1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Anyone put a totaled bike back on the road in MN?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by MNdirt, Oct 16, 2019.

1. MNdirt

MNdirt less than 1% juice

Oddometer:
    Long story short, I have the opportunity to buy a damaged 2015 S1000rr from a close family member for a good price. He bought it back from his insurance company and offered it to me.

Anyone been through the process here in MN? It's my understanding that there are forms that need to filled out by the person that does the repair and then an inspection before a title can be applied for. Sound about right?
  2. Streeter

Streeter Has Coping Skills

Oddometer:
    It's been many years, so I don’t remember and don't know if anything has changed. There is an inspection station on Como in St Paul. Best if you have an appointment. Get the paperwork first, keep all receipts for parts.
    2WheelNeal and MNdirt like this.
  3. 2WheelNeal

2WheelNeal F'n Neal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much what Paul said. Keep receipts, document everything you do or have done, then haul it to an inspection station.
    How damaged? Cosmetics? If there is any damage to the wiring harness, plan on buying a new one. Some of it is sensitive enough to the impedance that soldering stuff together doesn't work. Silly Germans :lol2
  4. MNdirt

Oddometer:
    Hey Neal,
    His BMW dealer says all it needs to run is a stator cover. The rest is plastics, paint, a mirror, and so on. It went down on one side and slid for a bit. No collision or flipping over. Fairly certain I could part it out and get my money back and then some if it came down to it, but I'd rather explore the option of putting it back on the road.

Mostly, I'm wondering if the inspectors are simply concerned with the machine being safe, or if they fuss over plastics, road rash that didn't get fixed, etc. It's my intention to make it look good, but making it perfect again would take the point out of buying one that needed work.
    2WheelNeal likes this.
  5. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    Does your family member have the salvage title?
  6. 2WheelNeal

2WheelNeal F'n Neal Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my experience, the inspection was very basic. A cursory look at the item, a few questions, and look over the paperwork.
    Sounds like an easy fix, sweet! :thumb
  7. MNdirt

Oddometer:
    Well, a dude offered my brother really good money for his BMW and he took it with my approval. At the price he paid there isn't a lot of room for unexpected issues. I hope the fella that bought it knows what he's doing. I'm seeing minty ones advertised for 11k. I don't doubt they could be had cheaper than that in the winter.

Thanks for posting, guys. If there's anything to be learned from this, it might be to consider buying back a wrecked bike if the numbers look good. My brother made some money buying back the S1000RR.