Anyone regret buying a KLR?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bullwinkle58, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I never mentioned KTM,you did.
    I called nobody names.

And you may also need to get outdoors and go for a ride,worrying too much,they're just bikes,others will have different opinions and always will.
  2. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My regrets. I assumed you were referring to your KTM in your following comment:
    Now, did you, personally, ever regret buying a KLR?
  3. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    No problem,Ive ridden a KLR,Ive had an 03 DR650 for 4 or 6 years. I was going to get the KLR but figured out a DR is a little better in the dirt,so no regrets on a KLR but a DR has suited me better then the Kawi would have.
  4. stevie t

stevie t some dude, somewhere....

Oddometer:
    My only regret was not getting one earlier...it was the bike that got me off the tar.....as in roads, not heroin...
  5. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    No regrets on mine, which I had for a couple of years.

I used it as a "bridge" on which to train for a Baja 1000 course ride. Getting used to dealing with situations on the pig of a KLR enabled me to go anywhere I wanted to go, when I picked up the bike I really wanted to make that Baja trip a reality.

Sold the KLR for about what I paid for it.
  6. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    FD, I think people buy KLR's, DR's, and similar bikes because of a reality factor also. Sometimes what we want and what we can justify are at odds with one another. I've had 4 of the KLR water buffalo beasts...and no...that's not really meant to be a knock to the bike. I'd compare some of these discussions to how I might select a pickup truck. I'd love to have a Ford Raptor. Not even being a Ford man, I think it's a pretty awesome truck. But...it costs somewhere around 60K. Instead, I own a 2012 Ram Express Hemi at about 20K. I'd kind of like to have a KTM690 enduro model. But...it costs around 10K. A KLR costs closer to 5K.

I "could" afford either of the premium vehicles in my scenario, but I'd be unable to take more trips and use my semi-disposable income to enjoy life in many other activities. My Dodge Ram works really well and achieves all of its assigned tasks very competently. The KLR's I had performed quite well and got the job done in many on and off road situations over many years. I've thoroughly enjoyed both vehicles and certainly have no regret in owning and using them. When money is no object or one is driven strongly enough to buy a top tier vechicle regardless of the financial pain, it's easy to snub others who can't or won't make the economic commitment. I will argue against those who try to compare a KLR to a KTM on some kind of equal footing in terms of performance, but there is a monetary reality that most of us have to face. The good news is that a KLR is not a horrible bike. My 20K Dodge Ram is not a Raptor. Fun, satisfaction, and getting the job done can still be accomplished without robbing banks or selling a kidney.

Now, I'll also admit to having moved from KLR's to a well modded KLX250/300, but I'm riding little pavement now and don't take trips on the bike...something the KLR does quite well. And at 62, it was getting harder to pick up the KLR when it was on the ground. That's reality. Sometimes it's based on mechanical absolutes and sometimes it's based on money...or both.
  7. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    I only regret selling it....:(:

I have owned a yamaha Xt, KTM 640, an 05 KLR and currently ride an Xchallenge. I have a Concours for the street.
    While the X has significantly more power and significantly less weight, it , like ALL bikes, is not perfect out of the box. While the KLR is lacking in several areas (though I found it very comfortable) most of these can be easily and cheaply fixed, while nothing from Hans & Frans (BMW) comes cheap.:ddog
    Do I regret owning the X? Absolutely not! But I do mis the simplicity and low expense of my KLR. It was quite simply the most fun for the least dollar.:deal
    Cheers!:freaky

Bob
  8. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't because they're popular and I was able to sell it quick and get my money back before I dumped a bunch in it. :deal
  9. Vintagemetal

Vintagemetal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I love mine. Took it on a 600 mile weekend trip recently with my BMW friends and it was great fun. Only thing I really want to change now is the seat and get some handguards. I've got a narrow ass so after about an hour I was shifting around every few minutes. We did 70mph highways and 1st gear dirt trails. The bike was great and I could handle it just fine and I'm not a huge guy. The wind over 65mph was rough so maybe will add a tall screen too but I don't do highways very often.

