between the other two, and distance is a factor.
  9. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    3 is easy. As posted one rider is a bridge between the other two. If you ride in the order you are connected, it also helps extend your range.

I've personally done 6 riders connected at once. Once you get over 4, it gets tricky getting everyone connected, but it can be done. And again if you are riding in the order you are connected, each bridge basically helps you extend the range so the 1st & last rider can be quite the distance apart!

If someone in the middle drops though, you basically break the chain.
  10. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    I can also confirm 3 is easy; my riding buddies and I do it all the time.
  11. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride 'The Cartographer'

Oddometer:
    I've had 7 on one intercom ( open mic ). I have no idea how we did it and I'm not certain we could do it again. I believe 6 is supposed to be the limit. I have done 6 often and I can replicate that, though.

I've also successfully used the universal intercom to pair with a non-sena BT headset. The range left a bit to be desired ( probably due to the non-sena unit ), but it did work. I've always had excellent range with sena-to-sena pairings.
  12. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One additional observation: battery life seems to be a bit less for the "bridge" unit, so if you have a mix of Sena models (such as two SMH-5s and one SMH-10 in my case), make the beefier SMH-10 the bridge.

-dan
  13. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I don't think there really is any limit. Sena officially only supports 4 (2 bridge units), but if you keep daisy chaining them and set up the bridges right, you could just keep connecting. But keeping all the pairings straight and getting everyone to connect in the right order becomes a lesson in patience and perseverance. :lol3
  14. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Correct, we've seen that too that bridge units take a hit on the battery and for some reason the 20S being a bridge seems to take even a bigger hit.
  15. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Bridging the Senas and music sharing. Hm.... Music sharing on steroids.:evil
  16. AmILostYet?

AmILostYet? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok so just an update on this soldering mod: make sure the solder is making a good connection, make sure that the drivers that you use are decent quality, and check the impedance of them to make sure they can be powered correctly.

They worked fairly well up until a few months ago when certain mid frequencies in music now start to have a wobbling effect, distorting the sound and generally being distracting. Unfortunately there's not much I can do since I'm transferring to a more expensive university and won't be able to replace the mount/speakers for awhile. So be careful.
  17. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a bluetooth headset that has a warranty longer than Sena's 2 year warranty or is at least more durable? I purchased a SMH10 2 and a half years ago and it started getting loose in the clamp Just recently causing one speaker to stop working. I replaced the clamp and it still does the same thing. I spoke to Sena and they said they don't have a repair facility and since it's not covered under warranty, to buy a new unit. They said the pins were bad and I was hoping they could at least repair it on my dime. I use mine everyday year round and it's a shame it's disposeable after only 2 1/2 years. Is Cardo more durable?
  18. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    More than 2 year warranty on electronics? I doubt you are going to find that anywhere and this day and age 2 years seems pretty good.

Do you have the older units before they put the reinforcements around the pins? I would have thought it would be connectors on the clamp that would have been worn and a new clamp would have fixed that. Do you have a bent pin or broken pin perhaps?

Do you take your unit out of the mount a lot? I mean yeah it sucks to think of them as disposable, but they take a lot of abuse too.

Here's the comparison of an older one vs a newer one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a broke pin on this one, but it doesn't affect anything
    [​IMG]
  19. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. I have the non-reinforced pins. I had no idea they revised them. I do take mine out once a week to charge it since it gets used 7-10 hours a week.
  20. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I have several helmets with various bases, so mine get moved around a bit too, but I have it setup where I can charge mine right where I store my helmet. if it you only have one main helmet you might think about doing that just to cut down on the wear of removing and re-installing into the base.