Anyone own one of these?....

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by TWBmusic, Nov 26, 2019.

1. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had really decided to buy a new Genuine Hooligan... that is until someone suggested that I pickup a lightly used scooter instead. So I started looking and found the following:

Revised list from original post:
    2013 Aprilia SR50 R Factory
    2015 Kymco Super 8 150x
    2017 Yamaha Zuma 125
    2016 Genuine Hooligan
    Genuine Buddy Kick (new)

These are all listed for around $2k give or take a few hundred. I really need the scoot to be able to do 2-up riding (on occasion) but really it will only be used for running to the local grocery store which is four long block away on residential streets. .. The Aprilia piqued my interest only because it is considered a performance scooter for a 50cc size and it has quite a bit of after-market mods that can be done to it for even more available power. Reviews that I have read on various sites have said that the Kymco, both Genuines and the Yamaha are all capable of 2 up riding. Anyone have experience with any of these?
  2. MiniBike

MiniBike Casual Observer

Oddometer:
    There are fans here for each of the above (including Genuine). Hang on. :lol3
  3. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    There is no downside to taking an MSF Safe Rider Course; you will certainly be safer to yourself and others on the road.

For even occasional 2-up use, I'd be leaning towards the Like 200i or the Super 8 150. I'd put the Hooligan 170i back into contention, as well. We sold/traded 2 2013 Honda PCXes in the last couple months, both well below your $2k budget; another consideration for you.
    Chillis likes this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of these scooters will get you to the store and back. For 2 up riding the like 200 is the only one that isn't really small. Depending on how big you and your passenger are most of these scooters may be too small. Go sit on these scooters and see how you fit.
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aprilia, not great 2 up. Finicky engine that can have problems(mine blew the motor and was fixed under warranty).

It was so fun though. Especially after a derestriction. I had a pipe and did full transmission kit.

It was a very high quality piece. After it chewed up the engine I never did feel confident with it. Ended up selling it.

I miss it.
  6. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a grocery getter - having a flat floorboard is a requirement. I can fit a 30 pack between my feet on my Vino 125 and Buddy 125 :-)
    Dirty bike likes this.
  7. Dark

Dark Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might also consider an Aprilia Scarabeo 150, they can be had for under $2K. It's a big wheel scooter that would handle 2 up grocery runs. However, with big wheel scooters you loose under seat storage. Good luck with your search.
  8. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Invest in the motorcycle course... think of it as a long term investment. And it's fun too :D

Then you can pick and choose whatever you want on the market.
  9. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put 36,000 miles on a bought new '09 Vino 125. Good solid scooter, but has a couple of issues. One, the fuel filler is UNDER the luggage rack, so you have to remove whatever you have on it to put gas in it. And mounting a top box to it requires you to fabricate some sort of extension to clear the filler. The upper exhaust bolt tends to break. It is a poor design. I fixed mine and it never broke again, but I'm not sure exactly how, it's been a while. You have to drain the oil to change the belt, so you can't do it beside the road. I had to have mine hauled home because of that. You also have to replace a gasket and O ring. But the engine is stone reliable, air cooled 2 valves super easy to adjust.
  10. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    If you are in California you have to get a motorcycle endorsement to ride a scooter, unless it has pedals too or is electric with a governed low top speed. The 50cc limit is not true for California. Don't buy a 50cc to run errands in a city traffic situation. You just can't get out of the way fast enough and you'll feel like a sitting duck all the time. Some 125's are OK, otherwise look for a 150.
  11. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leave to California to figure out a way to extort MORE money out of its citizens... I did read after I posted that you can take the Motorcycle test without taking the class. I resent having to spend $258. (per rider) to take a class... I'll just study the material online and take the test. I think a 50cc would be fine for the use that I need... People don't drive crazy on residential streets... it's on the highways and freeways that you need to beware of lunatics!
    Kevinforesthill likes this.
  12. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think those two issues alone would be enough to put me off the Vino... I think I'd be more inclined toward the Zuma 125... Though I do love the retro styling of the Vino over the sportier Zuma....
  13. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have tried the Buddy 125 at a local dealer and it was TOO small for both my wife and myself to sit on. I assume that the Vino would be similar in size to the Buddy.. In the Genuine line the Hooligan was the right fit...
  14. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the PCX, but it is not a complete step=through.... I don't want something that I have to straddle to get on....
  15. TWBmusic

TWBmusic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What was the issue with the engine? The reviews/ videos from people that own this scooter are very positive...
  16. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Your next stop should be the AF1 forums.

The problems they can have are numerous. Condensation on the fuel system is one of the big ones.

Fuel injection system has a compressor, fuel injector, and air injector.

Fuel pump will guaranteed fail. There is a fix to do it. I did it to mine and it was almost impossible.

Go do some research before falling in love.
  17. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Aw, that's cute that you think people don't drive crazy on residential streets. It is a well-known fact that the lunacy stops at the freeway exit ramp. :jack

You can take the test at the DMV (unless California is different than other states), but you won't have the advantage of legally riding someone else's bike during the initial learning process (and the occasional drop) AND having someone to help you to not learn bad riding habits.

Keep us posted.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Californians are moving here in droves and the driving is crazier than ever.

I don't feel comfortable with a slow bike on city streets here. Stopped riding bicycle on the road here as well.
    klaviator likes this.
  19. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    The written test should be no problem. The driving test is pretty ridiculous, testing your ability to go very slowly through a slalom and doing donuts in a tight space. It's hard to pass because it's so unnatural, and unlike anything you really need to know. The class costs, but they give you a certificate that you passed their tests, and then the DMV only charges you its fees and gives you the M1 license. And you often get a break on your insurance costs if you take the class. But it's all up to you, like pretty much everything else about scooters. That's the good part.
  20. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    If any rider has trouble negotiating slow parking lot style moves or swerving through cones . I recommend and the "Ride Like a Pro" videos.
    If you are lucky enough to find one of the franchises near you , go sign up for the riding course.
    The Ride Like a Pro , is taught by former motor police officers, you learn the basics that they all need to learn before they can hit the streets.