I rescued it from a PO who did not take the best care but it was cheap and easy to get back into good condition. I've ridden sport bikes, cruisers and DS. If I had money I'd get an f650 but oh well, the KLR rules for my budget.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    The exclusivity thing with KTM's is way overblown,most of the ones Ive had have been under 3K to buy used.
    Lots of used ones out there,Im not trying to say Im some rich guy buying nothing but orange,Im definitly not.

But for long mileage trips a KLR/DR does a great job and goes and goes.
  11. BobbyLee666

BobbyLee666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have not regretted buying mine at all (I'm on my 2nd one). It's a great, general purpose bike that can go everywhere I want to go and do everything I want to do.
  12. Bullwinkle58

Bullwinkle58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses, you all have helped me understand what it is I'm after. To clarify, I am keeping the 530, so I'm not looking for the magical do everything well bike.

Here's what I expect out of the KLR:

Decent wind protection.
    Comfortable enough to ride long distance.
    Enough speed to cruise at 75 loaded with camping gear.
    Enough hp to pass at highway speeds.

I'm going to assume it does all of that, otherwise it wouldn't be so popular, right? I still think this is the bike I'm looking for.
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    These two are "it depends" answers.

Yes, a KLR will run at 75. Add gear and its aero drag, and you may still run at 75, perhaps at WOT though.

How quickly do you need to complete that pass?
  14. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:

I have had 3 KLRs. They are OK, just OK. When I got my Dakar I realized I was dragging the KLR rear brake through the turns to settle the suspension and frame. I wasn't conscious of it till I switched bikes and then realized how much I compensated for the bikes shortcomings.

I had a chance to spend 3200 miles on a 990 last year and now I feel the same way about the Dakar.... :lol3
  15. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a couple regrets, neither of which are a huge deal. I regret not doing a little more research in buying a used one and not getting a '96 or newer as it's less work/cost to upgrade to a 685 than for my '93. In a small way I regret the purchase because my FJR is collecting dust in my garage.
  16. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    After 45K trouble free miles I regret nothing. Especially the 10,000 mile round trip to thru western Canada and into Alaska...and the trip into the UP of Michigan. Beyond regular oil changes and basic stuff, I have had to replace the front brake light switch and the oil seal behind the water pump.

The KLR ain't a 'dirt' bike. FAR too heavy for that. BUT, it has taken me thru some pretty gnarly places. Great reliability, long range from the factory. Load it like a mule and just go. I am pretty meticulous about maintenance, but not about washing the bike. It's a KLR, after all.

It is never going to be a Husky or a KTM.

I do regret not being more skilled at riding in the sand when we started the UP trip, but I got better by the end of the day :lol3
  17. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    LOL!...Skill only takes you so far in riding a KLR in the sand. Even Charlie Mullins can't defy the laws of physics when it comes to weight and power fighting sand on a KLR.:lol3

Your describe trips in your post are just what the KLR excels at.
  18. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Indeed! I love the Pig, no doubt. But the name suits it well.

Frankly, I was lucky the sand was pretty wet! My first time riding sand. There were spots where it really was deep. AND, we were riding with all our camping gear and stuff as well.

Had the sand been dry, the carnage would have been much greater. The picture below is the first drop. The second was about 20 feet later :lol3 :poser

"When in doubt, gas it!" quickly became the motto. The 606s and stock gearing did pretty well, really. But underneath all that gear, I was soaking wet with sweat. Not sure I have ever been that tired after a day's ride in my life. We probably ran 40 miles of the narrow, twisting trails and all that damned sand!

[​IMG]
  19. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I Had a 2007 that I bought new. Rode it for about 15,000 miles. I ended up trading it in on a 2006 XL883, as I also had a 2007 XT225 at the time. It was a great motorcycle for me at that time. But, I never took mine off road. I rode it year round for years in the Seattle/Tacoma area, rain or shine, and down to about 26 degrees. I sold all my motorcycles when we moved here. I would not mind getting another one. I left it 100% stock, and it was fine. Maybe it was my build, but I found it to be extremley comfortable. No regrets, except that I wish I had it now.
  20. Bullwinkle58

Bullwinkle58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have very little street riding experience, so maybe I'm concerned about something that isn't really an issue, but I worry about people tailgating / me getting run over if the bike can't at least keep up with traffic on main highways.