Anyone out there have the Sena SMH10?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sixsevenfive, Mar 24, 2010.

1. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an SMH10 on both an RF1100 and my Arai (good or bad my woman wears the same size helmet) it all mounts quite easily as designed. No way in hell would i glue it on. The clamp will never touch your ear even if you have circus freak ears, since it tucks between the shell and liner. Give it a shot as designed.

I don't often check these threads but i use a sena about 2 -3 hours per day in all weather conditions. I charge it about once every 4-5 days.

I usually just use it to listen to music or podcasts when solo and intercom two up. I occasionally answer the phone if I'm expecting a call. People are typically shocked to find out I'm doing 75 on a bike

My woman had to get used to it because she called me and i would be taking to her about whatever. She would get agitated after a while because she was expecting to hear me say "I'm leaving work soon", while i had been hauling ass the whole time and thought she could hear the bike. Now she knows to ask what I'm doing. Typical response "about 80".

Last week i was on the way to work and got a call. It was a medical billing person. I informed her that i could talk but not write anything down since i was on the bike. She was quite surprised and after we had talked she asked me "did you say you're on a motorcycle? Because my dad rides and when ever we call him we can't understand a thing."

Oh and another thing. When i first got it i thought it was good to about 35 Where wind noise would make it not worth the effort. Then someone suggested that i use foam ear plugs. GOLD. i can now hear perfectly to speeds i wont publish. And the bike sounds turbine powered.

Dammit. Last comment. I have both the flex boom mic and the small stick on one. The flex boom is in my Arai helmet. As far as sound goes they are the same. My usual helmet is the Arai. As a pilot the flex boom is just a natural. When my woman wears it she tends to move out around so it goes from clear to her sounding like she's in another room.

2. jwawhite

jwawhite Yeah, it's a Selfie

Oddometer:
    I have a GS with Nav 5, she has an F700 GS. Sena 10s for ea of us. My GPS hooks up with verbal Navigational directions and I get music from the mini disc. I have an old flip phone which, still, allows me to accept and make speed dials. Here is the issue: when we "hook up", my music stops ( don't know if the verbal navigation directions work or not) but music will continue when I push the jog dial which disconnects me from her. Looking at my GPS music screen, it seems my music may be on pause. Any suggestions? A different hook up order?
  3. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds normal, what are you hoping it will do?

The SMH10 can play your music OR have an open intercom for talking, not both at the same time. The music is supposed to pause when the Intercom is opened, and un-pause when it's closed again.
  4. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    +1, that is the correct behavior for the 10. You can also do music sharing on the 10 which is holding the jog dial in for 2 seconds while you are in an intercom mode which will then share your music with your partner, but it closes the intercom. Then either of you can hit the jog dial to bring you back to intercom.

The 20S does give you the ability to hear your music in the background while you are in intercom mode.
  5. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    That's the sole reason I want a 20S. My wife loves the intercom open at all times but I enjoy listening to music. It'd give me the best of at least 1 world. :D
  6. TheIglu

TheIglu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you guys had any issues with getting the speakers on your Sena to sit far back into your helmet enough not to rub on your ears while riding?

After about 3 hours, my ears are killing me. Don't want to cut into the foam liner of my new Arai, but I think I may have to.
  7. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Each helmet design is different and yes you really don't want the speakers rubbing your ear or they start hurting quick.

On most helmets, getting the speakers very close to the helmet straps gets them in a good place and on most helmets there is some space here. Others, not so much.

On some helmets, there's room to slide the speakers under the helmet liner and usually this compresses enough that you can't even tell it.

At a last resort on some helmets, you actually have to carve out some of the foam to make room. Use your best judgement.

Post up the exact model of helmet you have and maybe someone else can comment what they did?
  8. TheIglu

TheIglu Adventurer

Oddometer:

Arai Signet-Q

I didn't even think of pulling the liner out. I'll try that tonight and report back. Thanks for the idea!
  9. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to make small indents in my foam to get them sitting in there far enough.

The problem I've had is general oddness. For instance:

Sometimes, the Sena and the phone just decide to no longer like each other. It will work for hours or days, then just stop. Then I have to unpair and delete the Sena from the phone, then re-pair it, and it works, until it doesn't.

Another odd thing is that it seems to stream Pandora just fine, unless I open up the intercom. When the music comes back, it's scrambled for a few seconds, then resumes normal play, except, it hiccups every minute or so. Like it pauses for maybe half a second, then starts back up.

The strange thing is, it behaved like this with my iPhone 5, and does the same thing with the Note 4 I have now. It's annoying, but not annoying enough to get rid of it.
  10. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Have you tried a factory reset on the Sena headset? You updated to the latest firmware?
  11. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, I really haven't tried anything. I just sort of dug it out of winter hibernation and just started using it. I haven't really investigated the problem yet.
  12. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Start with a factory reset, then hook it up to your PC and update to the latest firmware. Make sure you clear all pairings and re-pair to your cell phone. Delete the pairings on both the Sena & your phone.

Give that a try and that should help you.
  13. nitsuj

nitsuj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll try it today. I assume firmware update instructions are on their website. I don't have the manual here at work with me.
  14. no66

no66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noticed some problems after getting android 5 on my SGS4.
    Music fires up instead of Poweramp. Think this is more of an phone os prob, not a Sena prob.

Anyway, have done a reset and a re-pair. Hope it works better.

Yes, latest firmware
  15. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was wearing an Arai Profile and had the Sena installed, I installed the speakers under the fabric covers on the cheek pads and they never bothered my ears. I don't know if your Signet-Q has the same setup as the older Profile or not.
  16. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    It's a default music app issue on the phone. Look up how to clear the default app and then text time you use the Sena to fire up the Music, it should pop up a menu of possible music apps. Choose PowerAmp and hit "always" and it should set it back to the default.
  17. no66

no66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks BlueLghtning

I was looking at that the otherday, but default app buttons for both Music and Poweramp were greyed out in the Application manger.

Rebooted the phone and found a music file in ES file explorer and there I could set the default player so all good.
  18. no66

no66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bah, If I do a voice activated song play, it still fires up Music. Think in android 5, native apps overun the default.
    Its not working as smooth as pre. 5. Have to start poweramp and often have to push play on the phone to get things running.

Before it would just start up when I pushed the knob on the Sena regardless if the app was running or not. :-(
  19. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    I've got Tasker installed and setup where connecting the SMH10 has Poweramp automaticaly startup and Keyguard disabled (no lock screen). Disconnecting the headset has the Keyguard re-enabled.
  20. no66

no66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good idea. Have Tasker, will look into it. Thanks