Anyone regret buying a KLR?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bullwinkle58, Apr 22, 2014.

1. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will outgrow it… I did :deal
  2. AJay112

AJay112 Back on the, "old" ADVRider...

Oddometer:

Anyone know why the wife would put Sunoco race gas in a KLR ?
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever it was it has to be better than finding myself a tall, red haired, fair skinned kid born into a family with three short, black haired, dark skinned older brothers from around the time my dad was deployed in Med several times. Just sayin' it could be worse. :evil
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    stats say 20% of kids born are a product of a brief fling of passion with the mailman or the neighbor/cableman/bible salesman.

Odd but supposedly true. Possibly Oprah has done shows about it or at least Jerry Springer
  5. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode a KLR for over ten years. It did everything I asked it to do. I got to the same destinations as my riding buddies every time. I sold it to a guy at work three years ago and still get to see it every day. I told him when he was ready to sell it I'd give him his money back. I'm not sure I'd ride it much, though. It would be more about the memories of the places I'd taken it.
    The problem I had, and the reason I sold it, was I bought a bike with a design brief that included a much stronger dirt element. (I won't declare here for fear of the flame.) Once I did this, I never rode the KLR again. My KTMs (OOPS! - two thumpers and a twin) do everything the KLR did and much, much more. The buy-in is higher, sure, but I don't actually spend much more on maintenance. The latter is probably due to the fact that I'm a pretty conservative rider. I ride almost every day, so from a cost per mile perspective I get a pretty decent return, regardless.
    Although I've not studied it much, I'm not sure the new series is actually an improvement. Based on what I see out there in the martketplace, I'd spend $2K +/- on a bike from the early 2000s and ride it for a while. If you like it, you're done. If you don't, you'll be able to get your money back.
  6. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I was at that pancake place,it was Ron Paul doing a fundraiser,not Jesus.
  7. Bullwinkle58

Bullwinkle58 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ideally this is what I'd do, but I would have to wait until next year to spend $10k+ on a used 990 or tenere (the two bikes I dig the most). It's sounding more & more like the KLR will be "good enough" though, and I think I can accept its lack of performance as long as I dont feel like i'm going to get run over on the interstate.

Good tip.:nod

You all have been helpful. As of right now my plan is to go ahead & pick up a used KLR, put some miles on it, then decide if I can live with it before I "farkle" it out with panniers, skid plate, crash bars, etc.

:beer
  8. pismoe

pismoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    garbage bag green , it was a nice bike [best color ever]. I sold it , shoulda kept it as it did everything I really need out here in the world of 2 lanes and fireroads plus they can go around the world from what I've read . Now I have a BONNIE , nice bike but i'm thinking smaller and lighter DR 650 , maybe !! New KLR is getting pretty big , same as the Bonnie .
  9. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Always best to settle for just barely good enough.

Then later buy what you want,lord knows Ive done it.
  10. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone regret buying a KLR - 76 posts to date.

10 responses by Footdragger and 6 by Wisewoodsguy, 21% of all the posts in this thread and none of them are directly topic related and they may have at one time ridden a KLR? I guess their own bike threads (KTM and DR) dont give them enough love and attention so they need to come to others, especially KLR based, and troll there.

By all means participate, but at least stay relevant to the thread topic. At least then you might garner some credibility.
  11. AJay112

Oddometer:
    I can make up some stuff to regret if you would like... like having to go to three different isles at Home Depot to buy parts for it. Why can't Kawasaki and Home Depot get together on this ?

I really don't see FD and WWG being Trolls, I would say they are "active in the community. I would describe myself as a Troll however.
  12. AJay112

Oddometer:
    My wife (The Rebster) lived by this throughout her twenties... which somewhat explains why she married me.
  13. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure you won't regret it. You will certainly move on at some time. Most riders want to experience as many bikes as possible. Just like me:freakyI've "moved on" but cerainly will never regret having owned a KLR. I will probably buy another after the bankrupcy of owning a Beemer:rofl
  14. JustinOther

JustinOther KLR MUTANT

Oddometer:
    Let 'em hone their respective intellectual contributory skills here lest they embarrass themselves in the applicable forums.
    I'm sure they think they are contributing...
  15. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are on the right path my brother. Marrying up is what allowed me to finally move beyond a lifetime of dirt cheap Japanese dual sports to almost as cheap but infinitely more cool used European bikes.

What happened is that after being married to a high octane model long enough for even my simple mind to process what was happening, it dawned on me that part of what makes her high octane is looking the part.

That, my friend, costs more per year in shoes than a KLR costs new. Which made realize that maybe, just maybe, it really is OK to own something nice. Not that there isn't a certain weird panache to riding a crap bike well.

Having people see you ride a (way) less than high performance bike well has the same effect as people seeing my wife with, well, me. But I finally moved beyond that stage of my life to one of trying to have better things.

Hopefully she won't do the same.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Legally,this is an open forum,posting is allowed. If this doesnt suit you start your own site and make rules.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    A Troll you are,but a Troll with a KLR. I was this close to buying one till I joined up as an inmate on ADV,and stumbled on the DR650 thread,it was very close though.
    I would have regretted it for sure after putting in some time on one later.
  18. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes I regret buying klr's.For a company with such resources the bike falls short in three major categories.Power, weight and suspension quality.I keep hoping and keep getting dissapointed.
  19. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    I like mine because it's simple. I've ridden my buddies KTM525SX and that thing is just stupid, but it's no adventure bike.
  20. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    No question that we post at the free will of the owner and mods, however, if you had read the last sentance, it suggested;

" ...By all means participate, but at least stay relevant to the thread topic. At least then you might garner some credibility".